News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Microsoft Surface Pro 7+ with Intel Core i7-1165G7 shows potential casual gaming chops as Iris Xe iGPU easily outguns Nvidia GeForce MX350 dGPU and AMD Radeon RX Vega 8 in OpenCL

Started by Redaktion, January 19, 2021, 20:50:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The new Microsoft Surface Pro 7+ has made a couple of appearances on Geekbench that point to the convertible laptop being ideal for some light gaming sessions. The Iris Xe iGPU in the Surface Pro 7+ device's Intel Core i7-1165G7 managed to outscore both the Nvidia GeForce MX350 dGPU and AMD's Radeon RX Vega 8 (Ryzen 4000 class).

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Microsoft-Surface-Pro-7-with-Intel-Core-i7-1165G7-shows-potential-casual-gaming-chops-as-Iris-Xe-iGPU-easily-outguns-Nvidia-GeForce-MX350-dGPU-and-AMD-Radeon-RX-Vega-8-in-OpenCL.515653.0.html

Myron

Russel

MX 350 is essentially a tweaked MX 150. And MX 150 was released back in 2017.
Vega cores are actually based on GCN, but let's just take vega as part of vega 64/56. That was also a 2017 product.
Both NVIDIA and AMD released newer gpus with newer architecture. We'll probably see more 25W gpus from nvidia soon, and we've been seeing leaks of Van-Gogh from amd with RDNA 2 gpu. So basically intel which is richer than amd and nvidia combined has got a gpu that can match 3 year old tech from those companies, while falling behind in CPU performance.
I am actually more surprised that they haven't been able to crush both these companies with all the resources they have.
Intel has never tried to innovate more than others. They show more enthusiasm when it comes to milking the customers while offering as little as they possibly can..

Wha

Do you have even the most crudest idea of what a GAME ENGINE is?..
OpenCL has NOTHING to do with gaming, or even computer GRAPHICS.

ZODD

Anyone who has ever tried to game on Surface Pro tablet knows performance takes a huge hit due to thermal throttling .
Not the fault of Tiger Lake which is really good in products that can thermally contain it with a good cooling system something no Surface Pro tablets have ever had.
Maybe the've worked on the cooling but until I see testing done that last more than a few minutes at a time I would expect more or less the same

LHPSU

Quote from: Russel on January 19, 2021, 21:10:50
Vega cores are actually based on GCN, but let's just take vega as part of vega 64/56. That was also a 2017 product.
Both NVIDIA and AMD released newer gpus with newer architecture. We'll probably see more 25W gpus from nvidia soon, and we've been seeing leaks of Van-Gogh from amd with RDNA 2 gpu. So basically intel which is richer than amd and nvidia combined has got a gpu that can match 3 year old tech from those companies, while falling behind in CPU performance.
I am actually more surprised that they haven't been able to crush both these companies with all the resources they have.
Intel has never tried to innovate more than others. They show more enthusiasm when it comes to milking the customers while offering as little as they possibly can..
MX350 is based on the 1050.
Just because this is a stupid article doesn't mean your reply should be equally stupid.

R31ya

As comment below note, mx350 is basically tweaked gt1050 or basically have performance around base ps4.

That's not bad for integrated graphics.

While more AAA game will jump to ps5/xboxsx performance, not all game will require that much performance.

It should able to game less demanding game easily.

_MT_

The biggest problem is that performance in games is pretty dependent on drivers. Even if Intel has the raw performance, they probably won't have the drivers. That's where AMD has a significant advantage as they produce proper gaming cards. Of course, if Intel really wanted to, they could deliver. They've got enough money. Really, I can think of only two ways into the GPU game: data center/ HPC and gaming. It seems Intel might be more interested in the HPC route.

xpclient

Does Surface Pro 7+ use DDR4 RAM or LPDDR4X RAM? Notebookcheck should mention this for every Tiger Lake machine.

Russel

Quote from: LHPSU on January 20, 2021, 02:12:36
Quote from: Russel on January 19, 2021, 21:10:50
MX350 is based on the 1050.
Just because this is a stupid article doesn't mean your reply should be equally stupid.

Well. You missed the point famously. The point was that both MX 350 and Vega 8 are based on age old architectures. If it's based on 1050, then it's even older than 150. 1050 is a 2016 product.
Either way, they are based on Pascal (GP 108/GP 107).
The point I was making was still the same. Intel just caught up with relics and is boasting about it. They have more money than the two companies combined, yet they never tried to innovate seriously.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview