News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Polish source claims Nvidia and Intel worked together to block the marketing of premium AMD Ryzen 4000 laptops with high-end GPUs in 2020

Started by Redaktion, January 19, 2021, 20:39:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Back in mid-2020, laptop OEMs explained that the inclusion of dGPUs more powerful than the RTX 2060 would not really make sense on Ryzen 4000H systems, as their performance would be limited by the 8x PCIe 3.0 lanes. However, the Ryzen 5000H systems still use only 8x PCIe 3.0 lanes, yet they come with up to an RTX 3080 dGPU option. Something is not adding up.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Polish-source-claims-Nvidia-and-Intel-worked-together-to-block-the-marketing-of-premium-AMD-Ryzen-4000-laptops-with-high-end-GPUs-in-2020.515615.0.html

Myron

A$$holes. Totally shows their behavior by past examples. I would not buy any of their machines if I can help it.

JayN

"Intel still has a big plus with the exclusive Thunderbolt support,"

Thunderbolt 3 was made open, as was Thunderbolt 4.  Intel's currently integrates the digital section of these into their CPUs or PCH, but they also sell discrete chips.

see anandtech article intel-thunderbolt-4-update-controllers-and-tiger-lake-in-2020 from July 8, 2020.

geekinasuit

The problem is "if I can help it". Intel seems to own the laptop world, making it very difficult to find a decent AMD based laptop despite AMD having the best mobile chips. I hope the situation changes, but Intel (and now Nvidia) are probably not done with whatever tricks they are up to.

ariliquin

I little more effort from manufacturers to add AMD to their premium options would be appreciated by consumers. Its obvious there was a lot going on to keep AMD out, but ultimately consumers will decide and manufacturers will have to respond regardless of Intel or Nvidia roadblocks.

Wha

And the Ryzen-related CONSPIRACY THEORIES just keep on giving.
"Intel-only contracts", "artificially lowered TDPs", "forced throttling", and now, a brand-new entry for 2021 - let's call this one the "bandwidth paradox". Lovely.
Stay crazy, people.

Alex Giordmaina

You know what else was difficult all year...finding an AMD 4000 mobile chip laptop that came with a QHD or UHD screen. Every time i went to try and spec the AMD CPU I only got offered FHD! As soon as i switch to intel CPU suddenly i was offered QHD and UHD.

In the end to get close to what i wanted i had to buy Huawei

kek

yeah, I'm not buying this one. Sorry, but it is what it is and even Renoir-U has shortages and what not. It seems everytime something goes wrong with AMD, it's anyones fault except them.

AMD has a fkin GPU division. Why the hell they didnt come up with their own combo offering then?

LHPSU

Trump has offered more solid evidence for voting fraud than this investigation.

Take from that what you will.

Intelinjun

There is a stronger force at work still pulling the strings on Intel. Not on this topic, but They're kowtowing to some government entities who rely on the continued private ownership of intel's Management Engine.  Intel knows their headaches would all clear up if they did something about the IME.

Mantapede

Look, look, look: the "stronger forces" (!), engaged in "string pulling" (!!).
AMD's inability to secure a single contract outside of console + server market... Has lead to this dude loosing his frkn mind. This is profound
It's like that story that dems ran for 3.5 years, - bout how one russkiy, buying $50K of Facebook ads, has secured a landslide for the 45th. Men-tal.

Charlie Huang

POS. No wonder everything is losing at this moment. Please keep doing what you are doing. Then, you are buried in history.

hahaha

We all knew it.

And tech sites, you know, people who live 24/7 with technology because that's how they make money, supported that idea.

Now that we are in 2021 tech sites will start coming out with articles like this and pretend that they are socked at the news.

mick_fr

i bought a dell g7 with i7 10750h and 2070m.

i wouldnt the i7 but couldnt find any ryzen/2070 combo.

finally my g7 is a scam due to thread throttling.

i swear, no more intel ! I will boycott them, also as nvidia now. !!!

this kind of things blow my mind.

Silvy

While admittedly this is a weak source currently, I fully expect more revelations to be made on this soon. Intel and Nvidia have a decade spanning history of foul play and anti-competitive tactics. Wouldn't surprise me for an instant that they're resorting to it all again, especially as Intel currently have their back up against the wall still struggling against Ryzen.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview