News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Xperia 1 and Xperia 5 start receiving Android 11 a month early as Sony sets an example other OEMs should follow

Started by Redaktion, January 17, 2021, 20:16:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

There are reports that Sony Xperia 1 and Xperia 5 smartphones have started receiving an Android 11 update earlier than scheduled. The Android 11 rollout has apparently already begun in Russia and Southeast Asia, even though the Xperia 1 and Xperia 5 were expected to receive the software update in February.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Xperia-1-and-Xperia-5-start-receiving-Android-11-a-month-early-as-Sony-sets-an-example-other-OEMs-should-follow.515528.0.html

Bill MM

Wald

I got xperia 5 II for 2 months now and I can tell it's a brilliant phone super fast and all that but one thing you will need to lern again is how to make a photos in dark condition on automatic mode. Is more difficult than other phones, you can't move your hand for like 4 seconds but if you done properly is unbeatable. Battery is the best thing very long time keeping if you use original charger out of the box 18w is wicked when I got 20% and put on charge using this charger then 20min later I got 70% and this last you till next day trust me this phone is battery king.

A

What example is that? Do remember that it takes time for developers to update their apps to insure nothing breaks between versions. While having faster releases is nice and all, it is often times better to wait and let other people be the guinea pigs.

The big difference between Android and say iOS is since Android is more powerful and gives more control if you need it, 99% of the features of Android 11 can be done even on Android 10 if the user really wants it.

The only real useful thing is that Google Play being able to push "some" fixes in emergencies.

But over all, I'd rather manufacturers port to new versions properly and developers get time to test everything rather than hurry out the bleeding edge.

Mike Hughes

Reputation? Hmm.
A reputation takes a long time and a lot of ONGOING effort to build. I used to work for IBM and I consider their customer service and support to be Gold Standard. I felt Sony was a kindred spirit in that sense. However, anyone who has used the Sony and Xperia websites heavily to support a plethora of devices for various groups of people will know that they are an abomination of disconnected data and plainly maintained by different teams. Xperia uses two separate websites, one for sales and 'Ooh-Rah-Isnt-Our-s***-Marvellous-Beyond-Belief' and another for support, documentation, white-papers etc. The two are entirely separate. The content is not crosslinked, frequently does not match and one will have specification data that the other doesn't and vice versa. I have even bought one newly released model which was entirely absent from the support site and even after bringing this to Sony's attention, it was not added. The web based support sites for Sony and Xperia do not synchronise with the (again two separate) android applications.
I am sick of their sites asking me for feedback because having spent a great deal of time supplying detailed, accurate and technically specific feedback, it has not been used to improve the customer experience.
Hurrah, they are updating x&y to android 11: Whoopy. So they bloody well should. I though, far from being impressed by that am still bristling that my XZ Premium 2017 Flagship (bought specifically for it's 4K HDR display that I use to remotely operate a Canon DSLR and to supply audio to my Sony Car system which was not supported AT ALL) is stuck with Pie9 and last had a security patch in August 2019. My many years as a loyal Sony afficianado (BTW, my home cinema ecosystem is Bravia, also dropped off the support system far too quickly but my audio is in a league Sony cannot hope to get near) are sadly coming to an end and I am genuinely sad about that but it is not my choice,. Sony have given me absolutely no option.
Mike Hughes.

SmallPhoneUser

So my xperia xz2 compact seems to get no further updates :-(. The Snapdragon 845 is on par with the processors built into the actual google pixel 5 which will get updates for at least 3 years from now. So there is no technical reason.

So guess my next phone has to be a pixel or an iPhone to make sure things stay up to date and secure.

Mark Victorson

Who needs updates on Android?
All apps update separately.
Keyboard and smiles? Gboard. Updates on play market.
SMS? Messages app, updates frequently from the Play Market.
Music, Photos (album), even the Google Camera app! All update from the Play Market. Browser, too. All the most commonly used software where one possibly could get some security threat are separate modules and get updates years after the official support is over. My Xperia ZR with Android 5.1 still gets software updates! STFU those who compare iPhone update cycles to that of Android devices.

Anthony Savary

Sony phones cannot handle updates.
I've had 3 different flagship sony phones and everytime there was an android update, the phones would crash,  freeze, unable to make calls, over heat, battery drain, etc..

I finally gave up on Sony even though I really did like there phones. They should be testing the updates before rolling it out.
On the forums loads of people had the same issues I was having.

STEVE POTTS

2017/09/27,,,I,BOUGHT MY, EXPERIA PHONE AND I CAN'T SAY, I, HAD ANY, PROBLEM, TILL, YESTERDAY SMART PHONE, CLAIMED MEMORY AT,,, 85%,,,AND,  THERE IS NO, TRAY, FOR A, MEMORY CARD,,, I, PAID, CASH, FOR THE PHONE AND CHOSE THE CELL PROVIDER,,, IT, SHOULD HAVE, CAME WITH A, MEMORY CARD AND TRAY,,, TO, GO, CHEAP ON THE TRAY, LET ALONE A, MEMORY CARD, OKAY, ON THE, MEMORY CARD,, THE TRAY,,, IS TROUBLING,, IT SHOULD BE PART OF THE, PHONE,,, NOW GO, FIND ONE,,,

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview