News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Samsung provides a deep dive for the Galaxy S21 Ultra's new 108MP camera sensor

Started by Redaktion, January 15, 2021, 23:41:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Galaxy S21 Ultra launched with a new 108MP main shooter, even though the OEM did not introduce it by name exactly during the show. However, it is apparent that it is called the ISOCELL HM3, the first of its kind to debut with nine-pixel binning and an 0.8 micron pixel size. Samsung asserts that it can enhance dynamic range, clarity and detail compared to its predecessors.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Samsung-provides-a-deep-dive-for-the-Galaxy-S21-Ultra-s-new-108MP-camera-sensor.515282.0.html

ChinaLiedPeopleDied

Between the Samsung Note 3 and 7, I was really excited to follow new phone changes, but after my trusty Note 4, the 8 and Now 10+ are really forgettable devices with some frustrating new "features" such as the physical Bixby button or extremely unreliable in-screen fingerpring reader.

Maybe I'm getting old (30) haha

S.Yu

Put simply it doesn't add up. HM1 was the same size yet had 0.7μm pixel pitch, unless they improved BSI somehow and made the photosites larger, but I don't think that much of an improvement could have been made on an already BSI design. Nothing from this article seems new except the pixel pitch.

Tim T.

Quote from: S.Yu on January 16, 2021, 07:08:32
Put simply it doesn't add up. HM1 was the same size yet had 0.7μm pixel pitch, unless they improved BSI somehow and made the photosites larger, but I don't think that much of an improvement could have been made on an already BSI design. Nothing from this article seems new except the pixel pitch.

Hi S. Yu, according to Samsung's official spec sheet the HM1 is 0.8μm...  I don't think it's possible for the pixel sizes to be 0.7μm in the first place since it's a calculation of the megapixels and sensor size, which are the same in both sensors. But yeah coming from the slightly disappointing performance of the S20 Ultra let's wait and see if the new sensors live up to the marketing or if they're only creating the improvements with better software.

S.Yu

Quote from: Tim T. on January 16, 2021, 19:17:53
Quote from: S.Yu on January 16, 2021, 07:08:32

Hi S. Yu, according to Samsung's official spec sheet the HM1 is 0.8μm...  I don't think it's possible for the pixel sizes to be 0.7μm in the first place since it's a calculation of the megapixels and sensor size, which are the same in both sensors. But yeah coming from the slightly disappointing performance of the S20 Ultra let's wait and see if the new sensors live up to the marketing or if they're only creating the improvements with better software.
Sorry, I got it backwards, there was rumor that they were trying to shrink the pixel pitch down to 0.7, but the current model is 0.8...and that makes it more of a mystery how this new model is unique at all, i.e. "the first of its kind"

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview