News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Xiaomi slammed with US blacklist; refutes assertions of Chinese military ties

Started by Redaktion, January 15, 2021, 12:24:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Without warning, the US government has now slammed Chinese smartphone makers Xiaomi with an American investment ban supposedly due to ties with the Chinese military. Xiaomi, in return, refutes those claims but that's unlikely to count for much.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Xiaomi-slammed-with-US-blacklist-refutes-assertions-of-Chinese-military-ties.515159.0.html

toven

Just let Nexus use their Android by themselves. Tech companies around the world should ally for new open sources and services.

S.Yu

Comac is guilty, goes without say, but Xiaomi...I don't have much to make assumptions on. I can only say that in recent years the CCP's grip is tangibly tightening around all aspects of society, the Party Central's word is law, and can easily defy common sense with nothing to keep it in check.
This is no exaggeration:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/you-will-be-assimilated-chinas-plan-to-take-over-the-global-economy/ar-BB1cIaLF?ocid=spartanntp

Popo

Oh well, Xiaomi never had any real Western presence anyway. Seems like anything the CCP touches is crap anyway.

Bjork

China, is one of the few things Trump is right about.
COMAC is a serial offender when it comes to stealing technology without any consequences - https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/300313-report-chinas-new-comac-c919-jetliner-is-built-with-stolen-technology
- https://fortune.com/2019/10/19/chinese-hacking-plane-stolen-tech-cyber-saturday/   ...Good thing they were blacklisted, better would have been prosecution

..and Xiaomi has always been able to sell phones for so cheap, no one can't wrap their heads around it. Even its other bang-for-buck Chinese peers like Oppo, Vivo, Realme haven't been able to match the prices of products like Poco F2 Pro, Redmi K30 series or the Mi 10i / 10 lite etc..
There is something else going on ,..behind the scenes - https://www.cnet.com/news/xiaomi-defends-data-practices-after-being-accused-of-tracking-private-phone-use/

LHPSU

The only reason your Oppo, Vivo, Realme haven't been blacklisted yet is because Trump doesn't know they exist.

kek

Quote from: LHPSU on January 15, 2021, 15:58:13
The only reason your Oppo, Vivo, Realme haven't been blacklisted yet is because Trump doesn't know they exist.

Not really. BBK is a huge group, like Alibaba. It takes some time for the CCP to acquire tight control over a corporation. Xiaomi was dead in the water in this regard, since it has been part of the party since its foundation

Bertrand

Can't really trust Xiaomi anymore !
When a company like Alibaba ( and ANT group) has to unwilling bow down to the State, there's no way Xiaomi can battle them, even if they were trying to be not associated with the Party in the first place.

heffeque

Quote from: Popo on January 15, 2021, 14:51:12
Oh well, Xiaomi never had any real Western presence anyway. Seems like anything the CCP touches is crap anyway.
I guess by "Western" you mean the US, because Europe is full of Xiaomi phones (and probably Latin America too, though I can't confirm). Worldwide, Xiaomi sold more phones than Apple (though obviously with much lower margins).

AlexS

"Oh well, Xiaomi never had any real Western presence anyway. Seems like anything the CCP touches is crap anyway. "

Sorry but that is is really ignorant. Seems you live in a bubble.
It is USA is isolating themselves because they have no competition to these Chinese phones that all the world buys.
Crap? If that so why USA is incapable of being competitive with them, it should be easy, no? What US company competes with Xiaomi or Huawei?

Jony

"It is USA is isolating themselves because they have no competition to these Chinese phones that all the world buys."

The US is not a production type of economy like China. They do not need to compete in the same price bracket as China and so don't need to devolve regulations and life quality standards to meet Chinese produce. The US traditionally produces leading edge tech that then becomes mass market driven by the likes of the Chinese.

Jony

The US is one but also Canada and Australia and a number of EU countries that I visited. The US is not the only western country.

Quote from: heffeque on January 15, 2021, 22:28:23
Quote from: Popo on January 15, 2021, 14:51:12
I guess by "Western" you mean the US, because Europe is full of Xiaomi phones (and probably Latin America too, though I can't confirm). Worldwide, Xiaomi sold more phones than Apple (though obviously with much lower margins).

Jony

"If that so why USA is incapable of being competitive with them, it should be easy, no? What US company competes with Xiaomi or Huawei?"

When did the US express a desire to compete with Xiaomi? Huawei can't get much of its components and software without US supply, so I think this Chinese competitiveness is really propped up by the US and by themselves, they would still be stuck in the pre-Nixon era.

FlexD

Quote from: Jony on January 16, 2021, 16:12:43
"If that so why USA is incapable of being competitive with them, it should be easy, no? What US company competes with Xiaomi or Huawei?"

When did the US express a desire to compete with Xiaomi? Huawei can't get much of its components and software without US supply, so I think this Chinese competitiveness is really propped up by the US and by themselves, they would still be stuck in the pre-Nixon era.

Not everyone needs to compete in everything. I can't see any value for first world countries to compete on the cheapest product segments and selling them in third world countries. That just doesn't make sense. Apple is the closest to Xiaomi and Xiaomi copied a lot of design, hardware and software things from Apple (Xiaomi's laptops for example). So what exactly is Apple going to be able to copy from Xiaomi? Not a lot that would make sense in markets that Apple caters to. The Saudis compete in the oil market, but Norway wouldn't compete with them at these prices. Doing business smart is not doing business in bulk.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview