News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Asus takes a page out of the PlayStation 5, will incorporate liquid metal cooling in all of its upcoming ROG laptops starting this year

Started by Redaktion, January 12, 2021, 19:43:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Your next Asus ROG gaming laptop will sport Thermal Grizzly liquid metal to improve CPU temperatures and hopefully prolong its lifespan. Asus has been perfecting its automated application process over the past two years.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-takes-a-page-out-of-the-PlayStation-5-will-incorporate-liquid-metal-cooling-in-all-of-its-upcoming-ROG-laptops-starting-this-year.514690.0.html

TrumpLiedDemocacyDied

TruthIsThere

So, just like the PS5, that has a massive aluminum heatsink, consumers needs to replace their unit every 2 years or so, or take it somewhere to reapply the TIM, right?

Oh, hell no!

DF

Wish AW would consider at least something high quality in paste.  If LM could be managed, even for a fee, that would be best.  Why wouldn't all vendors let someone add it onto the build cost since the at the factory application wouldn't be all that bad.

_MT_

Quote from: DF on January 13, 2021, 02:36:03
Wish AW would consider at least something high quality in paste.  If LM could be managed, even for a fee, that would be best.  Why wouldn't all vendors let someone add it onto the build cost since the at the factory application wouldn't be all that bad.
I, on the other hand, would be willing to pay extra to avoid liquid metal being applied. Sure, I would pay extra for a quality paste and a good application (or well finished contact surfaces for that matter). I'm no expert on this, but AFAIK, liquid metal compounds are not intended to be used long term. It's a kind of high performance, high maintenance solution for enthusiasts that constantly toy with their computers and don't mind risking their destruction. Over time, performance can significantly degrade (more than eliminating any advantage). They're not only conductive, but also corrosive (and they're difficult to remove once applied as they creep into other materials - you'd have to remove the contaminated material, e.g. by sanding). With Asus, I can proclaim it a marketing stunt. On the other hand, I would expect Sony to know better. Have they actually came up with a solution that will last? Only time will tell. It certainly doesn't inspire confidence in me.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview