News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

HP Envy 14 with Tiger Lake and GTX 1650 Ti Max-Q is the company's first color-calibrated 14-inch laptop

Started by Redaktion, January 11, 2021, 02:33:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

At CES 2021, HP has announced the Envy 14 aimed at mobile content creators. The Envy 14 offers a combination of the Core i5-1135G7 and NVIDIA GTX 1650 Ti Max-Q and comes with a 14-inch IPS touch display that is color-calibrated out of the box.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Envy-14-with-Tiger-Lake-and-GTX-1650-Ti-Max-Q-is-the-company-s-first-color-calibrated-14-inch-laptop.514267.0.html

Dorby

John Smith

Quote from: Dorby on January 11, 2021, 03:47:46
Would've been perfect with 35W AMD 5600HS, 5800HS chips, and 2 open memory slots. Oh well...
It probably won't be able to cool a 35W chip along with a 40WGPU. By the looks of it, it probably has a 3-4 heat pipe, dual fan cooling system, and I doubt that it can cool that heat load. HP found a pretty good balance here, with a 15W (maybe 25) chip and a 40W GPU.
As for the memory slots, no laptop nowadays at 14 inches has memory slots, at least not from my knowledge. The laptop would have to be a bit thicker if it would have memory slots.

Dorby

13-14" Lenovo Ideapad, Thinkpad, HP Elitebook,  MSI and Dell Latitude all have laptops with 2 SODIMM slot. The real reason behind soldered LPDDR4x-4266 memory is for Tiger-Lake-U performance boost, not because of the chassis' physical limitation. A good example is LG Gram series transitioning to soldered memory this year with 11th gen, despite all the backlash.

HP sets the Envy 13's (iGPU) TDP up to 30W max, so I'm sure the more power-efficient Ryzen 35W chips wouldn't be a problem. Lenovo and Tongfang are two manufacturers working on 35-45 AMD chips in smaller, lighter ultrabooks, so I'm sure HP is perfectly capable if they tried, since they already have the OMEN gaming laptops and ZBook workstations that were without serious thermal issues in 2020.

Also, the 1650 Ti Max-Q in the Envy 14 should be 35W TDP variant, probably even more power limited as HP did with the previous Spectre x360 15s.

So really, HP has no excuse here for not providing us consumers with an AMD option with better performance, efficiency, serviceability at a lower price.

Mothertrucker19

Quote from: Dorby on January 11, 2021, 04:51:18
HP sets the Envy 13's (iGPU) TDP up to 30W max, so I'm sure the more power-efficient Ryzen 35W chips wouldn't be a problem.

But that's 30W total, not a 35W CPU and a 40W GPU.
but HP's ryzen policy (which devices get it) is really weird.

John Smith.

So really, HP has no excuse here for not providing us consumers with an AMD option with better performance, efficiency, serviceability at a lower price.
I agree that they don't give an option for an AMD processor, but 11th gen Intel has almost the same efficiency as 4000 or even 5000 series Ryzen. Intel's 10nm CPUs have the same density as AMD 7nm, but with their "Superfin+" they undervolt it a tad bit (around 50mV), making it more efficient than Ice Lake, which itself had almost the same efficiency as AMD 7nm.

Allahu Akbar

A shame about the haram mushy, low travel keyboard combined with missing trackpad top keys.

No idea why it was necessary to add a legacy charging port instead of a 2nd Thunderbolt 4 port.

Dorby

Quote from: John Smith. on January 11, 2021, 14:20:46
I agree that they don't give an option for an AMD processor, but 11th gen Intel has almost the same efficiency as 4000 or even 5000 series Ryzen. Intel's 10nm CPUs have the same density as AMD 7nm, but with their "Superfin+" they undervolt it a tad bit (around 50mV), making it more efficient than Ice Lake, which itself had almost the same efficiency as AMD 7nm.
I hope that's true, since we're seeing almost similar performance from 10th gen and 11th gen, even lower performance on more expensive 25W i7 vs 15W i5. That's where I'm concerned, this discrepancy between all these same chips due to poor cooling system design.

On this Envy, hopefully HP can do a better job than Razer did on the Blade Stealth...

Mevluthan

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview