News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Kirin 9010 and Snapdragon 888+ rumored for late 2021: 3 nm process for HiSilicon's chip, possibly to appear in a Huawei Mate 50 smartphone

Started by Redaktion, January 02, 2021, 09:14:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

It has been rumored that a HiSilicon Kirin 9010 chipset based on a 3 nm manufacturing process could be released in the second half of 2021, possibly to feature in a Huawei Mate 50 smartphone. On top of that, it's also believed Qualcomm will produce a Snapdragon 888+ SoC at around the same time.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Kirin-9010-and-Snapdragon-888-rumored-for-late-2021-3-nm-process-for-HiSilicon-s-chip-possibly-to-appear-in-a-Huawei-Mate-50-smartphone.512775.0.html

Ashwin

I call bullsh*t on the 3nm Kirin chip.
It would be a pretty big deal if they can get TSMC's 5nm, forget TSMC's 3 nm node. Also, China's leading chip manufacturer SMIC has a 7nm node which doesn't even compare to TSMC's 7 nm, no chance of a comparable 5nm or 3nm.
Huawei says they are starting with 45nm so a 3 nm is possible ONLY if SMIC ( or the Chinese govt.) has completely stolen TSMC's 3nm tech, which I am afraid to say— is quite possible.

petunia

Quote from: Ashwin on January 02, 2021, 10:43:51
It would be a pretty big deal if they can get TSMC's 5nm, forget TSMC's 3 nm node. Also, China's leading chip manufacturer SMIC has a 7nm node which doesn't even compare to TSMC's 7 nm, no chance of a comparable 5nm or 3nm.
Huawei says they are starting with 45nm so a 3 nm is possible ONLY if SMIC ( or the Chinese govt.) has completely stolen TSMC's 3nm tech, which I am afraid to say— is quite possible.

it is quite possible that they have bought staff from TSMC and Samsung. Even yet, it will usually take more time when you start from 0 than 1 year. Even if you have the plans and everything, you need to build the machines and you have to test a lot of things. So yeah, that's kinds too fast. Huawei is a big company that is surely capable to do a lot if they invest R&D in, but they will not be able to slow down time for them.

S.Yu

Quote from: Ashwin on January 02, 2021, 10:43:51
Actually you can just leave it at "I call bullsh*t".
A node--good thing--cannot be stolen. To steal a cutting edge node you basically need to steal a few dozen separate technologies not to mention around an equal number of cutting edge raw material subject to export control, and even if you've stolen everything you need a few months of tests and calibrations on site to get reliable yields. Lithography is more complex than a stealth fighter or a rocket to mars which is why the best China has been able to manage was to headhunt industry professionals and start from older nodes. I believe it's practically impossible for CCP related entities to acquire 3nm GAA within 5 years bar a Taiwan invasion, and without Taiwanese locals razing the foundries to the ground first.

Ashwin

I agree with what you say.
It's just,  you can never underestimate CCP's stealing prowess. Much of the knowledge that the country possesses is through stealing.
The CCp cares a lot about saving face. Huawei making a public announcement about 45 nm, taking the manufacturing of cutting-edge chips from the ground up as a challenge, is a front from something else considering it took a lot more time for other leading chip manufacturers to do this naturally..

Zach Afrid

Same was said when Kirin 9000 came in to existance. I see Indian comments here with full of jealousy,  Indians believe that everything  Chinese build is based on stolen technology which is funny. If it was this easy why Indians can't build chips based on same concepts. Chinese have a lot of money to spend on R&D for different technologies . They can buy or develop new machines at fast pace. Sanctions  are making Chinese stronger and more aggressive in Semiconductor field.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview