News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

HP Omen 15 laptop Review: Strong AMD processor makes Intel tremble

Started by Redaktion, January 02, 2021, 07:33:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The AMD version of the HP Omen 15 scores with powerful components at a fair price on paper. In the test configuration, the GeForce RTX 2060 is accompanied by a Ryzen 7 4800H. Find out here whether the cooling system plays along and which strengths and weaknesses the 15-incher has otherwise.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Omen-15-laptop-Review-Strong-AMD-processor-makes-Intel-tremble.512679.0.html

puzzleduser

Why would you even bother to review a gaming laptop with 60Hz, 58 sRGB, and 200Hz PWM? Or why did HP send you this particular config?

Bobby

Quote from: puzzleduser on January 02, 2021, 11:39:19
Why would you even bother to review a gaming laptop with 60Hz, 58 sRGB, and 200Hz PWM? Or why did HP send you this particular config?
Because the 60hz panel gets better battery life and everyone knows they can get the better 144hz panel. HP obviously wanted to make their battery life look better. Also the benefits of the legion 5 are clear. The bigger and heavier chassis allows for better cooling with cooler surface temperatures, higher performance and no loss of performance after an hour. Obviously then you make a trade off for a larger, heavier laptop.

Jhoan

Congratulations on your review, so far this had been the most complete article I've ever seen from a product.

Kee up the good work. ;)

_MT_

Can you elaborate on the performance on battery? How much CPU and GPU performance do I lose? I mean, 90 % lower frame rate is very worrying in a laptop. Especially given that it has decent battery life. It's a laptop. The review is quite useless if I have no clue what the performance will be like on battery.

Billiam Wake

On a related note, can you please provide the ICC/XRite calibrated file for the omen ek0xxx model linked in the article? I have the same lg display but having a hard time with the color deviations. Please update that article with the file, like you always provide in all your reviews.

gantagavin

QuoteOur tests were always performed with the standard mode, which is supposed to be suitable for all task types and is active out of the box. The fans always ran in automatic mode (see screenshot #3).

Seriously, NBC? I read your Intel-equipped laptop reviews thoroughly and i still remember that you guys are always set the test condition for these Intel laptops in best perfomance mode, why the inconsistency? what gives? To make Intel laptops' perfomance not that bad and AMD-equipped laptops look not that overkill? What fair guys you are!

Alok Prateek

I have seen en0037ax that has better 144hz screen and better colour coverage. With nearly the same specs.
If anyone finds that model it's much better.

ChinaLiedPeopleDied

Better late than never.

Still, there are tons of reviews online and YT released from JUNE 2020. Yes over 6 months ago.

It's still not as fast, cool or quiet as the Lenovo Legion 5 (AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, RTX 2060). Or as groundbreaking as the Asus G14.

Grinnie Jax

Intel cash doesn't smell, right, HP? Why supply the AMD model with such a crappy display? 58% sRGB and 40% AdobeRGB display coupled with such excellent CPU and decent GPU is nonsense.

fdasdas

While this cpu is very nice, in gaming ST performance is paramount. And from your graphs I can see that the 10750H has better performance vs 4800H in ST, so gaming wise it will game better.
Lets see what 5800H brings.

John Smith

Quote from: Grinnie Jax on January 04, 2021, 07:07:41
Intel cash doesn't smell, right, HP? Why supply the AMD model with such a crappy display? 58% sRGB and 40% AdobeRGB display coupled with such excellent CPU and decent GPU is nonsense.
This display is their lowest end option. For an extra $150, you can get a 300 nit, 72% NTSC (100% sRGB), low response time (around 10 ms), 300hz panel, which is their highest end offering. Considering it's only a $150 upgrade, it's worth it. But I do agree, selling a GAMING laptop with such a crappy display is disrespectful to the consumer, since they're going  to have a horrible gaming experience.

John Smith

Quote from: gantagavin on January 02, 2021, 16:00:22
QuoteOur tests were always performed with the standard mode, which is supposed to be suitable for all task types and is active out of the box. The fans always ran in automatic mode (see screenshot #3).

This is fucking bullshit. Idiotic companies are making Intel look amazing by putting their tests on the high performance setting, and calling the results "groundbreaking." Meanwhile, when an AMD laptop comes into their labs, they put it on the balanced setting, which drastically decreases power limits, and when it gets THE SAME FREAKING RESULTS, they call it "ok." If they put it on the high performance setting on the AMD laptop, it would get around a 20-25% improvement, which would wreck Intel, but since Intel bribes these reviewers, (I'm looking at you, NBC) they don't put the laptops into high performance. Absolute bullshit.

Ben V

Hi, did you guys notice any flickering with gray colors with the display on this unit at all? Because in my country we are having issues with severe display flickering and it has the same specs as your review unit, only changes the CPU which is the Intel i5-10300h and RTX 2060. It's not PWM because it's still very noticable in full brightness.

More than 50 people have complained and HP has not resolved the issue.

davszermeta

Quote from: John Smith on January 04, 2021, 18:05:18
Quote from: Grinnie Jax on January 04, 2021, 07:07:41
This display is their lowest end option. For an extra $150, you can get a 300 nit, 72% NTSC (100% sRGB), low response time (around 10 ms), 300hz panel, which is their highest end offering. Considering it's only a $150 upgrade, it's worth it. But I do agree, selling a GAMING laptop with such a crappy display is disrespectful to the consumer, since they're going  to have a horrible gaming experience.
And this is the reason why this display shouldn't get 83%!!!
if all the reviewers started to properly assess the quality of displays, maybe it would change something for the producers, and so we have a better equipment, because how else to call this crap, which according to notebookcheck obtained 83%... 83% that is quite good isn't it...

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview