News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Razer Book 13 vs. Dell XPS 13 9310: Same CPU, Same Display, Big Differences

Started by Redaktion, December 23, 2020, 23:15:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The latest Intel Evo laptops from Dell and Razer have a lot in common and yet one of them offers significantly faster performance than the other. The Razer Book 13 costs a lot more than the Dell, but its benefits are tangible.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Razer-Book-13-vs-Dell-XPS-13-9310-Same-CPU-Same-Display-Big-Differences.512072.0.html

jeremy

"more power efficient"

I think power efficient needs to be clarified. Is the Dell actually exhibiting higher performance/watt in your test, or is it simply drawing less power? If it's simply drawing less power, then it should be noted as "consumes less power," not "more power efficient." That phrase is further complicated by your own "load average" showing the Book 13 consuming less power than the XPS 13.

A close analogy is a city bus vs a small hatchback. Sure, the bus uses more energy, but it can also carry a lot more people, lowering the actual energy consumption per person (assuming a loaded bus - which can be assumed in the analogy, since Notebookcheck is extrapolating this observation when the laptops are under medium to heavy loads, not idle).

A

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Dell's biggest issues have been poor thermals. And those poor thermals hamper their entire system.

They really need to get their thermals straight unless their market segment is people who want a laptop that doubles as a grill.

LtM

Bleik

Was Dell the OEM behind KFC's chicken-warmer console? It seems like Dell has a huge untapped market here.

Quote from: A on December 24, 2020, 03:23:17
I've said it before, I'll say it again. Dell's biggest issues have been poor thermals. And those poor thermals hamper their entire system.

They really need to get their thermals straight unless their market segment is people who want a laptop that doubles as a grill.

koman

I wonder what the 2021 15 incher XPS would be like. I wish it would get the new Ryzen chips and a 3:2 display. Also a chicken warmer with a gravy tray.

Dorby

Same difference. Both Dell and Razer have terrible Quality Control, service, pricing and neither are willing to use AMD chips.

Especially if you want good service, nothing has yet to beat HP and Lenovo's premium support. All around pricing and QC is much better in my experience, and they were also the early adopters of Ryzen, which isn't significant in itself but more so that both companies are willing to experiment and take risks for the benefit of consumers.

S.Yu

Quote from: jeremy on December 24, 2020, 01:13:28
"more power efficient"

I think power efficient needs to be clarified. Is the Dell actually exhibiting higher performance/watt in your test, or is it simply drawing less power? If it's simply drawing less power, then it should be noted as "consumes less power," not "more power efficient." That phrase is further complicated by your own "load average" showing the Book 13 consuming less power than the XPS 13.

A close analogy is a city bus vs a small hatchback. Sure, the bus uses more energy, but it can also carry a lot more people, lowering the actual energy consumption per person (assuming a loaded bus - which can be assumed in the analogy, since Notebookcheck is extrapolating this observation when the laptops are under medium to heavy loads, not idle).
That would be very difficult to measure, because it would involve measuring the efficiency of the screen as well. The efficiency of a device is not the efficiency of the processor and its fans. There's actual use for a device on a minimal load with just the screen on, like word processing.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview