News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Founder of Cydia, the jailbroken iOS app store, files suit against Apple for anti-competitive behavior

Started by Redaktion, December 11, 2020, 23:18:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Jay Freeman, the developer of the Cydia app store, has filed suit against Apple for monopolistic practices that have shut alternative app distribution methods out of iOS. If Freeman wins this suit, it could force Apple to allow and support alternative app installation methods for iOS.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Founder-of-Cydia-the-jailbroken-iOS-app-store-files-suit-against-Apple-for-anti-competitive-behavior.509091.0.html

Anonim

Well, first buying an apple products, you only received the right to own the hardware, not the software.

Unlike some android devices that can be bootloader's unlocked and you can just replace all the software inside it, you can't do that to Apple products. By tying yourself to apple software, you're bound to be ruled by Apple terms.

The solution: don't use and buy apple products.

expresspotato

Finally... Anti-trust in it's finest with Apple and it's locked down devices... Believe me I love how Apple innovates to benefit the consumer in the hardware space, but in the software they're too locked down.

I can't even load an app that's not on Apple's App Store over a decade since the original iPhone launched. Can you imagine buying a computer and not being able to install software on it from outside of one source?

Rirrid

I decided I would go back to a windows tablet after being fed up with ios's gimped operating system and apps. If Cydia win this then the platform makes sense again.

Astar

Quote from: Anonim on December 12, 2020, 10:49:19
Well, first buying an apple products, you only received the right to own the hardware, not the software.

Unlike some android devices that can be bootloader's unlocked and you can just replace all the software inside it, you can't do that to Apple products. By tying yourself to apple software, you're bound to be ruled by Apple terms.

@Anonim - I don't think you know what you are talking about. When you buy any hardware it is your right to do whatever you want with it. That includes running whatever software you want. Apple basically makes it extremely dificult from having that right, including banning you from their walled garden App Store if you jail break.

I don't think you understand Android. Unlocking the bootloader and rooting etc. is allowed and supported by Google. After rooting your Android phone, you can install the most powerful and feature rich apps from Google's Play Store that requires Android phones that are rooted.

But you don't even need to root your Android. You just check the option to install apps from other sources (in settings) and you will be able to install from any source using APK files... you can also install from Amazon's play store, open source websites like XDA or other 3rd party app platforms like APKmirror and Chinese websites etc. Not to mention gaming platforms like Google Stadia, Nvidia Geforce, Microsoft xCloud etc.You can download/install APK files from gaming devs like Epic too.

_MT_

Quote from: Anonim on December 12, 2020, 10:49:19

I think you're confusing two different issues. A manufacturer doesn't have to facilitate the replacement of firmware or OS on their products with third party solutions. Ideally, they shouldn't make it unnecessarily difficult, but they legally can and there can be fairly good reasons for such protections (like making it harder for malicious software to take root). On the other hand, developing a monopolistic marketplace, especially when you levy outrageous "taxes" that have nothing to do with the cost of running the service and put you in a conflict of interest, is legally problematic. Apple is ripe for being broken up.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview