News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

The Polaris 4K Laser TV is a new ultra-short-throw projector launched via Indiegogo

Started by Redaktion, December 10, 2020, 22:03:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Bomaker is not what could be called a household name in the home-theater projector market; nevertheless, it has made some attention-grabbing claims for its product freshly put up for crowdfunding. They include the ability to throw a 200-inch 4K screen up onto a wall just 31 inches away from this device.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Polaris-4K-Laser-TV-is-a-new-ultra-short-throw-projector-launched-via-Indiegogo.508885.0.html

S.Yu

DailyDose

Walter Shillington

The Polaris 4K UHD Ultra Short Throw Laser TV is equipped with HDR10.  It is the most common form of HDR.  Every HDR TV can decode it, every HDR streamer can stream it, and most HDR content includes an HDR10 version.

There are competing versions such as Dolby Vision and HDR10 Plus.  While these formats perform well, their use is not as widespread as HDR10.

S.Yu

HDR10 and HLG are "pseudo HDR", and have minimal requirements on the hardware side. Even many notebook panels support HDR10.

AC

I bough the VAVA 4k projector cyber weekend for just under 2k. It is great. I was looking at the Optoma P2 but for 1200$ cheaper I couldnt pass the VAVA up. I have been burnt by not getting products on Indiegogo to many times even from companies that had previous products that I cannot invest with the platform anymore. To risky.

TV Buff

This particular product uses HDR10.  That makes sense because it is the most widely used HDR format. 

Sameera

wow this is perfect for my Home theater. i love super quality with 4K resolution. Best this consumes only 185 watts. Amazing product. when this is available on amazon ?

S.Yu

Quote from: TV Buff on December 14, 2020, 03:04:44
This particular product uses HDR10.  That makes sense because it is the most widely used HDR format.
The only sense it makes is that it's the cheapest to implement. IIRC even a 400nit panel advertised HDR10 compatibility. Understandably it doesn't provide a significantly different experience from regular panels. Panels that support HDR10+ and Dolby Vision have almost universal backward compatibility with HDR10.

TV Buff

There appears to be a lot of confusion over the purpose of HDR and the benefits of the different formats available.

HDR, or high-dynamic range, is a feature that offers brighter highlights and a wider range of color detail, for a punchier image overall.  HDR expands the range of both contrast and color significantly. Bright parts of the image can get much brighter, so the image seems to have more "depth."  The number of colors is expanded, displaying additional bright blues, greens, reds, and everything in between.

HDR-compatible TVs are now common. Nearly all midrange and high-end TVs are equipped with HDR and many shows and movies make use of this technology.

There are several versions of HDR competing against each other.  While each format works in slightly different ways, their end goal is very much the same.   They try to deliver what the human vision is capable of detecting.  HDR, HDR10, HLG and Dolby Vision can all co-exist however the market determines ultimately what happens next.  At this point HDR10 is in the best position because most devices and content providers support it. 

S.Yu

Again it should be stressed that support for HDR10 only means non-support for higher standards. It's a fallback compatibility mode with lax enforcement offering a sticker anybody could stick onto their product. There's wide room for interpretation by individual manufacturers of how the output should look like under HDR10, unlike Dolby Vision, which would be your best bet to have content reproduced exactly as it was intended when mastered.

TV Buff

I own televisions with HDR10 and Dolby Vision.  Both formats are excellent, but the content available for Dolby Vision is limited.  Who knows?  This format might become increasingly popular if more manufacturers and content providers are willing to pay Dolby's licensing fees. 

The more important consideration is the television's hardware.  A bargain basement notebook may technically support HDR, but its hardware is not up to the task, and it will function poorly.  Some cheaper LCD HDR screens, for example, struggle to display bright objects against sharply darker backgrounds, causing streaks of light to run down the screen or create halos around bright objects.

S.Yu

It goes without say that the hardware is most important, however the thing with HDR10 is that it says effectively nothing about the hardware, any hardware claiming HDR support will support HDR10, while with Dolby Vision there is a relatively high entrance barrier.
And if anything, Dolby Vision is the future proof format, while HDR10 is really a small step up from SDR plus some additional features like 10bit and a gamma curve mimicking HDR on a high contrast screen, usually an OLED.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview