News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 outed with 16 GB of VRAM, a GA104 GPU and 6,144 CUDA cores

Started by Redaktion, December 06, 2020, 00:00:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The first details of the GeForce RTX 3080 mobile have appeared online. Not only do they offer an insight into what to expect from high-end gaming laptops next year, but they also raise the question about the continued existence of merely a 10 GB edition of the desktop variant of the RTX 3080.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3080-outed-with-16-GB-of-VRAM-a-GA104-GPU-and-6-144-CUDA-cores.508157.0.html

Will

Mobile Gpu's having more memory then there desktop counterpart is nothing new. They used to do this back in the 580 or 680 days.

RinzImpulse

Nah, It won't be comparable to desktop 3070. It will be limited by power consumption that I can only assume only comparable to 3060/Ti or lower

Brumak

Rumour said the high end mobile version of rtx 30 series would only perform close to the rtx 2080 super, so its definetely not the 3070 desktop tier perf but rather 3060 TI or lower

xpclient

Glad to see NVIDIA making it also a priority and not releasing it like months or years after desktop RTX 30 series.

Yeah Right

Ill believe it when I see it. Rumors were flying about how all of us were idiots to grab the "poor mans" RAM run of the 30 series and how 20Gb 3080s were coming. Common sense would argue it will be awhile until the chip shortage clears, and even then it will be tough to power without compromises. Im in the market for a brand new top tier laptop, but Im not even going to bother shopping around until march or later.

Spunjji

Quote from: RinzImpulse on December 06, 2020, 05:19:21
Nah, It won't be comparable to desktop 3070. It will be limited by power consumption that I can only assume only comparable to 3060/Ti or lower

Indeed. Given that the desktop 3070 needs ~220W to do its thing, I can't see how the mobile variant would get the same performance in a ~150W power envelope - I'd expect to see performance a little below the desktop 360Ti. The inevitable ~120W "Max-Q" variants are going to be an interesting exercise in convincing fools to part with their money.

Also, in the article:
"It would be strange for NVIDIA to sell mobile GPU with 60% more VRAM than its desktop namesake"
Not even slightly. I only recently stopped using a laptop with a GTX 980M (in terms of specs, an under-clocked desktop GTX 970) with 8GB of RAM - 100% more than either the 980 or 970 on desktop. Nvidia know full well that they can sell mobile chips that under-perform their label to consumers by sticking on far more RAM than the chip can ever use; they have a long and storied history of doing so, with a brief but welcome intermission in the Pascal era. It's sad to see they're back on their bullshit.

S.Yu

Hmm, pessimistic comments. But in line with expectations from the desktop announcement. Matching 3070 would be too good to be true, and I don't have enough faith in them either that they'll lower the price to compensate for the lack of actual improvement after a long upgrade cycle including a node bump. So, more overpriced crap for the mobile market.
--------
Actually, I suppose there's a sliver of hope: If the mobile parts are made on TSMC 7nm(at least N7P), that itself is more than half a node ahead of Samsung 8nm and will carry double digit improvements on efficiency.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview