News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Microsoft releases initial Windows 10 Feature Experience Pack with two new features

Started by Redaktion, December 01, 2020, 21:33:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Windows 10 has received a major update with new features biannually in recent years. Microsoft plans to change this approach though, and will introduce some new features via what it calls Feature Experience Packs. The first is now being rolled out to insiders and contains a few changes.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Microsoft-releases-initial-Windows-10-Feature-Experience-Pack-with-two-new-features.507240.0.html

vertigo

So ScreenSnip, just one of many features that took years longer than it should have to be implemented only to be too basic to even be of much use once it was, is now, years later, finally been improved to add a feature that should have been there from the start, not to mention one that probably took (or at least should take) maybe a couple hours to code, and that's somehow considered a big deal. This is just too sad. I appreciate that MS is trying to add some useful features, but they're doing a lousy job.

With things like this and multiple desktops, another example of something added years later and seemingly half-a**ed, it seems instead of spending some time looking at popular, well-implemented third-party solutions to learn how to do it, they just did the bare minimum to be able to call it a "feature," resulting in something that's more usable than nothing but far less usable than already existing options.

Unless you don't have the ability to install software, if you like/need the functionality ScreenSnip provides, just do yourself a favor and get FastStone Capture (better) or Screenshot Captor (not as good, but still quite good and free, though donations are appreciated), both of which do what ScreenSnip does but far, far better, as well as much more. And then you don't have to deal with using yet another crappy MS product or wait years for basic additional features to trickle in just to make it work like it should. I replace or complement as much of MS's software as I can, as I have had nothing but problems with just about every product of theirs I've used: 7++ Tweaker to make the taskbar usable, XYplorer to replace the crappy File Explorer, Everything (and others) to replace Windows search, FastCopy to replace Windows' copy handler, Waterfox/Firefox/Vivaldi/Brave to replace IE/Edge, various launchers to replace the Start menu, and so on. It's not surprising that third-party software is better than Microsoft's, but it's disappointing just how much better it almost always is and how much MS pushes their massively inferior crap, and that they waste time with minimal improvements that still leaves their products woefully inadequate yet don't bother dealing with the many serious issues in their more important stuff.

vrdev

Don't forget Notepad++.

And yeah I suppose their priority is cloud computing now. It would actually be fine if they gave up and let Linux take over. Maybe the windowing systems would finally mature enough.

vertigo

Quote from: vrdev on December 02, 2020, 04:02:32
Don't forget Notepad++.

And yeah I suppose their priority is cloud computing now. It would actually be fine if they gave up and let Linux take over. Maybe the windowing systems would finally mature enough.

Yup, that's another one. Surprised I forgot it, I use it all the time.

I sort of wonder if that's their plan, since they're being very supportive of linux lately. Maybe trying to push toward it taking over, maybe merging windows UI into it, but ultimately wanting to be able to stop developing Windows and spend resources on more lucrative areas like SaaS, e.g. Office 365 and Azure.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview