News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Samsung tipped to give the Galaxy S series a price cut for next year's S21, S21 Plus and S21 Ultra

Started by Redaktion, December 01, 2020, 15:36:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Samsung is planning to drop the price of its Galaxy S series, according to reports from South Korea. The price cut will be effective across the Galaxy S series, with the S21, S21 Plus and S21 Ultra set to be US$100-US$150 cheaper than their predecessors. The reduction would mean that the Galaxy S21 series would start at US$850-US$899, rather than US$999.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Samsung-tipped-to-give-the-Galaxy-S-series-a-price-cut-for-next-year-s-S21-S21-Plus-and-S21-Ultra.507199.0.html

S.Yu

So the base model is now by default the Lite model, which does make some sense because they want people who have been sticking with the same series not to feel as if they're buying a downgrade while they actually are in effect, while they could retain high margins for the rest of the lineup since the price bumps. Initially there was no "Ultra", now that it's here and stayed for a while it's time for the downgrade of the base.

vertigo

Basically, they finally figured out prices have gotten out of hand and decided to reel them in a bit. Sadly, they'll still be where they were just a couple years ago, which is a good bit higher than they were several years ago, so still pretty ridiculous. Yet people will probably get all excited about how "cheap" they are. They (and not just Samsung) need to get more serious about making phones more affordable, or they're going to keep losing market share to Chinese OEMs.

PaSaWo

After having purchased the Note 4, and then the Note 8, I am seriously hesitating if I should stick with Samsung...
I am by no means a fanboy of any brand, although I do hate Apple's blatant arrogance and "courage"... But my Note 8 with its SD835 didn't even get the Android 10 update... That's just ridiculous, that phone cost me €1000 and I'm sure a reset and Android 10 update (or 11 for that matter) would still make it a perfectly up to date phone in 2020 (and 2021!).
The cameras are perfectly fine for what any regular user needs, the performance is still fine, the display doesn't get uglier through time, it's got the S pen... Ok, the battery dates the phone quite a lot but eh... What a shame.

If it wasn't for their folding phones, I'd probably not even consider sticking with Samsung for my upgrade in the next couple of months. (Yes they now said they'd offer 3 years of updates on their new phones, that still would leave me stuck on Android 10 now even though the phone works perfectly fine...)

S.Yu

Quote from: PaSaWo on December 02, 2020, 11:14:37
After having purchased the Note 4, and then the Note 8, I am seriously hesitating if I should stick with Samsung...
I am by no means a fanboy of any brand, although I do hate Apple's blatant arrogance and "courage"... But my Note 8 with its SD835 didn't even get the Android 10 update... That's just ridiculous, that phone cost me €1000 and I'm sure a reset and Android 10 update (or 11 for that matter) would still make it a perfectly up to date phone in 2020 (and 2021!).
The cameras are perfectly fine for what any regular user needs, the performance is still fine, the display doesn't get uglier through time, it's got the S pen... Ok, the battery dates the phone quite a lot but eh... What a shame.

If it wasn't for their folding phones, I'd probably not even consider sticking with Samsung for my upgrade in the next couple of months. (Yes they now said they'd offer 3 years of updates on their new phones, that still would leave me stuck on Android 10 now even though the phone works perfectly fine...)
Interesting, I'm on the same model though I bought it for ~$700 and spent ~$300 for a motherboard swap. I don't care that I'm not getting updates, in fact every update worries me that something could break, but I feel that the processor and cameras could really use an update, because Gcam only gets me so far with such an old module(almost the same as the 2015 S6) and the processing really keeps me waiting for every shot. And since it's the first Note after 7, it has an overly conservative battery setup.
I'm not sticking with Samsung though, I'll likely go with Sony, LG or Asus this time for their far better feature set.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview