News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

AMD Ryzen 4000 APUs do not necessarily throttle on battery power, despite Intel's claims to the contrary

Started by Redaktion, November 26, 2020, 20:03:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Intel has gone after AMD and its Ryzen 4000 APUs, but its tale of throttling and unrepresentative laptop reviews has not won us over. Instead, it muddies the waters of which benchmarks we should trust and AMD's decision to allow OEMs to configure the performance of its APUs on battery power.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Ryzen-4000-APUs-do-not-necessarily-throttle-on-battery-power-despite-Intel-s-claims-to-the-contrary.506108.0.html

Ariliquin

Intel is deliberately trying to misslead consumers. Their preferred benchmark is a joke and press releases like this just further undermind the trust consumers have in Intel, like their benchmarks.

I only work on laptops and my partner too, we almost always work plugged in and occasionally unplugged.

davpal

The worst thing is that what Intel indicates with respect to its systems does not seem to be true either and they also reduce performance when the battery drops below a certain percentage.

A

Not only are they misleading on the whole power claim, they are also muddying the waters by throwing in a 28W 1185G7 in there.

And even more interesting is they are adding their unreleased M15 1165G7 in there which somehow beats the 28W 1185G7 laptops.

RinzImpulse

They accepted worst battery life, but they still compared the performance on battery, that itself is already crappy thinking because, who the hell use performance mode without AC?

vertigo

Sounds about right. Intel has a long history of playing dirty, and they can't actually compete with AMD, with their latest chips only being comparable to AMD's last-gen ones, and AMD's new ones so far showing quite a bit of promise (though oddly very little improvement in multi-core despite fairly significant single-core improvements) and therefore setting things up for another year of AMD being far superior to Intel. So they do the only thing they can: try to smear AMD and trick uninformed people. And sadly, it'll probably work.

Just like in politics, when someone has to resort to mudslinging, it's a pretty good sign they don't have a very good position themselves.

Sportbike Mike

Quote from: Ariliquin on November 26, 2020, 20:49:09
I only work on laptops and my partner too, we almost always work plugged in and occasionally unplugged.

I only work on laptops too.  For me, it's about 50/50 plugged and unplugged.  I'm only plugged in when I need two monitors, otherwise, it's like Intel said.  I work all over the house.  Right now I'm on my laptop unplugged about 20 feet from the charger, could I bring it in here, sure, but why?  I have a battery in this thing.  That's why I bought a laptop.  My girlfriend keeps her Chromebook plugged in even less.

Here's my question to Intel though, who cares about power when they are doing the task you can do away from a desk and multiple monitors and mice?  Not me, I'm not going to be doing anything more than light programming and word processing when away from the desk.  All the designers at my job are running dual monitors.  Even at home, their computers are plugged into their TVs. 

A Pentium Gold can do what I do on battery power I have on my Surface GO, so I know.  My DC workloads are so light, that I turned off turbo boost on DC power to keep my Surface Laptop 3 from giving my legs the scorchies and it has improved my user experience.  The machine is super quiet and doesn't get hot anymore.  I still rarely see CPU above 25%.  So basically I did on my own accord to an Intel laptop what Intel is accusing AMD of doing and feel I made the right choice.

davide445

2 years ago I have purchased an i5 powered laptop since the options with AMD cpu was having too much compromises.
Next time will be not so.

_MT_

Quote from: Sportbike Mike on November 27, 2020, 15:20:46
Here's my question to Intel though, who cares about power when they are doing the task you can do away from a desk and multiple monitors and mice?
My need for performance doesn't change by working from a laptop. However, when I'm working on a battery, battery life is very important. And high frequencies are simply not efficient. So, I choose to limit boost in ultrabooks, too. Quietness is also nice. Fortunately, most of the heavy lifting I need can be offloaded to a server or remote workstation. Or a cluster, if you're fancy.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview