News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

A new leak alleges the Samsung Galaxy S21 will have a plastic rear panel

Started by Redaktion, November 14, 2020, 23:27:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Samsung Galaxy S21 series is probably not too far from launch at this point. The latest tip on this subject contains a near-complete specs leak for its 3 putative variants. However, it also offers interesting new details, such as that the vanilla model will not have a premium glass back for the first time. The phones' new colorways are also named in this new report.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/A-new-leak-alleges-the-Samsung-Galaxy-S21-will-have-a-plastic-rear-panel.504157.0.html

PanRT

Samsung Galaxy S21 LTPS display? This panel is for IPS, Galaxy Tab S7 with LTPS IPS.

A

Back in the day, Samsung used premium plastics in the galaxy phones, then due to clueless people they cheapened it with aluminum and glass. I personally hated the conversion. The glass back was fragile and the aluminum back gets cold during winter plus traps heat of the phone.

Top end plastics are more durable, absorb shocks better and have properties like self healing. Not to mention texture makes it less likely to slip.

I also hope they bring back removable battery. Removable batteries should be required by law, seriously.

S.Yu

Quote from: A on November 15, 2020, 10:19:52
Back in the day, Samsung used premium plastics in the galaxy phones, then due to clueless people they cheapened it with aluminum and glass. I personally hated the conversion. The glass back was fragile and the aluminum back gets cold during winter plus traps heat of the phone.

Top end plastics are more durable, absorb shocks better and have properties like self healing. Not to mention texture makes it less likely to slip.

I also hope they bring back removable battery. Removable batteries should be required by law, seriously.
Yeah the era of cheap plastics ended at S5 and its fugly polka dots that look like children's underwear. Samsung lead everybody else into glass backs and that was one of their best decisions ever made. Plastics are not durable, just the opposite is why the transition was made. They're impact resistant but not nearly as scratch resistant, textured glass is also available, like from Apple.

A

Quote from: S.Yu on November 16, 2020, 17:50:14

Yeah the era of cheap plastics ended at S5 and its fugly polka dots that look like children's underwear. Samsung lead everybody else into glass backs and that was one of their best decisions ever made. Plastics are not durable, just the opposite is why the transition was made. They're impact resistant but not nearly as scratch resistant, textured glass is also available, like from Apple.

The move from high quality polycarbonate to low quality glass and low quality aluminum foil was a TERRIBLE decision.

The decision was made because the stupid media kept insisting that everything should be like Apple even if it is a terrible decision.

Do you know what the 2 most abundant non-gas elements in earth crust is? Most abundant is silicon (glass), followed by aluminum.

In comparison, polycarbonate includes things like diamonds and carbon nanotubes, the most durable materials known.

Modern plastics are WAY more durable than steel. The problem with plastics is the stigma that goes with it. While there are low quality plastics, there is also high quality plastics. And the high quality plastics are lighter and more durable than both glass and aluminum. You simply don't see them often because they are more expensive too.

S.Yu

Quote from: A on November 16, 2020, 19:30:41

The move from high quality polycarbonate to low quality glass and low quality aluminum foil was a TERRIBLE decision.

The decision was made because the stupid media kept insisting that everything should be like Apple even if it is a terrible decision.

Do you know what the 2 most abundant non-gas elements in earth crust is? Most abundant is silicon (glass), followed by aluminum.

In comparison, polycarbonate includes things like diamonds and carbon nanotubes, the most durable materials known.

Modern plastics are WAY more durable than steel. The problem with plastics is the stigma that goes with it. While there are low quality plastics, there is also high quality plastics. And the high quality plastics are lighter and more durable than both glass and aluminum. You simply don't see them often because they are more expensive too.
You're severely mistaken. Polycarbonates are polymers, both diamonds and carbon nanotubes are by definition simple substances, also graphite of course.
Foldable phones now have polymers as their screen cover, look where that's got them, scratchable with a fingernail. Every company in the game is trying to put glass back onto the screen. Plastics could sometimes mimic the optical properties of glass, but such plastics could never mimic the surface hardness of glass. Your so called "durability" of plastics is tensile strength and compression strength, both of which largely irrelevant compared to surface hardness on the back of a regular smartphone. They also dissipate heat poorly. You could always choose "rugged" models that are always plastic if you have other needs, but I don't see any plastic meaningfully breaking into the premium range in the near future.
Also, Samsung was the first to use a glass back on the S6, everybody else followed, including Apple.

A

Quote from: S.Yu on November 17, 2020, 21:51:39

You're severely mistaken. Polycarbonates are polymers, both diamonds and carbon nanotubes are by definition simple substances, also graphite of course.
Foldable phones now have polymers as their screen cover, look where that's got them, scratchable with a fingernail. Every company in the game is trying to put glass back onto the screen. Plastics could sometimes mimic the optical properties of glass, but such plastics could never mimic the surface hardness of glass. Your so called "durability" of plastics is tensile strength and compression strength, both of which largely irrelevant compared to surface hardness on the back of a regular smartphone. They also dissipate heat poorly. You could always choose "rugged" models that are always plastic if you have other needs, but I don't see any plastic meaningfully breaking into the premium range in the near future.
Also, Samsung was the first to use a glass back on the S6, everybody else followed, including Apple.

Foldable phones are a poor example to compare to. As their properties when stretched is different. To note, I had plastic resistive phones and not once did I had a phone screen scratch or shatter.

Which is why I always said the Note 4 design was the optimal design for a phone. It takes advantage of plastic back, while having metal borders that help deal with plastics weakness of chipping.

A plastic screen is also better because you never have to deal with shattering which is the biggest issue plaguing glass phone screens. Of course glass phone screens are also subject to scratching, but plastics when scratched can be self healed. (Just not when you make them bendable)

And Samsung went into glass backs cause they didn't want to be accused of copying Apple. And it was stupid as it made the phone slippery and fragile.

They already said that Galaxy S may make a comeback with plastic. If they are smart they should just change the texture and rebrand it from plastic to some fancy sounding name like Apple did with the whole Retina nonsense.

S.Yu

Quote from: A on November 18, 2020, 01:58:58
Quote from: S.Yu on November 17, 2020, 21:51:39

Foldable phones are a poor example to compare to. As their properties when stretched is different. To note, I had plastic resistive phones and not once did I had a phone screen scratch or shatter.

Which is why I always said the Note 4 design was the optimal design for a phone. It takes advantage of plastic back, while having metal borders that help deal with plastics weakness of chipping.

A plastic screen is also better because you never have to deal with shattering which is the biggest issue plaguing glass phone screens. Of course glass phone screens are also subject to scratching, but plastics when scratched can be self healed. (Just not when you make them bendable)

And Samsung went into glass backs cause they didn't want to be accused of copying Apple. And it was stupid as it made the phone slippery and fragile.

They already said that Galaxy S may make a comeback with plastic. If they are smart they should just change the texture and rebrand it from plastic to some fancy sounding name like Apple did with the whole Retina nonsense.
That's really funny, because resistive touchscreens are known to be easily scratched, for decades, and it's one of the reasons why they're largely superseded by capacitives. My original Xperia X1 from over a decade ago had screen scratches from regular use very quickly. Even the integrated stylus could scratch the screen a little. It's not up for debate that glass screens are far harder to scratch than plastics, and the so-called self healing plastics only do so in a very limited capacity, as tests have proven.

>Samsung went into glass backs cause they didn't want to be accused of copying Apple.
Then guess what Apple and everybody else did. It's with hardly an exception that the dominating glass-metal sandwich feels more premium than plastic, even carbon fiber has the issue of the top acrylic layer being scratched which would make it ugly in a use case involving frequent daily friction like a smartphone.

>Galaxy S may make a comeback with plastic
And it's because they're making excuses to bump prices on the higher end while pushing the vanilla S down into a sub-premium category without lowering prices, like they've done with the Note, not because plastics are more premium, just the opposite.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview