News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Gigaset GS4: New smartphone "Made in Germany" comes with wireless charging and removable battery for €229

Started by Redaktion, October 26, 2020, 08:12:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

German smartphone manufacturer Gigaset has announced the Gigaset GS4, a new smartphone that occupies an interesting niche in its price class. For €229, you get an otherwise average device with wireless charging and a removable battery.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Gigaset-GS4-New-smartphone-Made-in-Germany-comes-with-wireless-charging-and-removable-battery-for-EUR229.499280.0.html

Whamzer9000

Well. That's one way to embarass yourselves, Gigaset.
I honestly thought we'd be the only ones to go with this obvious gimmick - to pretend that we "made a smartphone... locally". See YotaPhone, Plastic Logic/Rosnano tablet.
Big "yikes" for team Germany.

PdV

Quote from: Whamzer9000 on October 26, 2020, 09:15:36
I honestly thought we'd be the only ones to go with this obvious gimmick - to pretend that we "made a smartphone... locally". See YotaPhone, Plastic Logic/Rosnano tablet.

So, what's the analogy? It is actually assembled in Bocholt.

davidm

What's the macro lens all about? It's the first time I've heard of one. It's been a missing feature of smartphones since the start, think of a smart loupe. And a replaceable battery, that's a pretty big deal to some.

I used to rely on notebookcheck for consistent objective reviews, this swing into opinion not based on facts isn't great. Why not use the text to let us know how their Android is composed, and how good the special features, like replaceable battery and macro lens, are?

S.Yu

Gigaset? That was a Siemens brand, were they part of Siemens or was it sold to VC for stunts like this, or is this a total ripoff after Siemens let the trademark expire?
Quote from: Whamzer9000 on October 26, 2020, 09:15:36
I'd wager they're employing immigrants with questionable legal status.

vertigo

Quote from: davidm on October 26, 2020, 12:48:57
What's the macro lens all about? It's the first time I've heard of one. It's been a missing feature of smartphones since the start, think of a smart loupe. And a replaceable battery, that's a pretty big deal to some.

I used to rely on notebookcheck for consistent objective reviews, this swing into opinion not based on facts isn't great. Why not use the text to let us know how their Android is composed, and how good the special features, like replaceable battery and macro lens, are?

Lots of phones over the past few/several years have had macro lenses, it's nothing new. Granted, it would be nice if it were a more common feature, but it costs money, and I suspect that most people, if forced to choose, would rather have a telephoto and/or wide-angle lens.

As for this article not being objective, it's not a review, but just a quick intro to the phone, which I'm guessing they don't even have much info on. And how/why would they go into depth about "how good...the replaceable battery and macro lens" are? There's not much to say there; anyone having a use for either of those things, as well as most people that don't, would already know, so just mentioning their presence is enough. And if you mean how good the quality is, they probably don't know yet for the camera, and what's there to say about a replaceable battery, other than that it's replaceable?

I'd love a phone with a replaceable battery. All of my phones until ~2014, when I had to replace my SG4, had one, and none since then have. It's an incredibly useful "feature" and more phone manufacturers should do it, though they should also have a small built-in battery to keep the phone powered while swapping the main battery. If this were available in the US and didn't use MediaTek, I'd seriously consider it.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview