News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Chromebooks can now natively run Windows apps thanks to Parallels Desktop for Chromebook Enterprise

Started by Redaktion, October 21, 2020, 04:30:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

A new software tool from Parallels, the Parallels Desktop for Chromebook Enterprise, allows certain Chromebooks to natively run Windows apps alongside Chrome OS apps, no Internet required. The software seamlessly integrates Windows into Chrome OS, allowing shared use of system functions like the clipboard, network connections, and more.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Chromebooks-can-now-natively-run-Windows-apps-thanks-to-Parallels-Desktop-for-Chromebook-Enterprise.498748.0.html

slimshady2020

I find windows apps on Chrome OS wuite interesting, although I'm not sure if the performance is where it should be for daily use. In my opinion android app emulation has been rather inefficient on Chrome OS, leading to maxing out cpu usage and in many cases intolerable fan noise. For example reading some drm ebook with maxed out fan was not funny at all.

Could you compare the cpu loads and overall relative performance with same apps running native on similar hardware? Like opening a large document and running macros on it against a windows laptop with the same cpu? I bet usable performance will require an i7. I'd be also interested in how's the battery life if the cpu gets maxed out.

Chris Dart

I have a chromebook - ACER Spin 13 (Not 713). I have loaded and run Microsoft 365 and Outlook. I do not have Parralells, why should I need that? It works without!

Clinton

I'm interested to know if applications designed for Windows that are not from Microsoft will run, and do so with a good user experience.  For example, a friend only has a Windows box so they can use Tax software (TaxCut, TurboTax).  If Parallels allows those applications to run and print tax forms then my friend would be able to eliminate their Windows box.

Looking father afield, how is the performance of applications like Paint.Net, Notepad++, Snagit, VisualStudio Code, and PyCharm in that environment?

_MT_

Quote from: slimshady2020 on October 21, 2020, 14:19:30
I find windows apps on Chrome OS wuite interesting, although I'm not sure if the performance is where it should be for daily use...
My experience with type 2 hypervisors is primarily with VMWare, not Parallels. But CPU performance shouldn't be a problem since the required hardware is x86 and compatible with Windows (i.e. there should be no emulation, Windows should be running natively). Yes, there is going to be some overhead but it shouldn't be a major problem. Historically, GPU was the big problem.

gary

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview