News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Nvidia vs AMD: who is trolling who?

Started by Redaktion, October 07, 2020, 15:00:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

According to some AIB partners cited by Videocardz, Nvidia managed to troll AMD, as it switched the GA104 SKU with the GA102 model in the RTX 3080 GPU at the last minute, so now, apparently Big Navi (Navi 21) is only matching the RTX 3070. Other leakers believe that AMD is trolling the AIB partners misrepresenting Navi 21 as Navi 22, which has only half the CUs.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidia-vs-AMD-who-is-trolling-who.496922.0.html

LcsWnbrg

Hey guys
I really like you BUT didn't you noticed the big discussions about lithography size? Der Bauer (a german YouTuber) showed that the transistor from an Ryzen 9 3950x (7nm) is similar to an Intel i9 10900k (14nm).
The whole thing about transistor size is just marketing. Initially this measurement was about a 2D Transistor since the finFET nodes are 3D it's become irrelevent

PingouinDuNord

Quote from: LcsWnbrg on October 07, 2020, 16:03:57
Hey guys
I really like you BUT didn't you noticed the big discussions about lithography size? Der Bauer (a german YouTuber) showed that the transistor from an Ryzen 9 3950x (7nm) is similar to an Intel i9 10900k (14nm).
The whole thing about transistor size is just marketing. Initially this measurement was about a 2D Transistor since the finFET nodes are 3D it's become irrelevent

Well. Sure, nowadays, transistor size (or should I say minimum lithography capability) is mostly used as PR.
But I don't see where the article is wrong.
Sure TSMC 7nm cannot be directly compared to Samsung 8nm in term of performance as you would need to take into account the fin thickness and other parameters such as leakage, TDP, parasitic then Fmax, logic density and so on.
But from a yield point of view, TSMC is more reliable reducing price and allowing bigger chip.
So maybe the "clearly" in the article was a little bit too much.

Zulny R

Hey guys

Yes, but can it explained why AMD can fit 16 core in AM4 size without overheating and can even beat intel 18 core HEDT?

Ilnahro

Hey guys

You do realize that the they didn't imply that the node was superior because of the number. The node is simply superior when it comes to performance as can be clearly seen on a number of comparisons in the smartphone space.

And 7nm TSMC may not be the expected 1/4 the size of Intels 14nm but its performance is substantially superior and it is decidedly smaller (AMDs FASTER cores 7nm take up less than HALF the space compared to Intels 14nm ones). Intels 10nm is supposedly roughly on par by size but it still lags in performance.

Size isn't everything.

Ira M Wechsler

This whole discussion is a game.AMD has purposely not released any accurate data to its AIB partners until the product is released. These partners have a history of leaking data to both the public and Nvidia. AMD does not want their product skus in Nvidis hand until they are available for purchase. That is why the initial products will be fully manufactured by AMD and AIB's will just slap their labels on it. 2 months later these AIBs will release their own custom designs This troll on Videocardz.com got his info from false leaks from AMD to one of its AIB partners. The truth won't be known until October 28th by AMD when the GPU's will already be in production. The leaks that Not an Apple Fan and Red Gaming Tech have released are not from AIB partners but from insiders in AMD. They have a greater likelihood of being accurate than the info from AIB partners. The b.s. about the top tier sku for Big Navi , Navi 21  only being 15% faster than a 2080 Ti is false information that came from one of the AIB partners who are NOT privy to the truth.

Mochamad Aris Zamroni

3070 is $500 because it needs to undercut xsx and ps5.
3080 is $700 to maintain healthy price-to-performance against 3070

Spunjji

Hey guys

He compared cache transistors, which don't scale well. You can't fake physics - the 3900 has significantly more transistors in a smaller die than the 10900K; ergo the density is far higher. It's amazing how many people saw that info, half-understood it and jumped to daft conclusions.

On that subject, still hilarious that up until today people were pushing the "Big Navi performs like a 3070" line. Some people just love to be fooled.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview