News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Leaked benchmarks show the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 offering as little as 5% better performance than the RTX 3080 for over twice the price

Started by Redaktion, September 19, 2020, 22:55:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

More benchmark data about the GeForce RTX 3080 has leaked ahead of the card's official release next week. Based on initial findings, NVIDIA's US$1,499 card only just outperforms the US$699 RTX 3080 in many triple-A titles and by a margin as slim as 4.7%. The RTX 3090 fares better in synthetic benchmarks, but it can only achieve a lead of 10-20% for over twice the price of the RTX 3080.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Leaked-benchmarks-show-the-NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3090-offering-as-little-as-5-better-performance-than-the-RTX-3080-for-over-twice-the-price.494706.0.html

Rinnnn

Wasn't this similar, if not worse than the rtx2080 vs rtx2080Ti? The 2080ti cost like $500 more than rtx 2080 for just 10% extra performance in many games...typical nvidia pricing

Rufus T

All of this is irrelevant for the 3090.  I wouldn't "defend" it and have no use for it, but they specifically have been marketing it as an "8K card".  Until they show 8K benchmarks (or maybe 4K benchmarks on the few games that still struggle on the 3080) what's the point?

jackrabbit

Note that the test seems to be using an i9.  Perhaps with a Ryzen and pcie 4 it would show a bigger difference.

_MT_

Well, if they're pitching it as an "8k" gaming card, you need "8k" benchmarks. The difference can be much, much bigger at the higher resolution. I can easily imagine the standard 3080 being short on memory for that resolution. It's the same like we had with 1080 vs. 2160 ("4k").

Mr Carl Hood

This is just rubbish the 3090 is an 8k gaming card with dlss having this card just 5% faster coming form the 3080 is just bs and wouldn't sell knowing its only a 5% faster there would be no point in making it when you could just over clock the 3080 for a 5 % performance increase  i believe the 3090 will dominate in a big way over the 3080 by at least another 30% and more also better for ray tracing in a big way 

Crete

I think also what's forgotten is even if you just take 4k res bench numbers as the reason for buying; bottom line is the 3080 sold out in mere seconds.   Like typically Nvidia they release very limited stock very slowly so that bots can high jack the cards and inflate the price by thousands.   So people wanting to avoid ebay prices on the 3080 will find the price on the 3090 more bearable.  Whether or not it's a ripoff will depend on if you can get the card on launch, and whether or not you'll take advantage of 8k resolutions.

Philb

Silly little boys...

3090 like the titan before it are not videogame cards...doesn't the 24gb ram tip you off? Notice how the Tesla card has disappeared? Notice how the 3080 no longer has nvlink?

These are workstation cards....

Only thing that matters is rendering benchmarks, Bray, blender...

Kino

Actually, Nvidia DID market the 3090 as "for professionals AND gamers." It is the cheap entry level into professional workloads without dropping money for crazy expensive Quadro series and that is the only reason its VRAM is so massive, and completely overkill for gaming.

However, the 3090's results have been disappointing based on leaks so far but it remains to be seen how it will do at launch. In addition, the primary difference may only truly appear at 8k which you all seem to be completely forgetting.

Matrix1776

Oh well :) I found somebody that was selling a new, sealed, RTX Titan for 1200, which is a $2500 card. Prices on the 2XXX series cards have plummeted with all this hype. This is going to be my main card until I upgrade systems. I want 4XXX series, Express 4, etc. By then we'll see a huge upgrade, and probably SSD speeds of 10,000+, rather than my little 3500mb/s with the 970 Pro.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview