News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

HP ProBook x360 435 G7 laptop review: AMD Ryzen also shines in the business convertible

Started by Redaktion, September 18, 2020, 04:20:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

If the Ryzen 4000 series is already found in regular business laptops, why not in convertibles too? HP probably thought of that when they developed the ProBook x360 435 G7. The result: A convertible laptop that is faster than the competition and that easily outperforms even much more expensive HP EliteBooks.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-ProBook-x360-435-G7-laptop-review-AMD-Ryzen-also-shines-in-the-business-convertible.494446.0.html

Mothertrucker19

Nice device, but it fails as a convertible as there's no way to use the power button when using it in an other mode than laptop mode.

lasdkf

Quote- display: Less than 400 cd/m²
350 nits is a crime for laptops with AMD.
Quote- only 1x USB-C
- no Thunderbolt 3
860 euro? Is there an Intel version with Thunderbolt 3 in that price range?

Astar

Again... baby steps towards more AMD Ryzen OEM designs. Still frustrating that AMD is still crippled by OEMs making handicapped devices falling short of flagship standards.

Heavy-ish chasis, big bezels, no Thunderbolt, less than stellar/premium design etc.

Better than nothing I guess. I like HP sticking the middle finger to the likes of Dell/Lenovo by giving us user accessible 2 x RAM & SSD slots.

Ultimately, I can't wait for Microsoft Surface to go full-on Ryzen Renoir to show the OEMs what flagship premium devices utilizing AMD Ryzen can do. Microsoft should just eat the OEMs lunch if they keep bowing down to Intel like that.

Mothertrucker19

Quote from: Astar on September 18, 2020, 16:11:15
Again... baby steps towards more AMD Ryzen OEM designs. Still frustrating that AMD is still crippled by OEMs making handicapped devices falling short of flagship standards.

Heavy-ish chasis, big bezels, no Thunderbolt, less than stellar/premium design etc.

Better than nothing I guess. I like HP sticking the middle finger to the likes of Dell/Lenovo by giving us user accessible 2 x RAM & SSD slots.

Ultimately, I can't wait for Microsoft Surface to go full-on Ryzen Renoir to show the OEMs what flagship premium devices utilizing AMD Ryzen can do. Microsoft should just eat the OEMs lunch if they keep bowing down to Intel like that.

The size and weight would've been okay for me, in return for the performance, upgradability and price.
The port selection is okay, still wished there were more on the left.
But the power button location was a dealbreaker for me.

vertigo

It's all a moot point anyways, since like every other laptop I've checked on their site, this is out of stock. Not sure how HP expects to sell any products when it seems none of them are ever available for sale.

I mainly like the idea of a ProBook because it's one of very few opportunities to get a laptop without having to pay for Windows, which is ridiculous. And HP (as well as probably others) like to claim that they buy the licenses in bulk and so they're cheaper and can't be broken out from the cost of the computers, yet here they are, offering one without it (so why can't they do that for all of them) and the cost to add a license is comparable to retail cost (which is both stupid since you're paying retail for an OEM license and proves the point they're charging a lot more for the licenses on their other computers than they want you to believe).

As for Surface being representative of a "flagship premium" device, I have to disagree. I have a Surface, and I can't wait to get rid of it. The thing has so many problems and is the biggest POS I've ever seen. It's more like an example of how to take what could have been a great computer and completely ruin it by making it complete junk. Never again.

And more important than the power button, IMO, is volume buttons. It amazes me that NONE of the convertibles I've seen except the Surface (which I don't consider a convertible; it's a tablet with an attachable keyboard and is extremely poor at being a "laptop") bother to put volume buttons on the side. They all love to advertise all the different "modes" of use, i.e. tent, stand, etc, yet they don't bother to add such a basic feature that's very important for actually using the computer in those ways.

Mothertrucker19

Quote from: vertigo on September 20, 2020, 00:25:46
It's all a moot point anyways, since like every other laptop I've checked on their site, this is out of stock. Not sure how HP expects to sell any products when it seems none of them are ever available for sale.

I mainly like the idea of a ProBook because it's one of very few opportunities to get a laptop without having to pay for Windows, which is ridiculous. And HP (as well as probably others) like to claim that they buy the licenses in bulk and so they're cheaper and can't be broken out from the cost of the computers, yet here they are, offering one without it (so why can't they do that for all of them) and the cost to add a license is comparable to retail cost (which is both stupid since you're paying retail for an OEM license and proves the point they're charging a lot more for the licenses on their other computers than they want you to believe).

As for Surface being representative of a "flagship premium" device, I have to disagree. I have a Surface, and I can't wait to get rid of it. The thing has so many problems and is the biggest POS I've ever seen. It's more like an example of how to take what could have been a great computer and completely ruin it by making it complete junk. Never again.

And more important than the power button, IMO, is volume buttons. It amazes me that NONE of the convertibles I've seen except the Surface (which I don't consider a convertible; it's a tablet with an attachable keyboard and is extremely poor at being a "laptop") bother to put volume buttons on the side. They all love to advertise all the different "modes" of use, i.e. tent, stand, etc, yet they don't bother to add such a basic feature that's very important for actually using the computer in those ways.

Hello fellow Surface user and I have to agree with you.
HP actually discontinued this laptop except for the R5 models I think.
HP used to do volume buttons too on the sides. For me the power button is a bigger problem as i got around the volume problem with an app the puts it on a gesture, also the taskbar icon is not that bad.
I want to replace my SP3 for 9 months now. I saw this and the Acer Spin 5 at CES so I waited for these, and I still don't know which one to get.
The Spin 5 lived up to my expectations more than this. The little things (and the power button) really annoy me on this device.
Oh yeah, also not buying windows is a nice option, as a univeristy student it has no value add to me. (and it costs a lot)

vertigo

Quote from: Mothertrucker19 on September 18, 2020, 12:50:48
Nice device, but it fails as a convertible as there's no way to use the power button when using it in an other mode than laptop mode.

Decided to take another look to see if HP actually had any of these in stock yet, which of course they still haven't, but I did find a review mentioning that it can't be woken from sleep while in tablet mode, so if it goes to sleep during use you have to fold it over to laptop mode just to wake it up. Not sure if this is due to the lack of a power button on the side as you mentioned or some other issue (I assumed they wouldn't be so dumb as to not only not put a power button on the side but not provide some other means to wake the computer, but then, nothing really surprises me any more with the stupid decisions these manufacturers make), but yeah, that's a definite non-starter. Why is it so hard to just design a decent laptop that's actually worth the asking price??

Mothertrucker19

Quote from: vertigo on September 23, 2020, 19:44:27
Quote from: Mothertrucker19 on September 18, 2020, 12:50:48

Decided to take another look to see if HP actually had any of these in stock yet, which of course they still haven't, but I did find a review mentioning that it can't be woken from sleep while in tablet mode, so if it goes to sleep during use you have to fold it over to laptop mode just to wake it up. Not sure if this is due to the lack of a power button on the side as you mentioned or some other issue (I assumed they wouldn't be so dumb as to not only not put a power button on the side but not provide some other means to wake the computer, but then, nothing really surprises me any more with the stupid decisions these manufacturers make), but yeah, that's a definite non-starter. Why is it so hard to just design a decent laptop that's actually worth the asking price??

It's because the power button is in the keyboard and that gets disabled, and I think it was designed this way, as the Envy x360 also has this problem. I think somehow they have to make people buy their intel equipped ones too. It's quite unfortunate sadly.

Alex S

I think there is an error here. I think this laptop only supports 32GB of memory. Running "wmic memphysical get MaxCapacityEx, MemoryDevices" in command prompt returns 32GB across 2 slots.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview