News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

7 nm AMD Ryzen 7 4800U is as fast as the 14 nm Core i9-9880H and at half the TDP, but there's a huge catch

Started by Redaktion, August 28, 2020, 08:30:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Can an 8-core 25 W cTDP Ryzen 7 4800U outperform the popular 8-core 45 W Core i9-9880H? They're much closer than what you might think at least until you start stressing the Ryzen processor over very long periods.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/7-nm-AMD-Ryzen-7-4800U-is-as-fast-as-the-14-nm-Core-i9-9880H-and-at-half-the-TDP-but-there-s-a-huge-catch.490222.0.html

Thinkpad Fan

If Lenovo didn't throttle every single one of their premium laptops down to the point of irrelevancy maybe it would perform better. 60C is nothing.

Mister2

Uhhh, this isn't a 4800u issue.  This is a laptop issue. Lenovo sets the throttle profile.  And also, show me a 9880H in an ultra book that doesn't throttle. Lol

I normally like the articles on here, but this is clickbait.  You can't overlook 2 major aspects of a comparison and drive a conclusion.

pikachoo

Ah, classic notebookcheck. Comparing the 4800U in a thin and light notebook to the 9880H in a bulky gaming laptop and complaining about the former.

Ufff, how low can your journalists go?

Luigi Mario

I'm not even sayin "put both CPUs in the same chassis and use the same cooling and check the difference", but it's dumb to use this example to draw a conclusion, I mean you're comparing a shitty device with apparently terrible cooling solution with some higher end devices with absolutely better cooling, "even" the MacBook Pro 16 has a significantly better cooling than the Lenovo. And based on this, you chose a controversial headline, so talk about it, OK, you won, but at what cost???
*insert "but at what cost meme here*

_MT_

This is not a fault of the CPU. Especially if it's sticking to reasonable power draw even in the first run. It's entirely laptop's fault and limitation. The real problem is the availability of this processor. AMD might have a great product, but they're not very successful at getting it out there (and I would say that's true for the entire Renoir lineup, not just this unicorn of a CPU).

anaconda

How much Intel paid to you of this B.S.?

Not a word about 45w 4800H vs 45w 9880H ?  You are comparing a sedan to a pickup truck.

It's not CPUs fault if its put inside a 14 inch thin laptop with smaller coolers.

Guys, get a real job.

mikamamam

this type of articles make me stop reading your page.

what a bunch of misinformation.

started with the bad review of the zephyrus g14 which was taking >20W in idle. yeah sure. and now this.

lol!

The irony

mdk777

Yeah, this reporting is sad.
Thermal throttling from a limited cooling solution you say?

Who would have guessed.

This level of Captain Obvious testing...do you readers a favor and actually test apples to apples cases and maintain your reputation as a fair reporter.

Articles like this make readers wonder what else is passed on that is not so obvious. Are other tests rigged also?

You are playing with the reputation of you site. Is it worth it in the long run?

duy

yeah 1 is a 14" 1.4kg ultrabook, 1 is a 17" 2.7kg gaming machine, but after years of experience in laptops reviews NBC conclude that these differences is not worth metion bcz  intel money is damn yummy.

ennenkaes

Not even the slightest mention of the cooling system?

What do you call this, dear editor, because I call it unprofessionalism (and it's the most polite word I can find right now).

Reporting it in my google feed for being misleading and sensational - fits the bill 100%.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview