News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Humiliatingly for Intel, an underperforming Core i7-10510U runs slower than the two-year old Core i5-8250U

Started by Redaktion, August 25, 2020, 08:01:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The 2020 Acer TravelMate P215 may be smaller and lighter than last year's model, but it doesn't run any faster despite its fancy new 10th gen Core i7 Comet Lake-U CPU. Intel's 10th gen Core family isn't looking so hot all things considered.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Humiliatingly-for-Intel-an-underperforming-Core-i7-10510U-runs-slower-than-the-two-year-old-Core-i5-8250U.489519.0.html

Not_anton

You forgot a comparison with Ryzen 4800 @ 1730 CB score versus this "10th gen" pathetic 460 CB. Losing by FOUR times at the same price is indeed humiliating!

(should I mention performance difference in graphics?)

aksdjh

Quote from: Not_anton on August 25, 2020, 13:26:35
You forgot a comparison with Ryzen 4800 @ 1730 CB score versus this "10th gen" pathetic 460 CB. Losing by FOUR times at the same price is indeed humiliating!
Bad comparison on your side. 4600U 25W on pair with 14nm 10750H but 10nm i7-1065G7 is still decent choice for ultrabooks.

john25082020

Quoteunderperforming Core i7-10510U runs slower than the two-year old Core i5-8250U

Does it really matter? The laptop that includes it, will get a nice 80 something final score in the review here, that will put it in the top 10 lists in it's category.  People will see that final score and buy it.

These articles are nice to keep readers with a minimal technical background satisfied, that truth gets out.

But it is the Top 10 lists that sell laptops. And we all know who is satisfied with those lists.

Aargon

Notebookcheck's comments are typed by way too many Intel fanpersons. The fact is that 10th gen Core i laptop CPUs clearly are inferior to Ryzen 4000 laptop CPUs, even if Ryzen CPUs do suffer from the PCIe lane allocation limit. Intel CPUs have lost the undervolting advantage due to the Plundervolt vulnerability, hence are more susceptible to thermal throttling. It makes sense to go for Intel laptops only if one requires a more powerful GPU than the RTX 2060.

Hurk

Let's check an ultra low power laptop for performance, gloss over the large weight drop, and post no data at all about battery life, and instead focus on high end productivity test scores that aren't the target market! /S

Shmill

Why does a person that specializes in water writes notebook reviews? Unfortunately the result is embarrassing.
Notebook check, please fix yourself.

Worst article ever

C_Cube

That's weird, 517 points in R15 is quite low for a 10510U.
Intel Adaptix would help out the 10510U a ton since it pretty much eliminates the fixed 15W PL1 limit.
My cheap Lenovo laptop with the same CPU scores 787 without any undervolting.
Thanks to Intel's way of dealing with PlunderVolt, I now have to mess with the UEFI variables in order to remove the lock.

Isaac

I don't understand something. When I look on CPUBenchmark.net it looks like the i7-10510U gets a rating a thousand points higher than the i5-8250U, and a single thread rating about 450 points higher. So how can it be slower?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview