News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

The Ryzen 7 4800U is an Absolute Monster: Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 14 Laptop Review

Started by Redaktion, August 24, 2020, 19:02:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

After facing a few delays, AMD's premier Ryzen 7 4800U is finally starting to hit store shelves. Results are insane for a 14-inch subnotebook to the point where it'd be tough to recommend an Intel counterpart when given the same price.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Ryzen-7-4800U-is-an-Absolute-Monster-Lenovo-Yoga-Slim-7-14-Laptop-Review.456068.0.html

A

Those gaming benchmarks look pretty good, it scores about same to slightly better than MX250 and in some games even matches the MX350. It proves yet again how useless these low tier GPUs are.

By the way, can you add to the gaming benchmarks what rendering is being done? like DX11? DX12? Vulkan?

Bror Brorsan

I think you got the memory speeds wrong, or perhaps your review unit differs from what's currently being sold in stores. Also did you test the supposed thunderbolt 3 connection at all? I've seen no mention of it anywhere else, certainly not from Lenovo.

Jo504

I think there may be different revisions of this laptop.
I have one (Yoga Slim 7 14ARE05) with 4800u and 16GB ram bought in Belgium. On mine the ram is advertised as 4266Mhz LPDDR4x. But i don't have the thunderbolt symbol on USB C port. Didn't try it though, as i don't have any TB3 device here..

Mike9999

Where in the world can you get actually this configuration? There is no model number and it really looks just like some kind of a beefed up testing unit, because I cannot find anywhere including Lenovo's product specification page any Yoga Slim 7 laptop running AMD, with Thunderbolt and 400 nits screen ...

Mate

Probably Lenovo sent to test chimera version - Ryzen internals + Intel casing and notebookcheck didnt test if it was really TB3 port:D

anaconda

This is getting interesting.

It is not wise to say it has 2400mhz ram while it has 4266mhz.

It is not wise to add a 17" inch laptop with desktop grade Intel CPU in multithreaded test if you dont add there also 4900H from AMD? (cinebench multi core charts)

Also I can ask, when you review Intel ultra thin laptops, you never ever put in the same charts 45W AMD 4900H CPUs. Because you dont want to show AMD first, for some reason...

Also you do not mention about the HDR Dolby vision screen.

But the most ridicilous thing is to say it has TB3, it does not.

John Mase

This review should have a large PSA because the specs described here are not the same as the retail version found on
psref.lenovo  . com/Product/Yoga/Yoga_Slim_7_14ARE05

1. lenovo list 300 nits screen while this review list close to 400 nits. Laptopmedia listed as average 300 nits on their own review unit. Both notebookcheck and laptopmedia have glossy screens. Although the screen model is: N140HCG-EQ1

2. Lenovo list their slim 7 with LPDDR4 rams. Non list as regular ddr4

weeeeeeeee

I wonder why the cinebench r15 results are a lot different from a few other sources, which shows it starting around 1600 and then dropping to 1480. How does the slim 7 compare with the 14s? Although neither the 4800u or 4750 pro are available on the lenovo store.

hfm

It's fantastic to see Thunderbolt! Very promising, now just make a 17" model with the same exact port selection and ~4lb

RinzImpulse

gamedev

Been anxiously waiting for an AMD laptop with Thunderbolt 3. I hope this is not some fluke. Very impressive results with this laptop. Dang...

Sportbike Mike

deksman2

There is a mistake in the article:
"Note that the GPU clock rate here is two times faster than what we recorded on the RX Vega 10-powered Dell Inspiron 15 when running the same game. "

Actually, the system RAM is what's operating at twice the clock rate... not the GPU clocks.
Vega 10 in Dell Inspiron 15 runs at 1400MhZ of core clock... whereas enhanced Vega in Lenovo Yoga runs at 1750 Mhz.

In other words, the Yoga enhanced Vega has 25% higher clocks... which translates to about 12.5% higher performance from clocks alone.
The other enhancements came from uArch modifications which resulted in about another 40% increased performance per core.

AMD specifically said they improved Vega's cores by 56% for Renoir (some of this will be due to core clock increases, everything else down to uArch).
Since clock increases do not improve performance linearly, and instead,  for every 10% increase in clocks, you get about 5% performance increase...  the actual performance gain from clocks alone is about 12.5%... the rest has to be down to uArch and system memory.

Yes, the system RAM has much higher bandwidth which would improve performance further, but I don't think it would increase the performance by a huge amount over existing RAM.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview