News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Guide: Deciding between a high-end laptop and a desktop PC

Started by Redaktion, August 18, 2020, 08:59:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Buyers often find themselves in a fix when deciding between a high-end laptop and a full-fledged desktop PC. Modern laptops are now more powerful than ever, often matching the performance of a similar-specced desktop, and they are increasingly being adopted for their versatility and portability. However, desktops still rule the roost when it comes to sheer power and expandability. We take a look at some important considerations that should be made for both form factors and explain the advantages and limitations of each.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Guide-Deciding-between-a-high-end-laptop-and-a-desktop-PC.484401.0.html

devianartguru

The laptop's major flaw is the screen. 15" is an absolutely sad low-class gaming experience. Also, it's not great for movies and TV shows and such limited screen estate will affect work and study productivity.
I would suggest taking a look at 17" laptops or combos like 14" Asus G14 and external display (there are plenty of fantastic options below $200). Also, you can go even further and take laptop w/ thunderbolt 3 and eGPU, in that case, it will be easy to control the time spent on games/work/study and it will be a worthy investment of money in the long term.

Mahdi 2002 pss

It's your opinion, I think, however, the greatest Laptops' limitation is THERMALs! They never ever have  a good sustained performance and even if they have as if you were on a jet (Noise) or like an oven (heat).

Vaidyanathan

Quote from: Mahdi 2002 pss on August 18, 2020, 12:59:30
It's your opinion, I think, however, the greatest Laptops' limitation is THERMALs! They never ever have  a good sustained performance and even if they have as if you were on a jet (Noise) or like an oven (heat).

I can relate to the jet engine part ;)

Vaidyanathan

Quote from: devianartguru on August 18, 2020, 11:36:25
The laptop's major flaw is the screen. 15" is an absolutely sad low-class gaming experience. Also, it's not great for movies and TV shows and such limited screen estate will affect work and study productivity.
I would suggest taking a look at 17" laptops or combos like 14" Asus G14 and external display (there are plenty of fantastic options below $200). Also, you can go even further and take laptop w/ thunderbolt 3 and eGPU, in that case, it will be easy to control the time spent on games/work/study and it will be a worthy investment of money in the long term.

Many high-end DTRs still use TN or IPS-like panels... that's a major area for cost-cutting as often users use a higher quality external display.

Rhein7

One thing that this piece forgot to include is power requirements or especially power bills.

Lets say I have a midrange gaming desktop with Ryzen 3700x, 2 Dimms of ram, 5700xt or 2060 super, a single M.2 Nvme Ssd plus a regular sata HD, mid range mobo along with budget gaming 24" Lcd monitor and you're looking at 400-400W load wattage. Compared to that, most laptop gaming on your review usually at 120-150W on the Witcher or max 200W on burn test.

If you are using your Pc 16 hours per day with 3-5 hours of that for gaming, that difference of wattage used will add quite a bit. I'm a bit focused about this because ever since the pandemic, my power bill rose quite a bit thanks to WFH and most of my friends also complaining about this.  :D

Vaidyanathan

Quote from: Rhein7 on August 19, 2020, 06:40:41
One thing that this piece forgot to include is power requirements or especially power bills.

Lets say I have a midrange gaming desktop with Ryzen 3700x, 2 Dimms of ram, 5700xt or 2060 super, a single M.2 Nvme Ssd plus a regular sata HD, mid range mobo along with budget gaming 24" Lcd monitor and you're looking at 400-400W load wattage. Compared to that, most laptop gaming on your review usually at 120-150W on the Witcher or max 200W on burn test.

If you are using your Pc 16 hours per day with 3-5 hours of that for gaming, that difference of wattage used will add quite a bit. I'm a bit focused about this because ever since the pandemic, my power bill rose quite a bit thanks to WFH and most of my friends also complaining about this.  :D

Good point. Though I do mention that notebooks can get away with less GPU power consumption and switch to iGPU when not needed. :)
If you do go for one of the more powerful DTRs, you will end up using two power bricks totaling 460 W+ if you use the GPU and CPU to the fullest.

poppyking

Our company is E-energy, if you have IT hardware inventory, you can contact us. We have a great purchase demand
provide smart devices, including vacuum cleaners, sweeping robots, electric scooters, air purifiers, etc.moer detail contact me:[email protected]

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview