News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

MediaTek Dimensity 820 vs Snapdragon 765G: MediaTek stamps its authority on the competition

Started by Redaktion, August 16, 2020, 23:09:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

At the moment, the Snapdragon 765G leads the rest of Qualcomm's pack below its flagship Snapdragon 800-series, so how does it perform when pitted against MediaTek's similarly positioned offering, the Dimensity 820?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/MediaTek-Dimensity-820-vs-Snapdragon-765G-MediaTek-stamps-its-authority-on-the-competition.487511.0.html

S.Yu

820 is just a further cut-down die from even worse bins of 1000, right? I think MTK's decision to put one ambitious design to manufacture on the latest node then disabling defected areas part by part enabling everything from flagships to midrange is very smart, both for them and for consumers. QC has maintained a steady 3-4 year gap between flagship and premium midrange, so this not only enables them to cut down on the waste of using a non-mature node, it also saves them the resources of implementing multiple designs while allowing them to easily put forward a premium midrange that overtakes QC's.

Jose

Lately I seeing this mediatek publicity on this site, and I wonder, taking benchmarks aside, mediatek is really a good option?. Their chips stopped running hot and devouring battery?. They open the sources of their chips, or at least, bring enough support so the devices with mtk chips doesn't end with only one update (and poorly executed)?. What about the lag, and stuttering present in their chips, is also fixed?. If all of these problems are fixed, then I believe that mediatek can be considered and alternative.

RinzImpulse

Quote from: Jose on August 17, 2020, 01:43:50
Lately I seeing this mediatek publicity on this site, and I wonder, taking benchmarks aside, mediatek is really a good option?. Their chips stopped running hot and devouring battery?. They open the sources of their chips, or at least, bring enough support so the devices with mtk chips doesn't end with only one update (and poorly executed)?. What about the lag, and stuttering present in their chips, is also fixed?. If all of these problems are fixed, then I believe that mediatek can be considered and alternative.
I can answer your question since currently, I'm using Helio G80 device.

MTK chip is still hot, though not as hot as it used to be. Compared to SD730G (Yes, I own one too), they basically have the same temps on long term use (yes, I considered 730G as a hot chip when under load too).

Battery is fine. With my device's 5000 mAh, I can use it for 2 days light social media & some youtube use, pretty much the same as 730G with its 5260 mAh

Also, consider that they have different node too (helio G80 is 12nm, and SD730G is 8nm. They're manufactured by TSMC, so they're comparable)

Checkit out

what about comparing the modem performances ? Upload and download speed and smooth downloading and uploading experiences.

Jutuul

Mediatek chips historically haven't been good when it comes to handling heating & throttling. Makes you wonder how they're giving 4 A-76 cores at a price lower than SD 765 ? Also, G-Cam support is always lacking for MTK chips.

Dhruv Batra

A lot of people complaint about issues with MediaTek but with the Dimensity series all of those complaints will go away. The Dimensity 820 is a phenomenal chipset

S.Yu

Quote from: johei13 on August 17, 2020, 01:26:04
No it's not

the D1000+ has 4xA77, the D820 is 4xA76
Thanks, realized it a few days later, also that they're trying to rename their whole lineup Dimensity and discontinue all the previous lineups.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview