News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Review: Business laptop is better with AMD

Started by Redaktion, August 12, 2020, 15:32:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The ThinkPad T14s with the AMD Renoir processor offers much more performance and is also less expensive than the Intel version. But what about the power consumption and the battery runtime? We have a closer look at the differences of the two models.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T14s-Review-Business-laptop-is-better-with-AMD.485220.0.html

NoOneCares

I wonder if the T14 will get a 93% since it is a better laptop than the T14s due to the better cooling. It might just become the highest rated laptop on this site

Z2xV5

Finally, a relatively high end laptop with fast ram, lastest specs and a strong Ryzen. Thx for the review.

In France, we are still Lenovo to Ryzen5 4650U, 16GB, but there is a screen option for 500nits (the 400nits is not good enough for traveling as I had the T480 before).

It would be great if AMD changes the design of this laptop, just think it's quite outdated, don't know why everybody likes it.
A 16:10 screen would be ace as well.

Fusion

Quote from: Z2xV5 on August 12, 2020, 16:25:50
Finally, a relatively high end laptop with fast ram, lastest specs and a strong Ryzen. Thx for the review.

In France, we are still Lenovo to Ryzen5 4650U, 16GB, but there is a screen option for 500nits (the 400nits is not good enough for traveling as I had the T480 before).

It would be great if AMD changes the design of this laptop, just think it's quite outdated, don't know why everybody likes it.
A 16:10 screen would be ace as well.
The 500 nits screen is a privacy screen, and I've been told that despite the higher rating it's actually not (much) brighter due to the privacy filter on the screen. Also, the viewing angles obviously are worse with it. This might be something to look out for.

A 16:10 screen would be sweet though, and maybe some smaller bezels.

jhwbgiwebrihgbwhr

When will you test Chenker VIA 15 PRO aka KDE Slimbook PRO X 15 aka Mechrevo code 01 aka ...

That a laptop that may compete with thinkpad in several categories and in some this TongFang model may win over Lenovo.

It has
- better cooling
- better Ryzen H processor
- its cheaper
- has not soldered RAMs
- has not useless fingerprint scanner
- has maybe better screen and soon 4k option as well
- its lighter than T14
- has probably better keyboard layout

Petr

Quote from: jhwbgiwebrihgbwhr on August 12, 2020, 17:44:36
When will you test Chenker VIA 15 PRO aka KDE Slimbook PRO X 15 aka Mechrevo code 01 aka ...

That a laptop that may compete with thinkpad in several categories and in some this TongFang model may win over Lenovo.

It has
- better cooling
- better Ryzen H processor
- its cheaper
- has not soldered RAMs
- has not useless fingerprint scanner
- has maybe better screen and soon 4k option as well
- its lighter than T14
- has probably better keyboard layout

But it's also bigger and has no DP over USB-C.

ktgee

The WWAN slot does detect an SSD, but you need to use an M.2 NVMe SSD with both the M and B key. The M.2 SSD tested in the article is a NGFF (SATA) type, which doesn't work.

I have a 512GB WD SN520 SSD in my X13 AMD and it works great.

john13082020

No 4K screen on the AMD model.

It's funny how OEMs try so hard to disappoint even when making a good AMD based product.

fmyhr

Anyone know whether this supports AMD equivalent of vPro and/or AMT? And if so, how to manage? For Intel, MeshCommander is awesome:

https://www.meshcommander.com/

Anyone aware of something similar (and ideally free) for AMD?

antti

Thanks for the honest review, very rare these shady days while Intel marketing money is on the move.

Bill

Would opting for the 500 nit privacy panel get one out of the panel lottery?

yuio

@jhwbgiwebrihgbwhr
techspot made a comparison between XMG Core 15 with AMD and Intel version in combination with 2060.

Panos

Great review, thank you!
I would just like to add that I've just ran the Cinebench R20 multi core test on my T14 Gen 1 AMD (not the S model), and I got a score of 3256 pts, that is 7% higher that the T14s model. Also, it ran very silent throughout the test. The fan kicked in at some point, but it was very quiet, at least compared to our old T420s , a Dell 5590 and a Xiaomi Mi Air 13.3 we have in the family.
I presume the extra thickness is responsible for the better thermal results.

Howard Bennett

I am surprised that the lottery with the quality of panel you could receive is not listed as one of the negative points.

It stops me ordering one.

Simple as that.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview