News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Where are all the AMD Ryzen 7 GeForce RTX 2070 laptops? These Eluktronics models are proof that we're ready for them

Started by Redaktion, August 11, 2020, 23:17:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

We think the world is ready for laptops running on the Ryzen 7 4800H CPU with higher-end Nvidia graphics options. AMD has the processors to really shake up the enthusiast mobile gaming market, but it will be up to the manufacturers to actually make them widely available for consumers.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Where-are-all-the-AMD-Ryzen-7-GeForce-RTX-2070-laptops-These-Eluktronics-models-are-proof-that-we-re-ready-for-them.484866.0.html

Anonyneko

Last I heard, there was an issue with the current Ryzen chips themselves — something that made it pointless to ship them with anything faster than a 2060. Wish I still had the source, but can't find it right now.

Rakuen

Daiveed

Yes, apparently the number of PCI lanes is the bottleneck that prevents full benefit of 2070+

www.igorslab.de/en/manufacturers-when-gaming-notebooks-in-the-clamp-ryzen-4000-apus-in-the-bandwidth-limit-tiger-lake-comes-first-with-only-4-cores-2/

Anhar

I'm not concerned with the GPU choice as long as it is RTX 2060 with the highest TDP. It will perform as same as 2070 Max-Q, if not a bit slower than RTX 2070 Mobile

ariliquin

This is what I have been waiting for. As a consumer I have the money ready to spend, but I want the AMD / NVIDIA combination with class leading display and case. No I don't care about Thunderbolt 3 as much as I care about multi threaded performance. So many "Content" creator machines out there with Intel CPU's when the AMD performs significantly better for these applications. Manufacturers not supporting AMD makes no sense. I guess they don't want my money.

Not sure this is an AMD issue as some hint at in these comments, I have never seen anyone quote a source making those comments and the benchmarks for the few laptops with these AMD NVidia combos shows a different story, that is, they perform extremely well. .

valuepls

Consumers want 4600H w/ 1660 Ti or higher GPU.
By some reason 4600H version of Asus G14 limited to 1650 Ti, Dell G5 SE 4600H comes with 200Hz PWM.

Colin

While there may be some technical reasons why Ryzen doesn't get as much out of faster gfx and others will assume a conspiracy, it is far more likely that the main reason has nothing to do with either.

The simplest reason to explain why there are no faster options is that oems didn't anticipate the demand, probably not expecting AMD to deliver a quality mobile CPU so they didn't want to be stuck with higher spec hardware they couldn't shift.

Are there any out there that would do a mid-year refresh on their range that would need to be properly tested for heat dissipation etc. when they can settle for selling as many of the lower spec models as they can deliver and can always equip next year's models with shiny new RTX3xxx cards or possibly even AMD's own offering and cash in again.

deksman2

Quote from: Rakuen on August 12, 2020, 01:41:36
4800H only has 12 PCIE lanes, compare to 16 lanes on 10750H

Anyone know if this is matter

Actually, 4800H has 8 lanes reserved for the GPU... this is cited as a 'bottleneck' which prevents them from using higher powered GPU's, but this is inaccurate.
More powerful GPU's don't generally suffer if they only have 8 PCIe lanes to work with... performance impact is about 1% for average framerates... in other words, the difference is not noticeable at all to be used as an excuse to not use stronger gPU's.

deksman2

Quote from: Daiveed on August 12, 2020, 03:06:09
Yes, apparently the number of PCI lanes is the bottleneck that prevents full benefit of 2070+

www.igorslab.de/en/manufacturers-when-gaming-notebooks-in-the-clamp-ryzen-4000-apus-in-the-bandwidth-limit-tiger-lake-comes-first-with-only-4-cores-2/

When identical GPu's were tested on 8PCIe lanes and 16PCIe lanes, it was discovered there's barely a difference of 1% (in most cases that was a difference of less than 1 FPS - or basically, a 'margin of error'), and certainly not enough of an excuse to prevent usage of more powerful GPU's.

Rhein7

The issue about PCIe lanes is pretty much bullsh*t. No need to look further but just open any gaming laptop reviews in this site and look for GPU-Z screenshot to see it for yourself like Alienware m15 R3 with 2070 or Asus Strix Scar 17 with 2080 Super. Those laptops were using 8x PCIe lanes according to GPU-Z and did you see any performance drop? Obviously not right?

I hate conspiracy theory but more likely Intel pulled some strings behind tbh. I'm really pissed off by this since I need a new laptop in the past months due to WFH. :(

Spunjji

Quote from: Anonyneko on August 12, 2020, 01:05:24
Last I heard, there was an issue with the current Ryzen chips themselves — something that made it pointless to ship them with anything faster than a 2060. Wish I still had the source, but can't find it right now.

There is no "source" for that because it's nonsense. Some people have speculated that it's about PCIe lanes, which is untrue, for reasons that other commenters have already noted. It's just more FUD.

The whole "They didn't know Zen 2 would be any good" line doesn't make much sense either; not only did OEMs have access to performance characteristics of the chip a long time back, Asus even managed to produce an entirely new class of gaming sub-notebook with it - yet we're supposed to believe that no OEM thought to take their Renoir designs that are perfectly capable of high-TDP operation and think to swap in a 2070-class GPU.

TBH, given how many complex and nonsensical "theories" have been pitched, I'm more inclined to point to a simpler cause: Nvidia and Intel have the market locked down and are advising customers on specific builds, along with providing reference designs. All you have to do is provide a nice financial incentive for producing a certain number of notebooks with the right GPU and CPU combinations that just so happens to match the total available supply of the high-end parts, and bam, you've made it financially unviable to build a product with an AMD CPU whilst still technically "allowing" competition.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview