News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

New Lenovo ThinkPad T15p features GTX 1050 & better upgradability in a thicker chassis

Started by Redaktion, August 04, 2020, 11:03:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Lenovo is expanding its ThinkPad T series portfolio with a new 15 inch model. The new Lenovo ThinkPad T15p comes in a thicker chassis than the regular ThinkPad T15. It features faster Comet-Lake-H processors, an additional RAM slot and the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650, marking the first time a GTX chip is used in a T series ThinkPad.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/New-Lenovo-ThinkPad-T15p-features-GTX-1050-better-upgradability-in-a-thicker-chassis.484078.0.html

LHPSU

The big question is how upgradable this is, which is the big thing that was lost when Lenovo decided to stop differentiating the T and X series for some reason.

GoldSolitude

Quote from: LHPSU on August 04, 2020, 11:42:30
The big question is how upgradable this is, which is the big thing that was lost when Lenovo decided to stop differentiating the T and X series for some reason.

Seems to be only the ram, we do get both sockets though.

how about an amd config now with the chonk 68wh battery

Anonym

Impressive engineering just to be marginally faster than the much more efficient AMD CPUs that, somehow, are yet to be featured in one of the Thinkpad performance series.

Let me be clear, I am still typing this in an Intel based Thinkpad and proudly so, as this was the best available at that time. However, if Thinkpad is now just an Intel centric sub-brand instead of being those iconic machines that deliver the best enterprise-grade components available, I will be forced to start looking elsewhere.

A shame, really.

klahjs

It doesn't look good for me at all. It is like Lenovo was greedy and saved money on latest MX350 and pushing that 3 y/o 1050 legacy abomination.
Does this configuration at least have proper dual-fan cooling solution?

Daniel Ridenhour

The 68wh battery may be a bit later... I would much prefer a 4800h or 4900hs in this than Intel... although that would nix the TB3 port most likely which screws up docking for the TP.     I'm still mourning the loss of powerbridge and removable batteries on the TP line and can't see myself buying one of the new ones though.   

Also a note for content creators...   for many while their mobile having more GPU memory is more important that performance.   I would much rather have a mx350 with 4gb of RAM than a 1650 with 3gb.   I don't know why HP is the only vender who ever seems to field 4gb mx series nvidia cards but mobile renderers appreciate it.    Although I wish their machines where such a bear to get into.

LHPSU

Quote from: Anonym on August 04, 2020, 15:02:53
Impressive engineering just to be marginally faster than the much more efficient AMD CPUs that, somehow, are yet to be featured in one of the Thinkpad performance series.

Let me be clear, I am still typing this in an Intel based Thinkpad and proudly so, as this was the best available at that time. However, if Thinkpad is now just an Intel centric sub-brand instead of being those iconic machines that deliver the best enterprise-grade components available, I will be forced to start looking elsewhere.

A shame, really.
Good luck finding a major line of laptops that has more AMD models available than Thinkpads.

jeremy

The selection of specs seem so bad, that I am curious if this was a deliberate attempt to kill off a product concept?

Like the Retro 25, which launched with abhorrent specs (dual core!?) right as a new generation with quad cores was about to launch. I always got the feeling Lenovo did that deliberately, so they could easily justify the lack of any future 7 row thinkpads on "well, it didn't sell well because people didn't want it." Same with this. There is no other explanation for this sort of malarkey, outside of incompetency so extreme that it couldn't be justified.

My only other guess is the inevitable P series version of this is less silly? I doubt it, but that's my guess.

marc

I used to love and advocate thinkpad as the best notebook, i used t40, t41, x60, t61, x200, t430. At first, it felt robust, reliable and I only get thinkpad. However, my dissapointment started with t61, in which the built in and dedicated graphics failed on me and won't turn on at 3 years mark. Secondly, frustration grew on x200, with its integrated lan hardware failure. And to top it off, nightmare began with t430, my external monitor randomly loss signal (no signal) when connected to it, now it randomly turn on and off and flickers. There was no issue initially, happens after a while. Clean install didnt help, and i thought the problem with the monitor, but it is working fine with other computer.
Now, I have had enough with thinkpad, the quality is no longer there like the good old when it was under ibm.

marc

I used to love and advocate thinkpad as the best notebook, i used t40, t41, x60, t61, x200, t430. At first, it felt robust, reliable and I only get thinkpad. However, my dissapointment started with t61, in which the built in and dedicated graphics failed on me and won't turn on at 3 years mark. Secondly, frustration grew on x200, with its integrated lan hardware failure. And to top it off, nightmare began with t430, my external monitor randomly loss signal (no signal) when connected to it, now it randomly turn on and off and flickers. There was no issue initially, happens after a while. Clean install didnt help, and i thought the problem with the monitor, but it is working fine with other computer.
Now, I have had enough with thinkpad, the quality is no longer there like the good old when it was under ibm.

J_L

Surprisingly, there are still more hits for "1050" instead of 1650 via Ctrl+F. At least 1650 would be what I assume is the actual GPU...

Benjamin Herzig

Quote from: J_L on August 04, 2020, 23:54:18Surprisingly, there are still more hits for "1050" instead of 1650 via Ctrl+F. At least 1650 would be what I assume is the actual GPU...
Sorry about that - the spec sheet quite clearly names the GTX 1050, so that was just a typo. I guess my brain also could not comprehend at first why the GTX 1050 is used here ;D

Antonio Smith

Honestly I feel like the smarter move here was ryzen because of better power efficiency and Better performance with the new 4000 series mobile chips

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview