News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Huawei’s HiSilicon 1020 5nm chipset might be a bigger chip than the Apple A14 Bionic and cost more: but will it be faster?

Started by Redaktion, August 02, 2020, 09:44:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

A Weibo tipster recently claimed that the HiSilicon Kirin 1020 chipset will cost somewhere in between Apple's A14 Bionic and the upcoming ARM chipset for MacBook. This raises questions about pricing for future Huawei smartphones, apart from the performance implications.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Huawei-s-HiSilicon-1020-5nm-chipset-might-be-a-bigger-chip-than-the-Apple-A14-Bionic-and-cost-more-but-will-it-be-faster.483903.0.html

c3n4i1

I thought they were banned from using ARM and TSMC?? Please explain. I also thought that the new devices are not allowed to use Android and Google services.
If everything above is true, it will be a worthless device.

Backlog

Quote from: c3n4i1 on August 02, 2020, 10:28:05
I thought they were banned from using ARM and TSMC?? Please explain. I also thought that the new devices are not allowed to use Android and Google services.
If everything above is true, it will be a worthless device.

Yes, TSMC will be fulfilling orders for another 2 months or so and they've been buying up massive quantities of chips in that time period. Afterwards, we'll probably have to see what they do with SMIC.

ChrisGX

We know a lot about the size of ARM and Apple cores. The Weibo tipster is probably just mistaken. Licensed ARM cores are commonly more deliberately optimised for area and power than Apple's cores.

Apple's (big) performance cores tend to offer higher performance than licensed ARM cores and licensed ARM performance cores tend to be both smaller and more power efficient than Apple's performance cores.

Other SoC features, e.g. NPU, can make a difference, however.

S.Yu

From what I can tell stock ARM cores are and have been smaller than Apple's custom large cores, OTOH Mali has been known to be both large and inefficient compared to both Qualcomm's and Imaginary/Apple's solutions for years. Along with the trend to go slow and wide, I could only think that they'd put more area to the graphics, unless they plan on enlarging even further that useless "NPU" that still doesn't have a proper use case?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview