News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

AMD rumored to be working on a Ryzen Pro mobile workstation Renoir APU with Vega 11 iGPU, more PCIe lanes and increased RAM capacity

Started by Redaktion, July 31, 2020, 14:22:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Apparently AMD has heard all the woes regarding the need for Renoir laptops with more powerful dGPU options and is now working on an improved APU that may offer full 16x PCIe 3.0 lanes so it can be paired with models above the RTX 2060. The upcoming Ryzen Pro workstation APU would also offer support for up to 128 GB LPDDR4x RAM without the usual Renoir restrictions, plus a Vega 11 iGPU.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-rumored-to-be-working-on-a-Ryzen-Pro-mobile-workstation-Renoir-APU-with-Vega-11-iGPU-more-PCIe-lanes-and-increased-RAM-capacity.483702.0.html

Dharan

Don't tell me that this PCI-e limitation is the cause of not pairing it with high end GPUs... All laptop manufactures decided to do it this way to mint money...

Tov

Vuyo

"now working on an improved APU that may offer full 16x PCIe 3.0 lanes so it can be paired with models above the RTX 2060"

Oh dear lord, is this WCCFTech?

Vectrobe

Practically, all laptops feature the x8 lane limit to the GPU, for a few reasons;
- most mobile GPUs don't have all 16 lanes present, to save power
- mobile CPU parts only have 20-24 lanes total... because more wastes cost and... power
- using a chipset with more lanes (or at all for AMD laptops) increases costs... and power again
- the 2080 and up are the only GPUs really that would actually take advantage of the full 16 lanes, of which at that point you're going to be CPU and GPU TDP bound anyway... because power

The ryzen 4000 mobile parts already have 20/24 lanes present. No, you really don't need any more, and no, you don't need a chipset there to boost the lane count. If any manufacturer really really really wanted their laptop to feature a x16 link to the dedicated GPU, they'd simply not wire the second NVMe slot, or split the second slot to only x2 lanes.

8&8

I was waiting for this news, infact they forgot R9 4900G that higly probably will came out in the end of the year, the big problem is that even if with 11CU and higher TDP like 75W we won't see a giant step from the previousAPUs generations , meanwhile it's expected to be a 4750G OC nothing of more.
With 4x density processor and still far away from PS4 APU beast... that's very weird.
I'm more positive about Cezanne that will be like a giant step from A12 9800 to R5 2400G that has double graphics performances.
But PS4 graphic perfs is like RX vega M GH of 8809G in hades canyon that's more similar to GTX 960, far away from AMD philosophy that produce APUs that increase their iGPU perfs based on +5-10 fps every year.

Johannes Carlsson

I am currently sitting on a Precision 5540 with T2000 graphic card and i7-9850H. Performance on this is pretty decent for generic CAD work in SolidWorks but it would be really nice if AMD could spit out a APU that would really diminish it on power efficiency while adding a slight increase in performance. Longer battery life and less fan noise :)

Astar

Quote from: Tov on July 31, 2020, 20:19:20
They should concentrate to bring mobile Zen3+Rdna2 to the market as soon as Q1 next year.

Exactly my sentiments. Why waste engineering resources & time on old tech like Zen 2 & Vega? Besides mobile Zen3 + Rdna2, AMD can also move to a 6nm process while waiting for 5nm to hit mainstream volume pricing. Also AMD should do some arm wringing of OEMs to make them provide USB4 asap.

But knowing Lisa Su and the team, they probably feel that increasing the die size and more transistors would be the least resource intensive effort without upsetting the tick-tock cadence. But perhaps turning that tick tock cycle on its head would really scare the hell out of Intel!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview