News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

AMD essentially confirms 5 nm Zen 4 CPUs and "advanced node" RDNA 3 GPUs will launch by 2021 in latest corporate presentation

Started by Redaktion, July 28, 2020, 17:15:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The updated slides show that among the lineups to receive a performance boost are the Zen 4 EPYC "Genoa" server-grade CPUs, the CDNA 2 compute GPUs and the RDNA 3 gaming GPUs. Curiously enough, AMD did not update the desktop CPU roadmap past the Zen 3 Vermeer CPUs launching this year, but there are solid chances for 5 nm desktop variants to be launched by the end of 2021.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-essentially-confirms-5-nm-Zen-4-CPUs-and-advanced-node-RDNA-3-GPUs-will-launch-by-2021-in-latest-corporate-presentation.483288.0.html

Tov

And when is Zen3+RDNA2 laptop combo? I'm tired of Ryzen+low end NVIDIA GPU.

Jordan Mukwaya

Quote from: Tov on July 28, 2020, 18:30:32

Never. AMD is lazy with mobile products and just doesn't care. They are pairing Zen3 with Vega still in 2021 and in 2022 they are going to use Zen 3+ (which will be an old node) and RDNA2 (which will also be an old architecture) on 6nm or 7nm (Even though 5nm fab releases are this year and they have 5nm products for next year). Better to Hope that Alder lake delivers on iGPU performance. Maybe a 6-core mobile chip with 128EU GPU. Would leave AMD in the dust and it would serve then right for not caring about the mobile market.

George P

Bogdan I think the title is missing an "the end of" in front of 2021

Turkey Baster

Why do people even bother writing these articles?

Yearly launches in the tech industry?!?! Gasp! I'm so surprised....

Ugh. So boring.

Targonis

Zen3 desktop chips(non-APU) are expected in September-November of this year.   Laptop APUs tend to show up in Q1-Q2 of the following year, generally a 4-6 month delay after the pure CPU comes out.

Note that the Zen2 APUs for laptops are here, and those Ryzen 4000 laptop chips are good performers.   They may use an enhanced Vega for the GPU side, but these are not bad performers.   Mobile GPUs will follow the desktop versions, with RDNA 2 also expected in September-November of 2020.   

Targonis

Quote from: Turkey Baster on July 28, 2020, 22:39:50
Why do people even bother writing these articles?

Yearly launches in the tech industry?!?! Gasp! I'm so surprised....

Ugh. So boring.

Launches are not the thing to be excited about, but what AMD brings to the table.   Zen2 improved IPC by 13% compared to Zen+ for example, and Zen3 is expected to improve IPC by another 13-18 percent compared to Zen2.   These are not just "more of the same, but a tiny bit faster", but are significant.   Intel didn't improve IPC for four years.

The move to 5nm will be interesting, but the exact benefit remains to be seen.   Power draw at the same speed will be lower with 5nm compared to 7nm, but we shall see how performance changes from the new node.

Lolercoaster

Quote from: Jordan Mukwaya on July 28, 2020, 19:36:44

Never. AMD is lazy with mobile products and just doesn't care. They are pairing Zen3 with Vega still in 2021 and in 2022 they are going to use Zen 3+ (which will be an old node) and RDNA2 (which will also be an old architecture) on 6nm or 7nm (Even though 5nm fab releases are this year and they have 5nm products for next year). Better to Hope that Alder lake delivers on iGPU performance. Maybe a 6-core mobile chip with 128EU GPU. Would leave AMD in the dust and it would serve then right for not caring about the mobile market.

It's about node allocation, competition and design time. You realize that most processors are designed about 3-4 years out yeah? No reason for AMD to steal node volume from non-apu parts until after it has been released and sold for quite some time. Intel was spanked by amd's 4000 series laptop parts in both CPU and GPU, we all know this. Navi will be implemented in next gen APUs as it is with the pending console releases (which is probably another reason you don't see it in the 4000 series). Navi will most likely be on par if not better than Intels next-gen igpu's anyway so they don't have to worry about it really.

Also, your comment doesn't even answer the question, just babbles about BS that makes you sound like a shill. AMD doesn't have control over what an AIB designer decides to do with their products. I would highly suspect that it has more to do AIB's waiting to see when AMDs mobile products begun to become at Intel levels of mobile performance, which the 4000 series clearly does. Next year will most definitely see AMD mobile processors place along side high end discrete GPUs. The same thing happened with ryzen desktop and motherboards. Once the designers saw that ryzen was a real competitor, they began creating vastly better motherboard options.

tatakai

Did the writer do any research, or is this based on assumptions? Those images don't show zen 4 in 2021.

Roan

Roan

I really don't see how AMD will launch Zen4 on or before Desember 2021 if they are barely going to get Zen3 ready for Desember 2020.

Do you have proof for your title? If not you should really change that clickbait s***

stoneagee

This is going to be interesting.
Now Intel has two choices under the precondition if TSMC continues to push the limit.
1. Embrace TSMC's technology and keep up with AMD. While doing that, it will divulge whatever secrets Intel's so proud of, or not, depending your point of view. And this will seal the model for fabs and independent designers.
2. Try to restart their fabs, which doesnt look so good after years of sputtering. Design nodes for 10nm or fast forward to 3nm? Is it even possible?
The speed that we are racing down to these nm is relentless and breath taking. Would Intel has the capability to tend both? 10nm team coexists with a 3nm team? I tend to think its a tough decision that Intel have to choose one side only.
Oh, the implications ...

Bogdan Solca

Quote from: Roan on July 29, 2020, 13:52:58
I really don't see how AMD will launch Zen4 on or before Desember 2021 if they are barely going to get Zen3 ready for Desember 2020.

Do you have proof for your title? If not you should really change that clickbait s***
I'd suggest polishing up on your reading comprehension skills. Title does not mention anything about DESKTOP 5 nm Zen 4.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview