News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

AMD claims to put Intel to the sword with its Ryzen Threadripper PRO series

Started by Redaktion, July 15, 2020, 15:18:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

AMD is not pulling any punches with its new Ryzen Threadripper PRO series. Featuring 12-64 core processors, the Ryzen Threadripper PRO series apparently dwarfs competing Intel Xeon processors. AMD even claims that one Threadripper PRO 3995WX can outperform two Xeon Platinum 8280 processors in countless tasks.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-claims-to-put-Intel-to-the-sword-with-its-Ryzen-Threadripper-PRO-series.481421.0.html

_MT_

So, if it's coming this fall, they're going to be selling a year old technology (Epyc Rome was released in August). It's essentially an Epyc clocked like a Threadripper. I guess I find it difficult to get excited about this as it was obvious they could do it if only they wanted to. Threadripper 2 was a big deal. How they got rid of the weird NUMA arrangement. That was a really nice surprise. And that's exactly why I think this is going to have a limited impact. You need to be memory or I/O bound. I wonder what are they going to do with all those PCIe lanes in a workstation. 6 GPUs in a tower? The timing is strange. By the time this goes to the market, we might have Zen 3 Epyc.

Mr.Roboto

Threadripper 3945WX with a base clock of 4.0 Ghz and boost clock of 4.2 Ghz...dang presentation or editing mistake?

Tov

Quote from: _MT_ on July 15, 2020, 17:57:28
So, if it's coming this fall, they're going to be selling a year old technology (Epyc Rome was released in August). It's essentially an Epyc clocked like a Threadripper. I guess I find it difficult to get excited about this as it was obvious they could do it if only they wanted to. Threadripper 2 was a big deal. How they got rid of the weird NUMA arrangement. That was a really nice surprise. And that's exactly why I think this is going to have a limited impact. You need to be memory or I/O bound. I wonder what are they going to do with all those PCIe lanes in a workstation. 6 GPUs in a tower? The timing is strange. By the time this goes to the market, we might have Zen 3 Epyc.
Skylake is 6 year old man.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview