News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 & T14s now available with AMD Ryzen 4000

Started by Redaktion, July 09, 2020, 00:17:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

A litle late, but finally here: The AMD versions of the ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 and ThinkPad T14s Gen 1 are available. The two 14 inch business laptops are the first T series ThinkPads with AMD Ryzen 4000, also known as AMD Renoir.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T14-T14s-now-available-with-AMD-Ryzen-4000.480750.0.html

Bob

With no Thunderbolt and such dim displays, the quality had better be very good.  Otherwise, what's the point of going with something like this over e.g. a 2-in-1 HP Envy with Ryzen 4700U, a 1000 nit display and 16 GB of RAM?  For roughly half the price?  Or even a clunkier but similarly spec'd Dell Inspiron 7000?  Which can take 32 GB of RAM and is also a 2-in-1?

And the ways these vendors are particularly limiting the options in the US market, where they know they can get away with it, is especially telling.

It's disappointing to see the way that Intel's anti-competitive behavior has stifled this whole generation of laptops.

I'm done with Intel until they go through the ringer.  Hopefully in a few seasons, laptop makers will realize it's not worth it to cater to a company that seems to care more about cheating and gaming the market than increasing the quality of their products or reducing wasteful energy usage.

I hope they get thoroughly spanked by regulators in Europe and elsewhere.

nk

I just uploaded a review on T14s to YouTube. Although it's in Korean you can see some benchmark figures. :)

A

So they want almost 2k for a 8gb ram laptop on the 14s? Seriously?

Looking at intel T14s it is price A LOT cheaper.

This is nothing more than BS. I'll just wait

kek

QuoteWith no Thunderbolt and such dim displays, the quality had better be very good.  Otherwise, what's the point of going with something like this over e.g. a 2-in-1 HP Envy with Ryzen 4700U, a 1000 nit display and 16 GB of RAM?  For roughly half the price?  Or even a clunkier but similarly spec'd Dell Inspiron 7000?  Which can take 32 GB of RAM and is also a 2-in-1?

And the ways these vendors are particularly limiting the options in the US market, where they know they can get away with it, is especially telling.

It's disappointing to see the way that Intel's anti-competitive behavior has stifled this whole generation of laptops.

I'm done with Intel until they go through the ringer.  Hopefully in a few seasons, laptop makers will realize it's not worth it to cater to a company that seems to care more about cheating and gaming the market than increasing the quality of their products or reducing wasteful energy usage.

Bla bla bla Intel bad, AMD good

Before starting to blame Intel, blame first AMD for not making their own thunderbolt controller for their stuff, and OEMs for cutting corners on Renoir devices.
Also, just look how much months have passed by since announcement. Corona or not, that hasn't stopped Qualcomm or Intel on their releases.

Also, as long as Intel helps with the design, support and sales (including business sales) continue to flourish, forget about OEMs dropping Intel from its position, especially on laptops, where Intel still has a big upper hand, aside from perfomance.

Alex544

QuoteWith no Thunderbolt and such dim displays, the quality had better be very good.  Otherwise, what's the point of going with something like this over e.g. a 2-in-1 HP Envy with Ryzen 4700U, a 1000 nit display and 16 GB of RAM?  For roughly half the price?  Or even a clunkier but similarly spec'd Dell Inspiron 7000?  Which can take 32 GB of RAM and is also a 2-in-1?

is this a joke?
they have 250, 300, 400, and 500 nit displays. even 250 nit is all you really need unless you work in direct sunlight.
you want 1000 nit? for what? to go blind?

and how can you compare HP and Dell's low-quality consumer lineup to Thinkpad T-series? this is embarassing.

Bob

Quoteand how can you compare HP and Dell's low-quality consumer lineup to Thinkpad T-series? this is embarassing.

That's just my point!  8)  They shouldn't be comparable, but go ahead and study at the specs and the reviews.  Aside from build quality and some niceties (assuming Lenovo has maintained its commitment to ThinkPad quality), they are just too comparable.  The price difference is hard to justify.  Vendors just aren't offering premium AMD laptops that directly square off with the premium Intel laptops.  And I doubt it's because they can't.

Just the fact that Lenovo is offering pro grade laptops with 8GB of soldered RAM?  On an 8 core system with the best notebook processor on the market?  What a bummer  :-[

You might disagree, but I'm convinced it has something to do with Intel's incentive programs.

In terms of the basic specs and design, some of these budget laptops are more appealing than the pro ones at this point, especially now that they support charging by power delivery.  Aside from the fact that the hinges might get all wobbly in a couple of years and stuff like that, they seem to bring quite a bit more value as far as performance and basic functionality go.

Look at the 2020 AMD HP Envy review on notebookcheck.  Looks pretty solid to me!  And that's the Ryzen 5 version with 8 GB RAM.

The biggest issue for me is that these Intel systems seem to rely heavily on throttling to keep the heat down, which sucks for realtime (e.g. audio) applications.  And even then they still run hot.  I'm over it!  Last year I spent $3k on a high end 8th gen Intel laptop (Dell) only to find that the fan spins loudly at 8000 RPM more than half the time.  Even sometimes when the system is idle, on "quiet" mode.

That said, the AMD X13 looks pretty good, and you can get it with 32 GB of RAM, but there aren't any 2-in-1 options and there's no Thunderbolt.  So I'll wait!

hxhdhd

On UK website only E14, E15 and IdeaPad 3 are listed, and all have lead time of 6+ weeks. I've been waiting for IdeaPad 5 for two months now. Total embarrasment, I will not be buying Lenovo when they come out.

Wobsquabob

Why are they DOUBLE the price of the E15 gen 2 (AMD)???
For similar specs, let's compare...
"Business / PRO" CPUs with practically the exact same specs
Soldered single channel memory, with option to add 1 SODIMM coming to a maximum of 32GB in the T vs 24GB in the E
Same overpriced SSD
A selection of terrible screens including 768p on the T, but only sensible 1080p TN or IPS options on the E
T series has 1 extra USB-C slot with Lenovo's fixed-to-motherboard solution that can be irreparably broken, a smartcard reader option, a big exhaust by the right side that blows hot air directly onto your mouse hand.
T having 12% more mWh battery life.
Everything else identical.
Select any specs, the T series is double the price.

Wobsquabob

Between the E series and T series with new AMD CPUs
I want to see a performance comparison for realistic workloads of rendering and code-compilation over extended periods of time. The only practical differences that I can observe are that the T series has a couple more ports and an exhaust port while the E series has no visible exhaust (worrisome).

Bobo1932

Isn't this normal for Lenovo with the "MSRP". If in US, look for the 50% off code....

E has more plastic and heavier isn't it?

Alex544

Quote from: Bob on July 09, 2020, 06:31:28
Quoteand how can you compare HP and Dell's low-quality consumer lineup to Thinkpad T-series? this is embarassing.

That's just my point!  8)  They shouldn't be comparable, but go ahead and study at the specs and the reviews.  Aside from build quality and some niceties (assuming Lenovo has maintained its commitment to ThinkPad quality), they are just too comparable.  The price difference is hard to justify.  Vendors just aren't offering premium AMD laptops that directly square off with the premium Intel laptops.  And I doubt it's because they can't.

Just the fact that Lenovo is offering pro grade laptops with 8GB of soldered RAM?  On an 8 core system with the best notebook processor on the market?  What a bummer  :-[

You might disagree, but I'm convinced it has something to do with Intel's incentive programs.

In terms of the basic specs and design, some of these budget laptops are more appealing than the pro ones at this point, especially now that they support charging by power delivery.  Aside from the fact that the hinges might get all wobbly in a couple of years and stuff like that, they seem to bring quite a bit more value as far as performance and basic functionality go.

Look at the 2020 AMD HP Envy review on notebookcheck.  Looks pretty solid to me!  And that's the Ryzen 5 version with 8 GB RAM.

The biggest issue for me is that these Intel systems seem to rely heavily on throttling to keep the heat down, which sucks for realtime (e.g. audio) applications.  And even then they still run hot.  I'm over it!  Last year I spent $3k on a high end 8th gen Intel laptop (Dell) only to find that the fan spins loudly at 8000 RPM more than half the time.  Even sometimes when the system is idle, on "quiet" mode.

That said, the AMD X13 looks pretty good, and you can get it with 32 GB of RAM, but there aren't any 2-in-1 options and there's no Thunderbolt.  So I'll wait!

I don't think you understand the importance of build quality and the features that business laptops offer to some people...
And this is normal pricing for ThinkPads at launch. They take advantage of ThinkPad enthusiasts and charge more at release, just like any other manufacturer but Lenovo is a bit more extreme. In a month or two it'll drop down to $1000 or less for a well-configured model. I would take that over some garbage consumer Envy/Inspiron laptop any time.

Snidder

Quote from: Bobo1932 on July 09, 2020, 21:03:02
Isn't this normal for Lenovo with the "MSRP". If in US, look for the 50% off code....

E has more plastic and heavier isn't it?
The E14 can be selected with Aluminum chassis. The otherwise-identical E15 doesn't seem to have this option but its customization webpage is also full of typos so maybe that's just a mistake?
Shockingly it is half a kilo lighter... but still both way less than 2kg which is practically unnoticeable in a suitcase or backpack. Is that worth $1000 dollars?

A

I think lenovo is still trying to milk people here, I would wait a month and it'll probably be $500 cheaper.

The AMD 3000 series, AMD was cheaper than Intel by a decent amount. Now AMD 4000 series is priced $400 above the intel series.

The reason is due to coupons not being applied yet to the new models like the THINKBIGSALE. I would wait.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview