News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Dell G5 15 SE with AMD Ryzen 7 4800H records above 100 °C average CPU temperatures leaving the Asus TUF Gaming A15 as the better Ryzen 4000 gaming laptop option

Started by Redaktion, June 12, 2020, 18:39:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The new all-AMD Dell G5 15 SE (5505) gaming laptop has been put through its paces in a new video from Jarrod'sTech, mainly to discover how hot the device runs. Worryingly, the AMD Ryzen 7 4800H APU inside reached average temperatures of over 100 °C during stress testing. It seems the Asus TUF Gaming A15 with the same Renoir APU offers a better cooling solution.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-G5-15-SE-with-AMD-Ryzen-7-4800H-records-above-100-C-average-CPU-temperatures-leaving-the-Asus-TUF-Gaming-A15-as-the-better-Ryzen-4000-gaming-laptop-option.469723.0.html

MOFO

Of course it runs hot it's a DELL and the last thing they think of is engineering a good cooling system.
Opening the screen that block the exhaust is a braindead idea.

kek

Dell is usually good for repair-it-yourself people, since you can pretty much get any replacement part online.

I feel they have gotten too comfortable with what they have and have started just copy pasting internal designs everywhere.

But, things like this, and their lack of interest in putting better cooling solutions on all their machines, is making me consider HP or Razer, especially the Mercury White Razer, which gives two fans to work with and overall has a good design.

Gfcdddshfxzs

I like how AMD fanboys have jumped and commented. Sure dell is at fault here. AMD firmware and smartshift or maybe I should call it smartshit are perfect. They should just leave the hardware components to toast cause Dell and every OEM that serves AMD is somehow obligated to install a big chiller just for AMD. Guys, reality check. Oems are not responsible to do AMD work. Why do you think there is only one laptop with AMD cpu + gpu? Cause oems are bribed by Nvidia? Yeah right. When oems don't do the same thing that they do with the competition, for sure it is bribe. You're such a bunch of conspiracy believers that is just hilarious. Try to look around you and understand oems have technical reasons why they don't jump all AMD in. Here is one example for you. The 5600xt eats almost 150w to give what 2060/2070 max q give at 80-90w

Manish

Quote from: Gfcdddshfxzs on June 12, 2020, 21:54:05
I like how AMD fanboys have jumped and commented. Sure dell is at fault here. AMD firmware and smartshift or maybe I should call it smartshit are perfect. They should just leave the hardware components to toast cause Dell and every OEM that serves AMD is somehow obligated to install a big chiller just for AMD. Guys, reality check. Oems are not responsible to do AMD work. Why do you think there is only one laptop with AMD cpu + gpu? Cause oems are bribed by Nvidia? Yeah right. When oems don't do the same thing that they do with the competition, for sure it is bribe. You're such a bunch of conspiracy believers that is just hilarious. Try to look around you and understand oems have technical reasons why they don't jump all AMD in. Here is one example for you. The 5600xt eats almost 150w to give what 2060/2070 max q give at 80-90w

True. As of now oem should:
CPU=AMD
GPU=NVIDIA

Razer sharp blade V7

I similarly love how it takes a random ydudujdjhdbdcg to professionally, and with so much expertise, attach poor engineering solely to dumb, evil, hot etc. AMDumb and so on.
Both are poor devices imo. The TUF has its faults, and the G5 is an unfortunate furnace. 2nd review wave for the win *shrug*
Inb4 "b-but AMD hot! because there are no issues on glorious Intel laptops!!!" There are. Good luck sustaining even a remotely straight line in Cinebench, on most toasters out there. That's what counts. Dell can make decent cooling (enter G7, first revision Alienware m17) but something went oopsie daisy this time, and I ain't even considering any ever so popular and spicy "bribery" conspiracies...

SSilver

"and opines that both the dust filter mesh on the inside of the base and the way the screen is attached to the base could contribute to potential heat issues" - the back was removed and the temperatures were the same.

Jaspreet

I just bought dell g7 7590 with i7 9750H, it used to reach 100C out of the box, GTA 5 exit when gaming.

Their engineering team sucks now a days and thermal compound is of cheap quality

A

I'm not sure why everyone is so surprised, DELL's target audience isn't just gamers but grandma's too who wish to bake cookies on their laptops.

There are very few dells for the past few years that don't get much much hotter than their counterparts. Which is sad considering Dell makes some of the better laptops and their in-home warranty is one of the best.

They just need to hire some people that do thermals right. It's kind of embarassing.

sarkaaara

This is not Intel and AMD contest. It's a problem with PC manufacturers. PC makers and Windows do not know how thermodynamics work. 
Go to Lenovo forum, P53 with 8-core i9880H is thermal throttling like anything due to bad design from Lenovo. Now Dell has dropped the ball with all-AMD design, somewhat by ASUS with TUF A15. 

Take a look at Apple - they know how to make good thermals and continuously performing laptops. Granted due to many design flows 2016-2019 macbooks are bad and not popular. 

However nobody can deny the fact pre-2015 and 2019 MBP16 onward macbooks are now back with bang. 

Yes, MBPs are overpriced than similar configured Dell/Lenovo but now the price gap is only 300-400$. Those who can afford it, should go for MBP16 or new MBP13. Do not forget, MBP16 can run on 100W charger, every other PC laptops need 130W+ power. Lol at them.

Josepsh

Quote from: sarkaaara on June 13, 2020, 03:43:35
This is not Intel and AMD contest. It's a problem with PC manufacturers. PC makers and Windows do not know how thermodynamics work. 
Go to Lenovo forum, P53 with 8-core i9880H is thermal throttling like anything due to bad design from Lenovo. Now Dell has dropped the ball with all-AMD design, somewhat by ASUS with TUF A15. 

Take a look at Apple - they know how to make good thermals and continuously performing laptops. Granted due to many design flows 2016-2019 macbooks are bad and not popular. 

However nobody can deny the fact pre-2015 and 2019 MBP16 onward macbooks are now back with bang. 

Yes, MBPs are overpriced than similar configured Dell/Lenovo but now the price gap is only 300-400$. Those who can afford it, should go for MBP16 or new MBP13. Do not forget, MBP16 can run on 100W charger, every other PC laptops need 130W+ power. Lol at them.
I broke my laptop ?. .

A

Just because Dell is bad at thermals doesn't mean other are. Most have better than Dell. Of course there will always be exceptions within generations, hence why we hop brands to whoever makes the best one.

As for MBP, they have their own set of issues, and they have had heating issues as well. (Though for me personally, I don't buy any laptop which doesn't have in home warranty, some people might have nothing better to do then waste their time going to the store to fix stuff, I prefer they come to me)

Last but not least, why does it matter if they use 100W+ chargers exactly? You can still use a 100W charger on a laptop that comes with a 200W charger even. All the charger dictates is maximum charge rate. And this maximum charge rate accounts for efficiency loss over time, and running all kind of accessories at maximum(including thunderbolt and docks). Fact of the matter is, I ran my old Dell that came with a 90W charger on a 60W charger without issue. Just look at the ASUS TUF A15 review, it comes with a 230W charger but maximum load was only 147W. So basing things on the power adapter size is nothing more than ignorance.

RinzImpulse

>Macbook pro
>Good thermal

lol

Kobiandy23

Dell and Intel have been in bed for how long? For the power the Ryzen 4800U packs they sure did choose a pretty dated design to use. I called BS the moment that laptop was announced, no one should even consider buying it over the Asus or even Lenovo offerings.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview