News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Dell XPS 15 9500 Core i7 GeForce GTX 1650 Ti Laptop Review: No Core i9 Nonsense

Started by Redaktion, June 09, 2020, 06:38:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

What are the differences between a $1300 XPS 15 and a $2400 XPS 15? Aside from the obvious display resolution and performance advantages, there are some smaller changes as well. We go over all of them here.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-XPS-15-9500-Core-i7-GeForce-GTX-1650-Ti-Laptop-Review-No-Core-i9-Nonsense.468199.0.html

Ariliquin

"It's too bad that there are still no AMD Ryzen options for the Dell XPS series. The Ryzen 7 4800H, for example, is able to handily outperform any mobile Intel 10th gen Core i7 model and even many Core i9 models as well. "
Yip, its the difference between me buying one and not. 42% improved multi-core performance is no joke. I would expect better thermals and battery also leading to better GPU options. Dell could have had a best seller on their hands if they had provided an AMD option.

Tov

Yes, this is non sense for Super thin laptops better use 4800u or 4900HS, eliminate dGPU then sell it for 900US.

brain4storm

Quote from: Ariliquin on June 09, 2020, 09:45:46
"It's too bad that there are still no AMD Ryzen options for the Dell XPS series. The Ryzen 7 4800H, for example, is able to handily outperform any mobile Intel 10th gen Core i7 model and even many Core i9 models as well. "
Ryzen does not support Thunderbolt 3 so Dell will not install Ryzen to XPS.
There are roumors that USB 4 will support Thunderbolt 3.

splus

Sar1115

This config is not available in UK, we have the i7 10750.
Will it be the same for an average user? or will it make a big difference

From your experience do you know when/if it will be available ?

Lum Dërmaku

The amount of AMD fanboys in here is really astonishing and sad. A cpu's performance is not determined only from its lithography, there are a lot of other factors that affect it. Intel with 14nm has almost the same single core performance (not sure about IPC) compared to Ryzen 4th gen 7nm. So you think that Dell would want to make amd ryzen laptops and pretty much stop selling their tb3 docks that are aimed that XPS/Precision owners? So just like that you think that they'll lose their own products over fulfilling fanboys' dreams? This is not like in dekstop motherboards where Asrock (and now others) 1 year ago made amd motherboards with tb3 support. These are laptop mobos, laptop manufacturers make their own mobos. There are still a lot of users that rely on tb3 for: docks, hubs, external nvme pciegen3x4 ssds, external gpus, etc. Also, there are compatibility issues with amd cpus (specifically ryzen cpus) in a lot of apps/usecases, f.e: because of my work, i cannot use amd ryzen cpus since work requires to use Android Studio's emulator which works (well, used to work) only on Intel cpus (search intel Haxm) and trying to run the emulator with cause a BSOD. There are workarounds but still not as good as having something that just works. There you have a specific usecase ( of mine) where i need intel cpus. Also, there's this QuickSync thing that PremierePro video editors use for faster export times, they simply cannot switch to a whole other platform since they need that feature. As much as i'd want a ryzen based Xps 15, that will probably never happen because even with the release of USB 4, there will probably be TB4 released by then which will have even higher bandwidth than 40GBps, like 60 or 80. Of course i'm just assuming that, maybe it will not happen but we will have to wait and see.

Alex90s

Not a good review this has clearly been positioned in benchmarks to avoid directly comparing it to a mbp, wtf?

Also this reviewer hasn't spent enough time with the unit to find all the issues that are widespread.

Notebook check has disappointment me, as I've just returned my XP's 9500 for the mbp 16 for major issues that three replacements didn't have.

Surfer

Can't wait to see how the 17 inch version fares since that has vapor chamber cooling.

RicoVIking9000

Soooo how did you guys manage to get astonishingly different results with the DPC latency compared to Just Josh?

PodE

Thank you for great in-depth reviews!
Especially like that you comment on emissions/noise.
I have noticed that you don´t comment on coil whine quite as often lately, as in this one. Could you please pick that up again? Can´t stand coil whine.
And also love when you comment the characteristics of the noise - high pitched/annoying/not disturbing etc.
All the best,
PodE

_MT_

Quote from: splus on June 09, 2020, 12:26:05
USB 4 IS Thunderbolt 3. Not a rumor, but official specs.
It's a bit more complicated. Thunderbolt 3 served as the basis for USB4. But that doesn't mean USB4 is going to provide all the features of Thunderbolt. USB4 support doesn't necessarily mean support for TB3 eGPU for example. We get the improvement in speed thanks to TB3, but USB is still going to be USB.

More importantly, Intel opened up and gave the green light to manufacturers making their Thunderbolt controllers and even gave Thunderbolt certification to a motherboard with AMD chipset. That's really the important change as it now should be possible to build the necessary controllers and get the certification from Intel even for AMD systems.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview