News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

MacBook Pro 13 2020 in Review: Apple's subnotebook only gets the mandatory update

Started by Redaktion, June 02, 2020, 11:49:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Apple refreshes its 13-inch MacBook Pro with a new keyboard, but the other changes are minor. You get new processors, but only the performance of the integrated graphics adapter has improved.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/MacBook-Pro-13-2020-in-Review-Apple-s-subnotebook-only-gets-the-mandatory-update.467617.0.html

Rick

The difference with the Acer Swift 3 is remarkable. The Ryzen 4700U is a nominally a 15W CPU (Anandtech found a sustained 18W consumption, if I am not mistaken). The 4700U is also NOT the highest performance Ryzen CPU (no hyperthreading and the iGPU lacks one CU).

Yet, and against a chip with twice the available power/consumption and in notebook 3 times more expensive, the Acer get a +6% single core CPU, a +17% multi core CPU (or even +26% if you look at Cinebench R15) and +12% in the iGPU.

Nope

Quote from: jazzi on June 02, 2020, 11:57:26
Try Lemor Pro of System76.com, 2.2 pounds, Linux preinstalled.

Or the TUXEDO InfinityBook S 14 v5 if you prefer to have the same laptop in silver.

johnnyzg

Price is just too high in Croatia, 18.599 HRK, around 2.450 EUR. In Slovenia it's 2.349 EUR. I'm thinking of ordering somehow from Austria with US keyboard or waiting for a discount until it hits price like in Austria at 2.129 EUR. I think this one is finally ready to replace 13" rMBP from late 2013.

Squiddy

Tom S

92? This is outrageous. Lack of ports, lack of SD card, slow response time on-screen, poor performance, high price, 720p webcam, no Wi-Fi 6. Also, keyboard 96%... are you joking? Notebookcheck are clearly paid by Apple.

John Doe

Notebookcheck was clearly paid by Apple for this review. Just look at the device, it looks way too outdated for a 2020 device and the prices are absurd.

92% is a joke. Also considering the Dell XPS 13 9300 was given a lower percentage for a clearly and obviously better device (also cheaper).

_MT_

Quote from: Rick on June 02, 2020, 12:15:23
The difference with the Acer Swift 3 is remarkable. The Ryzen 4700U is a nominally a 15W CPU (Anandtech found a sustained 18W consumption, if I am not mistaken).
Their TDP is configurable. The highest configuration is 25 W I believe. In this regard, it's pretty similar to what Intel is offering (this is also a 15 W chip that's configurable to 25 W; except Apple has a special version which is rather irrelevant anyway). Of course, they calculate TDP differently so 15 W of Intel is not the same as 15 W of AMD. I don't know if Acer allows you to choose. Yes, it's a little beast even in the 15 W configuration (if I had a choice, I would probably stick with 15 W). And the elephant in the room is motherboard/ BIOS.

As far as the difference, you have to keep in mind that you're comparing a 4 core with an 8 core processor. 8 cores would probably win even with the same architecture. As long as the benchmark scales well, more cores are going to win (up to a point). Because higher frequencies are less efficient (cutting power to a half doesn't reduce frequency to a half; it's going to be stable with lower voltage). If you have more cores with the same budget, you have less power per core therefore it's going to run slower and more efficient (again, up to a point).

Mate

Unfortunately your score formula is completely outdated and ridiculous.
1. Performance - 2 years ago MBP 13 2018 scored 98% in application performance and 97% in games(lol!). In new model performance dropped to 96% and 75% in games, still ridiculous given that 24 months is a lot and we have now 14inch laptops that massacres maxed out MBP16.

2.Keyboard - for some strange reasons it seems like you always rate high macbooks keyboards. For me new 'magic' one is still s*** - short key travel, no func keys,  can be too hot for comfortable usage...  Even thinkpads that set standards in laptop keyboards for years cant get that high score

3.Connectivity. Macbook pro 13 2017 58%, macbook pro 13 2020 87%. What? Same amount of ports , same bandwidth, similar dongle life...

You should really  rethink how you make laptop scores

tipoo

Any idea why the Surface Laptop 3 13" performed so poorly here? Bad thermals?

Doesn't really make up for it with battery life either, which is also 30% lower than this Macbook.

_MT_

Quote from: Mate on June 03, 2020, 14:50:12
Unfortunately your score formula is completely outdated and ridiculous.
1. Performance - 2 years ago MBP 13 2018 scored 98% in application performance and 97% in games(lol!). In new model performance dropped to 96% and 75% in games, still ridiculous given that 24 months is a lot and we have now 14inch laptops that massacres maxed out MBP16.
You're forgetting that different categories use different scoring. That 14" beast might be considered to be in a different category with different standards and priorities.

Deez Nuts

Quote from: John Doe on June 03, 2020, 08:01:26
Notebookcheck was clearly paid by Apple for this review. Just look at the device, it looks way too outdated for a 2020 device and the prices are absurd.

92% is a joke. Also considering the Dell XPS 13 9300 was given a lower percentage for a clearly and obviously better device (also cheaper).

Are you kidding me lol. Dell XPS is barely in the same league let alone "obviously better". Every XPS I have laid hands on feels cheap. Creaky squeaky plastic that smudges as soon as you touch it. The MacBook Pro is a winning formula that has been refined year after year by Apple who has unlimited R&D money and can afford to pull out all the stops. 92% seems about right to me tbh. This isn't the best value but it is the best ultrabook you can buy full stop especially considering it can be a 13 inch gaming rig replacement with an eGPU. The CPU is only 9% slower than the 45W i7-9750H on userbenchmark.

The XPS is a toy that you would be satisfied with for about 6 months, whereas the MacBook Pro will easily serve you for 5+ years. If you can afford to spend a little more on this MacBook Pro, you will be getting a much more finished product compared to the Dell.

Mate

For example Razer blade stealth is in subnotebook category, so why Asus G14 should be clasiffied as gaming laptop only? Its not much heavier and bigger than MBP13.

Additionally  notebookcheck redaction is certainly aware that Ryzens 4600-4800 are entering market now. In review they stated that Ryzen 4700u is 20% faster than CPU from MBP.  Still,MBP got  super high score in performance. So I guess Ideapad S540-13 or Thinkpad X13(confirmed 13inches with 8c/16t ryzens) will get around 200%?

Jacob

In regards to PWM, I had to return the 16" Macbook Pro because it caused a lot of eye strain. I don't know if it was because of the PWM, but I suspect it was.

Another issue: I could turn the brightness all the way up, stopping the PWM, but it was then way too bright to stare at all day, which also caused eye strain. When I turned the brightness down, the PWM was initialized. However, the contrast also suffered quite a lot. I would *very much* like Notebookcheck's review to compare screens at a medium level brightness of 250 nits, especially in terms of contrast. I suspect most people use their screens at that brightness level, and this would give us a real-world comparison, based on actual usage. As far as I can tell, no other review site does this, and it is another way Notebookcheck could really stand out. Please consider doing this!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview