News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X sees lowest ever pricing: Comet Lake effect on the 64-core 128-thread HEDT part?

Started by Redaktion, May 30, 2020, 08:53:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Shortly after Intel brought its Comet Lake S desktop CPU lineup into play, AMD slashed prices on the 64-core 128-thread Threadripper 3990X. The premium HEDT part is now available for its lowest price yet.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper-3990X-sees-lowest-ever-pricing-Comet-Lake-effect-on-the-64-core-128-thread-HEDT-part.467089.0.html

k

TR is basically low end server product only and not high end desktop. price doesn't allow it to be used as high end desktop, with several applications like ANSYS using AVX2 512, intel offers far more value in space of quad channel memory requirement. surprisingly AMD has no intermediate product to offer value to this customer segment,who require moderately high bandwidth with more crunching power at reasonable price. EPYC low clock speed and costly RAM doesn't justify 8 channel memory for these application. Now problem with this customer segment is that either burn pocket with EPYC or threadripper 3rd generation or settle with ryzen with only dual channel which don't offer value even against fx 8350 forget intel i9. There is only little speed improvement over Fx and it loses badly to quad channel i9. I am really surprise AMD choosing dual channel memory for 16 and more thread. Purely marketing product with no good use. Rather it could have been few 8 or 16 core low price 7nm(3rd zen) threadripper with reasonable cost chipset instead of useless 39xx.

DougJudy

Quote from: k on May 31, 2020, 08:25:07
TR is basically low end server product only and not high end desktop. price doesn't allow it to be used as high end desktop, with several applications like ANSYS using AVX2 512, intel offers far more value in space of quad channel memory requirement. surprisingly AMD has no intermediate product to offer value to this customer segment,who require moderately high bandwidth with more crunching power at reasonable price. EPYC low clock speed and costly RAM doesn't justify 8 channel memory for these application. Now problem with this customer segment is that either burn pocket with EPYC or threadripper 3rd generation or settle with ryzen with only dual channel which don't offer value even against fx 8350 forget intel i9. There is only little speed improvement over Fx and it loses badly to quad channel i9. I am really surprise AMD choosing dual channel memory for 16 and more thread. Purely marketing product with no good use. Rather it could have been few 8 or 16 core low price 7nm(3rd zen) threadripper with reasonable cost chipset instead of useless 39xx.

What a bunch of crap. Threadripper supports quad channel memory and AVX2 (only 256 bits though). Only low clock on epyc? If you call 3,3 Ghz low, sure. The comparable intel chip does 3,7Ghz with less than half the cores/threads and costs a lot more but whatever.

There's also this thing called epyc 7F32 and 7F52 which boosts to 3,9Ghz and has 8 mem channels.

TL:DR you don't seem to know what you're talking about

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview