News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

MSI Modern 14 to feature AMD Ryzen 4000 Renoir processors for as little as US$649

Started by Redaktion, May 29, 2020, 21:06:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The MSI Modern 14 B4M starts at US$649 and can be equipped with up to an AMD Ryzen 7 4700U. The device also has a 52 Wh battery, is 16.9 mm thick and weighs 1.3 kg.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-Modern-14-to-feature-AMD-Ryzen-4000-Renoir-processors-for-as-little-as-US-649.467066.0.html

WiredBrain

Are we going back in time? USB 2.0 ports majority? And I've yet to see manufacturers implement USB type C gen 2x2 port in their products, furthermore gen 2 10GB. At least give us that for AMD based systems.

Pablo240

Yep, slower Ram as well.  Such a shame that there are still no high end Ryzen 4000 ultrabooks on the horizon.  I would not hesitate to purchase something like a spectre x360, xps 13, or galaxy book flex with a 4700/4800u processor.

I am a bit intrigued by the Envy x360 which can be configured with a 4700u, 16 GB Ram, 400 nit screen, and WIFI 6.  The closest I've seen to what I'm looking for. Hoping reviews will start popping up soon.

randy

i like how much people are complaining about these laptops, i bought a yoga with a i7 with intel onboard graphics and it cost me 1100 bux it was so slow (to me atleast) i gave it to my wifes sister, people that complain will never be happy no matter what they are offered and always will complain about something even though these laptops are worlds better than what was available pre-renoir at affordable prices even and i dont know why everyone is so hung up on it having dedicated graphics, does anyone really game on a laptop?

qwoeirup

Quote from: Pablo240 on May 29, 2020, 22:32:23
Yep, slower Ram as well.  Such a shame that there are still no high end Ryzen 4000 ultrabooks on the horizon.  I would not hesitate to purchase something like a spectre x360, xps 13, or galaxy book flex with a 4700/4800u processor.

I am a bit intrigued by the Envy x360 which can be configured with a 4700u, 16 GB Ram, 400 nit screen, and WIFI 6.  The closest I've seen to what I'm looking for. Hoping reviews will start popping up soon.

The Lenovo Slim 7 looks pretty decent. There is also an Asus Zenbook with Ryzen 4700U, and both of those have LPDDR4X ram. But if you need a 2-in-1 the options are pretty slim indeed.

Pablo240

Quote from: randy on May 29, 2020, 23:26:13
i like how much people are complaining about these laptops, i bought a yoga with a i7 with intel onboard graphics and it cost me 1100 bux it was so slow (to me atleast) i gave it to my wifes sister, people that complain will never be happy no matter what they are offered and always will complain about something even though these laptops are worlds better than what was available pre-renoir at affordable prices even and i dont know why everyone is so hung up on it having dedicated graphics, does anyone really game on a laptop?

That's exactly my point, these Renoir chips are great and easily outperform the latest Intel i7 chips.  The issue is that, for the most part, they are only available in budget laptops that are often limited to 8 GB Ram, less than stellar build quality, and most importantly (to me) they have sub par displays. 

There's no question that there is tremendous value to be had performance wise from the Ryzen 4000u laptops that are available.  If that's what you're shopping for then you won't be disappointing.  My specific gripe is that I'm shopping for a high end convertible laptop with a 4700/4800u.  OEMs are reserving high end models for Intel while the superior Ryzen chips go to the budget and mid range models. 

Pablo240

Quote from: qwoeirup on May 29, 2020, 23:56:22
The Lenovo Slim 7 looks pretty decent. There is also an Asus Zenbook with Ryzen 4700U, and both of those have LPDDR4X ram. But if you need a 2-in-1 the options are pretty slim indeed.

Agreed those are some of the more appealing options out there.  The Lenovo Slim 7 only has an 8 GB option currently and is sold out, apparently they may have more config options later this summer.  The Zenbook 14 doesn't have any announced US availability that I've seen. 

Ultimately I would prefer a 2 in 1 which appears to be Envy x360 or bust at the moment.  Perhaps something surprising will pop up. 

Anhar

If Dell could make AMD 4000H series XPS 15 without any dedicated GPU, it could sell like hot cake.

davids

Quote from: Pablo240 on May 30, 2020, 00:49:41

That's exactly my point, these Renoir chips are great and easily outperform the latest Intel i7 chips.  The issue is that, for the most part, they are only available in budget laptops that are often limited to 8 GB Ram, less than stellar build quality, and most importantly (to me) they have sub par displays. 

There's no question that there is tremendous value to be had performance wise from the Ryzen 4000u laptops that are available.  If that's what you're shopping for then you won't be disappointing.  My specific gripe is that I'm shopping for a high end convertible laptop with a 4700/4800u.  OEMs are reserving high end models for Intel while the superior Ryzen chips go to the budget and mid range models.

Exactly. That's why I'm pretty certain that this is Intel putting the pressure on OEMs to make it seem to the public that AMD is only for lower end. And it seems to be working since the OEMs are all falling in line. Bad for consumers.

Kekkai

Quote from: davids on May 30, 2020, 12:34:26
Quote from: Pablo240 on May 30, 2020, 00:49:41

Exactly. That's why I'm pretty certain that this is Intel putting the pressure on OEMs to make it seem to the public that AMD is only for lower end. And it seems to be working since the OEMs are all falling in line. Bad for consumers.

I'm in the market right now for a premium clamshell laptop, not a convertible, and feeling FOMO over the possibility of buying a premium Intel-equipped laptop right now only to have mfgs producing superior Ryzen 4700/4800/4900 models next year, possibly at lower price.

However I suspect the problem is a bit more subtle than just Intel pressuring OEMs. At least, perhaps not in any ominous sense. Rather Intel sinks a lot of resources into maintaining good relationships with OEMs in various ways, and the OEMs can't afford to just jump ship and retool for what *might* have been the next big thing in Ryzen 4000. Plus they'd be undercutting their own current Intel-quipped upper-tier offerings which were already in the production pipeline if they released Ryzen-equipped ones this late in the game, as they would have to be cheaper while also offering better performance and efficiency.

So my point is that yes it's bad for consumers but perhaps not as straightforward and sinister-sounding as Intel "pressuring" OEMs. Maybe they don't really have to pressure them at all. Regardless I hope OEMs get with the program sooner rather than later.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview