News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

GTA 5, Civilization 6, Borderlands, and just maybe The Witcher 3: great, but who exactly are all these Epic games for, anyways?

Started by Redaktion, May 28, 2020, 19:10:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Epic Games Store has been offering a steady stream of AAA titles free for quite some time, now. But considering the sheer popularity of games like GTA 5 and the prevalence of piracy, it begs the question: who exactly are these free games for?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/GTA-5-Civilization-6-Borderlands-and-just-maybe-The-Witcher-3-great-but-who-exactly-are-all-these-Epic-games-for-anyways.466996.0.html

ChrisSH

Just putting this out there, but I'm a pretty good example of who this is for.

I haven't been much of a gamer for probably 10 years, but have the epic game launcher to access UE4 for visualization work. I've not only started playing games again because of the free games, but have, as of the current sale, started paying for games. I'm sure there are others like me out there, and with the stay at home orders and large number of people out of work, there are plenty of non-game enthusiasts who have the time to jump into it.

Giving away 5 year old games is also a good way to encourage people to check out other games by the same companies.

watzupken

EPIC is fairly new in the game as compared to the likes of Steam. Now most people have a lot of games on Steam, which likely will draw them back to Steam. Offering free games on EPIC is really to help build up the game library there, which will encourage you to use it more often. There is also an added advantage of making people visit the store weekly, which may result in some sale.

anakwarnet

i actually save the library, not intent to buy in near future, because of difficult in payment method for most of store. yes in most country is very easy, but in some country, its difficult, and sometimes just more "easy" to download / buy a pirated version of the movie/games/software.
in my country, some international antivirus software just using different approach, using most using payment method in my country, and make antivirus can subscript monthly rather than yearly make this antivirus more accessable for most people.

so, pirated software sometimes not about the price only, but sometimes about easy payment method.

Abc

Lots off exclusives whit high hardware, network charactertics comes out there I like Civization game.

AncestralSpark

Quote from: ChrisSH on May 28, 2020, 20:51:21
Just putting this out there, but I'm a pretty good example of who this is for.

I haven't been much of a gamer for probably 10 years, but have the epic game launcher to access UE4 for visualization work. I've not only started playing games again because of the free games, but have, as of the current sale, started paying for games. I'm sure there are others like me out there, and with the stay at home orders and large number of people out of work, there are plenty of non-game enthusiasts who have the time to jump into it.

Giving away 5 year old games is also a good way to encourage people to check out other games by the same companies.

This also describes me! There seems to be a subset of people you haven't considered.

Mihir

Well I think people are misunderstanding India's gaming scene, Here in India we can spend money on games you can see PUBG mobile for example but when it comes to PC many people don't have high end pc to support the AAA titles so people might not be inclined to pay 2000 INR for game like GTA 5 which they can't even run on their tower. Also I think PC gaming community is slowly growing in India and maybe these free games from Epic can be push for some people to join into it.

Mick

I'm a casual gamer and I signed up to Epic over steam and purchased Witcher 3 among a couple of other games due to their free games offers. So I think it works for new and non-hardcore gamers.

HugeCowPatty

This article is dumb. I've been an active gamer for 30 years. I have GTAV for Xbox 360. I don't have The Witcher 3 and only just bought Civ 6 on steam a week before this went free on Epic (talk about bad timing). This isn't because I don't want to play these games. It's because my time is limited and I so I pick and choose what I spend my money on, like most people. This article assuming that if you play games and want these games you have then already is stupid.

John Titor

The next game is Ark Survival Evolved and it was leaked weeks ago. Please do you research before putting up articles.

hfm

I never bought GTA V on any platform. To assume what this article is assuming is a lack of vision.

AndreFontes

This article would've made sense if we were only talking about the single player, offline mode. The key aspect of this offering is the possibility to log onto the Online mode, a no-option with pirated copies.

Also, for regular players, it's pretty clear the idea of this promo was to both boost the sales of shark cards (buying the in-game currency) with both sales at those and eye-catching in-game expensive assets, as well as getting people who didn't got to play the latest installment into the series for the upcoming new release.

This article, sorry to say, seems like a huge shot on the foot. The investigation and premises are right, but lacked to analyse the key aspects of it.

Beastman

I already owned gtav PC disk version got it again on epic just coz why not. Been a steam user since the late 90's but epic has given more free games than my whole steam library. Not all of them are things I would actually play but who cares they're free.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview