News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Samsung Galaxy Book S Hands-on: Extremely light and long battery runtime

Started by Redaktion, May 27, 2020, 15:08:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Samsung Galaxy Book S has arrived in our office for our full review. We are positively surprised by the very light chassis as well as the initial battery runtime test. However, there are also software limitations due to the Snapdragon processor.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Samsung-Galaxy-Book-S-Hands-on-Extremely-light-and-long-battery-runtime.466901.0.html

A.

To say that it doesn't accept 64bit programs is misleading: the emulator doesn't accept x64 binaries, otherwise the laptop runs 64bit ARM binaries just fine. Plus, almost every serious Linux distribution has an ARM64 version nowadays, so why the fuss?

anon

I do have many questions about ARM laptops, so I'll just rattle some off.

I would really like to see a list of the most popular Windows programs which do not have 32-bit versions available. Are all Firefox extensions going to work?

How do device drivers work on this--would most printers have appropriate drivers? Webcams, etc.? My MB16AC type-C portable monitor? My phone for transferring files?

Does this processor support AES instructions? How does Truecrypt benchmark on this machine?

Any quirks with Bluetooth connectivity?

Does the Windows firewall still perfectly filter traffic to/from the wifi and WWAN interfaces?

Does this run Android Studio running an ARM-based emulated phone any better?

Modern CPUs are infamous for nuisance wake-up events which lead to high power usage unnecessarily, and programmers might not know which calls will lead to waking the CPU or how to work around it. Should we be concerned about 32-bit x86 programs running in the background causing high power usage on this machine?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview