News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Udoo X86 II: A powerful Raspberry Pi alternative that supports Windows 10 and is Arduino compatible

Started by Redaktion, May 25, 2020, 19:55:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Udoo X86 II is a new alternative to the popular Raspberry Pi. The single-board computer (SBC) has been designed using an Arduino Leonardo-compatible platform and has a quad-core X86 processor.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Udoo-X86-II-A-powerful-Raspberry-Pi-alternative-that-supports-Windows-10-and-is-Arduino-compatible.466630.0.html

DougJudy

I really like this kind of boards, really nice to test and quickly hack together small projects, but at this price point the latte panda is a lot better for the same price

Bob's Your Uncle

So, what is the big push for x86 architecture lately on boards that are 5-6x the cost of a Pi and will require bigger cases, heat sinks, and cooling apparatus?
The allure of the Pi is the cost and the relatively decent performance for an extra small form factor. It is a project computer and was never designed to replace a full workstation. Compare the Udoo against other PCs because that is where it will be shown as an over priced SOC guaranteed to cost you twice it's asking price once it is fully equipped/kitted out. I can buy a Pi with a case, fan, and power supply for less than $100 USD.

Plus, why should anyone take tech advice from a barrister with a political science degree?

Teaser wolf

wwwbd

Several comments are from busybodies who think they know what is best for everyone else.

Windows is a selling point on x86 boards because THAT is why SOME people look at these boards.  They need to run Windows for THEIR solution.

They have THEIR use cases, YOU have yours.  Grow up and learn some tolerance for people different than you!

SpaceJaMes

What?!  They didn't mention anything about any decent DAC nor was there mention of any decent ADC.  These can be real price setting components, since for stereo audio, you'd need dual channel, and for some of us more "play along at home" types such as myself, I'm not excited about forking our 70$ for audio output then another 40$ for decent input, and having to basically solder the whole job up.  I guess it's just not for people who want to learn about digital audio and synthesis:(

jimdot

Some people need more powerful processing but combined with the bare pinouts and a small form factor of a Pi. It's not so much an "alternative" in the sense that they are 1:1 comparable, it's somewhere to go for a more robust capability in comparable function and form.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview