News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Intel Tiger Lake Gen12 Xe iGPU offers significantly better performance than Ice Lake Gen11 at same TDP, finally surpassing Vega 8 in AMD Renoir

Started by Redaktion, May 20, 2020, 18:49:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

We have received exclusive 3DMark Fire Strike results pertaining to Tiger Lake-U Gen12 Xe iGPUs, which are slated to be available as 48, 80, and 96 EU parts. The results seem to indicate that Xe can offer nearly twice the performance of corresponding Ice Lake Gen11 at the same TDP while also surpassing the Vega 8 in the AMD Ryzen 7 4800U; thus, bringing Intel to the forefront of mobile iGPU performance.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Tiger-Lake-Gen12-Xe-iGPU-offers-significantly-better-performance-than-Ice-Lake-Gen11-at-same-TDP-finally-surpassing-Vega-8-in-AMD-Renoir.466087.0.html

ascariss

I am sure your sources are trustworthy, and there was more information provided to your site which was not posted but an image like that can be created in photoshop in 10 minutes.

Klaus Hinum

Wurde Dir von einem in unserem Forum oder durch Notebookcheck geholfen? Dann verfass doch einen User Testbericht über dein Notebook und gib damit etwas an die Community zurück!

kanny

Trusted source : own lol conflict of interest stop making things up like ice lake and comet lakes were bad as expected

william blake

1. 3dmark is garbage. misleading af. stop using it.
2. tdp is also garbage. useless parameter for the consumers. misleading af. stop using it.
how about cs:go, dota, rocket league and measure consumption?

DougJudy

Quote from: william blake on May 20, 2020, 20:10:04
2. tdp is also garbage. useless parameter for the consumers. misleading af. stop using it.

Those games can run on about anything, if you want to benchmark it with games you need something more recent and graphic heavy like shadow of tomb raider, witcher 3, ac odissey, gta v etc.. they might not be competitive or the genre you like, but that's how you test a gpu

pshepard

Quote from: william blake on May 20, 2020, 20:10:04

really man, are you ever go to bed?

can you pls tell how much amd pays for one comment nowadays?

william blake

Quote from: DougJudy on May 20, 2020, 20:17:27
Those games can run on about anything, if you want to benchmark it with games you need something more recent and graphic heavy like shadow of tomb raider, witcher 3, ac odissey, gta v etc.. they might not be competitive or the genre you like, but that's how you test a gpu
we are talking about integrated video cards.

DougJudy

Quote from: william blake on May 20, 2020, 21:34:00
Quote from: DougJudy on May 20, 2020, 20:17:27
we are talking about integrated video cards.

So what!? The Vega 6 in the Ryzen 5 4500U does around 30 fps at 1080p low'ish settings in ac odyssey, this should handle something similar (better, worse, i don't know, but it's something very much possible to check and a better and more realistic test than have it run a game without intesive graphics at hundreds of fps that about any computer can run in a similar fashion)

A

Tigerlake is only marginally better than Vega 8, and considering the new architecture it's bound to have issues with drivers and dev support for the first year. Then there is the face that by the time tigerlake is released, Zen 3 will be around the corner.

DavidC1

QuoteThe 3DMark Fire Strike results that we've received show that even the entry-level Core i3 Tiger Lake with 48 EUs is about 20% faster than the Ice Lake Iris Plus Graphics G7 with 64 EUs.

Your calculation is incorrect. It's 40% faster. It's ~1.5 versus >2.

If you call 40% marginal, sure. :)

A

Based on previous article, the 48 EU scored 2,467 graphics score on firestrike. Looking at that chart, the 96 EU is about 1.5X higher performance, so 3,700 around. Compared to 3,887 seen for 15w 4800u.

End of the day, using a vague chart is pointless. We need some actual numbers.

Valantar

I sincerely hope there was more to this leak than the image in the post, as that was  ... unimpressive. Not in what it says, but what it is. Btw, has any Ice Lake G4 SKU (the baseline for that "chart") actually been used in any shipping device? All I've seen is G1 and G7.

Beyond that though, this is nonetheless promising (should it have any truth to it). Nothing in the PC space would make me happier than a truly competitive iGPU market with real generational performance gains.

As noted by several people above, 3DMark is a relatively poor metric when it comes to Intel though. For Nvidia and AMD it roughly approximates relative gaming performance (though per-title variance can differ greatly from this), but in the case of Intel, 3DMark is one of extremely few titles with actually good driver optimizations. This is easily seen in the recurring theme of good 3DMark scores yet terrible in-game performance for Iris Plus iGPUs (with the exception of a few titles, like LoL and CS:GO). The main issue with Intel iGPUs is as such not peak performance, but rather the sorry state of their drivers and software.

All I really want is a thin and light laptop that can reliably play light games (Rocket League is a particular desire) at >60fps at 1080p medium or so, or 120fps at 720p medium. My current i7-8650u can barely maintain 30fps at 720p with everything set to low (at which point the game looks like utter garbage). This really shouldn't be a challenge, and the old Vega 10 comes close, so a good LPDDR4X Vega 8 should do it ... but there aren't any yet.

Ssgsdhgzzfhczxvvvc

Quote from: A on May 20, 2020, 22:48:36
Tigerlake is only marginally better than Vega 8, and considering the new architecture it's bound to have issues with drivers and dev support for the first year. Then there is the face that by the time tigerlake is released, Zen 3 will be around the corner.
Not really. Tigerlake laptops launch in September. Zen 3 laptops are at least 1 year away. So tigerlake will compete with Renoir.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview