News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Raspberry Pi: Turn the popular single-board computer into a NAS and a media center with free cloud storage

Started by Redaktion, May 20, 2020, 15:44:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

A new project can transform the humble Raspberry Pi into a media center in a rather simple manner. The Pi can access both locally stored data or data stored in the cloud.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Raspberry-Pi-Turn-the-popular-single-board-computer-into-a-NAS-and-a-media-center-with-free-cloud-storage.466079.0.html

Michael Eiler

I wanted to use my RPI4 for similar purposes but noticed a few limitations which I documented in my blog in detail: michaelspinboard.blogspot.com .
Summoning up my experience: it works and performs well if you don't care about crypto since the soc lacks AES extensions. Also using a SATA SSD as data storage drive didn't work out as many of the 2.5" drive cases still use outdated controllers (I tried three of them...).

I didn't cover hardware video encoders and decoders in my blog post but I successfully managed to get h264 encode/decode running after recompiling the kernel on Ubuntu and enabling an additional kernel module. But it looks like they are switching over to v4l2_m2m in kernel 5.4 which still takes time to majure . (but it is technically a good decision to use an open, modern api).

I still like the RPI4, it's an amazing single board computer. Especially considering the price. But for my own setup I decided to use an AsRock DeskMini A300 instead.

HelSteven

So what chance is there for us uncodified meson types. How do you actually plug your hard drives in and when? Most notable is the unintelligible video...what are they thinking? I guess it could be me though?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview