News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

MSI GS66 Stealth 10SGS Laptop Review: Core i7 or Core i9?

Started by Redaktion, May 17, 2020, 08:27:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

It's been a long time since we've seen a completely redesigned GS laptop from MSI. The GS66 is a leap forward for the series in terms of visual style and build quality while the new processors are just okay upgrades at best.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GS66-Stealth-10SGS-Laptop-Review-Core-i7-or-Core-i9.464453.0.html

A

That seems like pretty poor touchpad and keyboard.

What difference does and extra wide clickpad make if it has no physical buttons? It makes it useless for gaming.

As for the keyboard, they stuck the up arrow key between the end key and shift key? And whats with that ctrl/fn key? It seems like they had plenty of space left on the right and left of the keyboard, so not sure why they decided to cram these keys in.

K

I am pretty sure you can recharge over the TB3 port by PD.

Also the Aero/Aorus has the 90W 2070 Super Max-Q while the GS66 only comes with the 80W 2080SMQ variant, hence the marginal differences (+the cpu).

btw setting the refresh rate to 60hz while doing productivity tasks gave me almost 2 hours longer battery life.

Qlien

Yeah keyboard design is pretty weird, why did they duplicate slash key next to right alt? Instead of it they should just place there fn key and make wide ctrl key next to it. Something wrong is going on in msi keyboard layout department.

Can I just get nice looking laptop with keyboard design copied from my old lenovo y50-70, it was just a perfect keyboard ...

Qlien

And MSI if you are reading this, I am sorry but your laptops look outdated, and unfortunately ugly. Look at new Dells, look at surface laptops and books by microsoft, and compare it to your laptops. MSI laptops look like they are from 10 years ago. In addition to that there are small things like input ports are placed uneven, or all of them have different colors which looks tacky.

One of the good things about msi laptops is they still have usable keyboard layout for professional and gaming use with full sized arrow keys.

Q

NOTE in your cons- "no TB3" yet infact you can see it in your pictures

RSS

Laptop is thicker because the board is not flipped, you need to undervolt this machine, its possible with the test model through the bios hidden feature but msi may block that in the future, somehow i would go with gigabyte or lenovo over this one...

Amirh

couldnt understand whats the diffrences between this and an ultra book can you tell me what are the diffrences?

william blake

Quote from: Amirh on May 18, 2020, 03:19:44
couldnt understand whats the diffrences between this and an ultra book can you tell me what are the diffrences?
quote:
Notebookcheck Top 10 Ultrabooks
also detachable solutions
no size limitation
chassis height slimmer than 21 mm
lighter than 2 kg
web browsing and/or NBC Wi-Fi test at least 7 hours
15W Intel CPU
touchscreen

Jace

Are you sure you can't charge this via USB C?

It is being advertise as being able to.

Diaa S

Thanks for the detailed review as usual.
There is a mistake in this article, USB Type-C charging IS possible for this laptop up to 100W, see the official specifications.

S S

I thought people should know that the CPU's TDP is well above spec in the GS66 with i7-10750H. The i7-10750H in this GS66 has actually been TDP upped to 65 watts(Intel's recommended value is 45 watts) out of the factory. This is why it's so hot. If you dropped PL1 down to 45W the temperatures are perfectly reasonable.

A

The Cons section at the very bottom says "No Thunderbolt 3" while the image caption towards the beginning of the article mentions a port "USB C + Thunderbolt 3"

Denis

This looks like a great product, an almost perfect match of cpu/gpu, my personal opinion would be to go with the RTX 2070, the RTX 2080 increase in price versus performance is not justified in my book, the thermal limits of the case impede on performance on more heat generating combinations. Screen wise I think 144hz is awesome, 240hz could be future proof, but 300hz, I think is just an excessive splurge, to say the least. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised when MSI went with the 82wh battery, but now with the 99.99wh battery, my jaw just dropped, they sure are going in a direction I like a lot. If I didn't just purchased a GS65 9SD last year, I would definitely go with a GS66 i7-10750H/RTX 2070 Super Max Q combination.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview