News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Toasty Intel Core i9-10900K hits 93 degrees Celsius...with a 240mm liquid cooler: beats the AMD Ryzen 9 3950X in single core but at what price?

Started by Redaktion, May 12, 2020, 10:08:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

A Weibo user recently tested the Comet Lake S Intel Core i9-10900K with an AIO 240mm liquid cooling setup. The user found that, even under high-end cooling, temps soared as high as 93 degrees on Intel's latest flagship.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Toasty-Intel-Core-i9-10900K-hits-93-degrees-Celsius-with-a-240mm-liquid-cooler-beats-the-AMD-Ryzen-9-3950X-in-single-core-but-at-what-price.464855.0.html

RioDo

Noice - so you can basically use your liquid cooler for brewing perfect coffee and tea? I need this one!

william blake

who are those potential buyers?
-cs:go is the same on a much cheaper 6-core skylakes
-all creative/production things are better on ryzens
-gaming+working is also better on ryzens, there is no such thing as geforce 2080ti@720p in the real world
-price/performance is also no good, so as heat/noise/longevity blah blah
hepl me understand. (better superpi and some pride for that-understandable, but its a tiny fraction of the market)

KyleRR

Nice.... looks like the 7700k all over again, probably used some garbage IHS and will tell their buyers that it's "Perfectly normal".  Looks like my next build will be AMD.

AnonUser

Such nonsense and bs. Person who wrote this article needs to be fired. A 240mm AiO is NOT "high end" cooling. It's the most basic cooking anyone spending over $300 should be spending.

Yes, AMD chips run cooler...because they are ful 1Ghz slower. Frequency has ALWAYS had a bigger impact on thermals than core count. Go run that AMD CPU at 5.3Ghz. IF you can get it there it will require liquid nitrogen .

This is not shilling for Intel, I just hate dishonest articles. The article also gives no information on testing methodology. Put the $500+ CPU under some real cooling, even a quality 280mm, and see what it's temps are. You didn't even say what 240mm AiO was used. The size of the radiator doesn't matter if running garbage fans or fans at a low rpm.

Sjm

Even with a 9900k you needed push pull max fan speed with noctua nf12s... going to 280mm was better.. 10900k needs atleast a 360mm aio or custom loop with 240 and 360 if gpu... a 240mm wont do anything good... even a 3950x or 3900 with 240aio isnt very good..

Grinnie Jax

Quote from: AnonUser on May 13, 2020, 01:29:52
Such nonsense and bs. Person who wrote this article needs to be fired. A 240mm AiO is NOT "high end" cooling. It's the most basic cooking anyone spending over $300 should be spending.

Yes, AMD chips run cooler...because they are ful 1Ghz slower. Frequency has ALWAYS had a bigger impact on thermals than core count. Go run that AMD CPU at 5.3Ghz. IF you can get it there it will require liquid nitrogen .

This is not shilling for Intel, I just hate dishonest articles. The article also gives no information on testing methodology. Put the $500+ CPU under some real cooling, even a quality 280mm, and see what it's temps are. You didn't even say what 240mm AiO was used. The size of the radiator doesn't matter if running garbage fans or fans at a low rpm.

Looks like the lier here is you.

1) 240 is not high end? Do you know which exact setup did they use? EK-KIT RGB 240 for almost 500 bucks is also an 240 AIO.
For i7-8700K you could get the job done with 120 mm AIO. This just shows how ridiculous can thermals become when you stretch the old architecture to 10 cores w/o even updating the TP.

2) Lie again. Ever heard of IPC? Matisse have higher IPC than Core cores, that's why they don't even need to run at same clocks.

3) "Put under some real cooling" - excuse me, what? 240 mm AIO is not a "a real cooling" for you now? I keep my 3600 running under stock cooler - how about that? No, Intel-boy, this is not normal. They are trying to sell  overheating trottling piece of old tech for silly fanboys and you are ready to eat it.

Sjm

3600 is like holding onto an uncooked potato, I'm sure it doesnt even get hott, how about post something when you get a 3900x or 3950x.. otherwise leave comments to the big boys who spend more money on their pcs for max performance

Andrew H

I think when it comes to single core performance, benchmarking it against a Ryzen 9 3900X would be closer because it's got 100mhz over the 3950X.
And there's Precision Boost Overdrive, which is disabled by default. I'm pretty sure the gap can narrow.
I just don't find CPU temperatures over 75°C to be "safe" even if modern silicon can handle it, but I'm just old fashioned. I got my 2700X under a 360mm clc.

Jeff Hunter

Crazy tdp to deal with because Intel couldn't keep up with IPC improvements so they just hit the wall in terms of voltage. AMD got lucky Intel fucked up their new node shrinks and we are all better for it. Can you imagine having to buy another 4 core mainstream processor cause Intel had no competition. Around the FX  series 6 and 8 core chips should have been coming around. As for who needs this single thread king(barely) winner? I would for ArmA, DCS World and Xplane. All three basically require the single fastest core. Too bad the heat price and anti consumerism will drive me to a 4000 series chip later this year. Then I just need to see how outrageous Nvidia prices new 3k series versus what apparently might be something competitive from  AMD. I've gone from a 2500k with 1080ti to a Ryzen7 and likely an upgraded one if ipc and overclock can be 15 to 20% and then even a red GPU. It's been a while since I've been all red with an athlon and a radeon. Competition is grand. Get your s*** together Nvidia and hope someone doesn't  come flying out with reasonably priced cards in the future.

Levi

Quote from: AnonUser on May 13, 2020, 01:29:52

What a pity that even +1GHz faster doesn't translate to "actually faster". Yet it heats up more. :)

Chriskaos669

So in other words yes it's fast but hot af and useless unless you want to dump heaps of money just to keep it cool let alone the cost of the cpu being over the top I guess it's a good time to be with ryzen I'm no fan boy but come on Intel was king for so long and they release this and expect people to want it VS the ryzen chip that might be a bit behind but not by much but we can at least use a air cooler on and not have thermal throttling issues

Josiah South

FPU load will do this to any processor on the market. Even a 2700X on a 240mm AIO will hit 90 under FPU stress.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview