News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

AMD Ryzen 4000 Zen 3 will be compatible with Socket AM4, but it is end of the road for X470, B450, and below motherboard owners

Started by Redaktion, May 11, 2020, 09:30:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

AMD's Robert Hallock has confirmed that the upcoming AMD Ryzen 4000 Zen 3 processors will be compatible with Socket AM4 as long as the motherboard features an X570 or B550 chipset. Zen 3 will not support older chipsets owing to lower space on the EEPROM of these motherboards. Future prospects of Socket AM4 depend on the industry's I/O innovation.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Ryzen-4000-Zen-3-will-be-compatible-with-Socket-AM4-but-it-is-end-of-the-road-for-X470-B450-and-below-motherboard-owners.464426.0.html

Dharan

No regrets as a owner of X370. AMD is giving me a clear upgrade path to Ryzen 9 3950X - a 16 core processor which is enough for foreseeable future... AMD really paid back for trusting them... What more do you need?

kaspark

ohah

Breaking news slowpoke edition!

Now can you get back to laptops and review something decent with 4600H.

Anonym

Quote from: kaspark on May 11, 2020, 10:06:59
Except there are X470/B450 mobos with 32MB flash and X570 mobos with 16MB flash.
Those 32MB in older motherboards are actually "hardwired" to be 2x16MB, as that is a fail-safe mechanism to avoid bricking the board in a bad BIOS update. While perhaps not impossible, I would say it is unreasonable to demand the removal of an advertised anti-brick feature, which may have been a deciding factor to purchase that board.

Cannot comment about the X570 boards with 16MB flash. The AMD guidelines likely stated the need for a 32MB flash, so it is up to the mobo manufacturer to get out of that mess.

kaspark

Quote from: Anonym on May 11, 2020, 12:35:08
Quote from: kaspark on May 11, 2020, 10:06:59
Except there are X470/B450 mobos with 32MB flash and X570 mobos with 16MB flash.
Those 32MB in older motherboards are actually "hardwired" to be 2x16MB, as that is a fail-safe mechanism to avoid bricking the board in a bad BIOS update. While perhaps not impossible, I would say it is unreasonable to demand the removal of an advertised anti-brick feature, which may have been a deciding factor to purchase that board.

Cannot comment about the X570 boards with 16MB flash. The AMD guidelines likely stated the need for a 32MB flash, so it is up to the mobo manufacturer to get out of that mess.
Source? Earlier B450 Tomahawk Max BIOSes were 18MB, it's impossible to fit 2x18MB on a 32MB chip. I'm also not finding anything about dual BIOS on this board, it has a flash BIOS button for updating BIOS without CPU inserted or unbricking after a botched update.

Anonym

Quote from: kaspark on May 11, 2020, 15:00:15B450 Tomahawk Max
That's a whole different matter. MSI clearly states the MAX line has a 32MB flash to fit their larger UEFI GUI alongside the latest AGESA updates (where other boards would have a 16MB chip). MSI is also the one with the smaller flash on the latest supported chipsets.

Sure, there are always exceptions to the rules. However, sounds more like you should ask MSI about their creative engineering than anything else. There's nothing keeping them from supporting your boards, as others have done in the past (i.e., Asrock).

kaspark

Quote from: Anonym on May 11, 2020, 16:00:08
Quote from: kaspark on May 11, 2020, 15:00:15B450 Tomahawk Max
That's a whole different matter. MSI clearly states the MAX line has a 32MB flash to fit their larger UEFI GUI alongside the latest AGESA updates (where other boards would have a 16MB chip). MSI is also the one with the smaller flash on the latest supported chipsets.

Sure, there are always exceptions to the rules. However, sounds more like you should ask MSI about their creative engineering than anything else. There's nothing keeping them from supporting your boards, as others have done in the past (i.e., Asrock).
MSI Max series are the only B450 boards to have 32MB flash. Also I just checked and all motherboards with dual BIOS feature have 2x16MB or 2x32MB flash, none of them are sharing a single chip.

The Boghu

Another press disaster by AMD. AMD could have clarified this issue by saying that it is left to the vendors to decide what gets support and guarantee 100% support on 500 motherboards. Instead they still defend their decision stupidly by saying it is an issue with BIOS capacity. Which, of course isn't true as some older boards has 32 MB BIOSes.

Adam Krause

What is the best Reliable "bang for your buck" x570 board?
(poor & switching from Intel)
(plan to start with Ryzen 5 3600xt)

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview