News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

How well does a laptop cooling pad work? We Amazon'd one ourselves to find out

Started by Redaktion, May 07, 2020, 00:31:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Temperatures will definitely go down, but we want to find out by just how much and if the increase in fan noise would be worth the trade-off. With 4.5 stars and over 11,000 reviews on Amazon, we have our expectations set quite high.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/How-well-does-a-laptop-cooling-pad-work-We-Amazon-d-one-ourselves-to-find-out.464231.0.html

A

The biggest advantage of a cooling pad is increasing the lifespan of components, especially the battery which now has become built-in so it's harder to just take it out when used as a desktop like before.

There are also suction type coolers which suck air out and are much better at cooling the laptop, but on downside they are also much louder fan noise.

adylanchng

I'm surprised at the results considering the laptop cooling pad is pulling air away from the laptop while the laptop itself is trying to pull air in from the bottom.

A

Quote from: adylanchng on May 07, 2020, 03:13:09
I'm surprised at the results considering the laptop cooling pad is pulling air away from the laptop while the laptop itself is trying to pull air in from the bottom.

To be honest, some of the advantages could have simply been things like the metal of the top absorbing like a heatsink and the holes. This test probably should have also been done on cooling pad while off to get a better control factor.

Allen.Ngo

Quote from: A on May 07, 2020, 03:25:57

To be honest, some of the advantages could have simply been things like the metal of the top absorbing like a heatsink and the holes. This test probably should have also been done on cooling pad while off to get a better control factor.

That's true, some of the temperature advantages could simply be due to the elevated positioning of the cooling pad surface. It's unusual for someone to buy a cooling pad only to use it that way though. Would've been interesting to test nonetheless, maybe we'll revisit that in the future with a different laptop. Thanks for pointing that one out!

rotorheadman

It's blowing air onto the bottom of the laptop, like most laptop coolers.

william blake

cooling pad is very helpful in determining if your laptop garbage or not.
just answer the questions:
does the cooling pad help your laptop? did you buy a cooling pad? do you use a cooling pad? do you like the cooling pad?
if one of the answers is "yes", congratulations, your laptop sucks.

pshepard

Quote from: william blake on May 07, 2020, 06:43:20
does the cooling pad help your laptop? did you buy a cooling pad? do you use a cooling pad? do you like the cooling pad?

can you please give us the example of laptop that didn't sucks? Because you basically just hate all the laptops

JoeBlack

Exactly my point of view :) If you need a cooling mat to run at decent temperature, there was something seriously wrong with that laptop in a first place ... or you have a Macbook Air.
Sorry I could not help myself with that cool-pun.

Surfer

So pretty much almost every gaming laptop. Gotcha.

william blake

Quote from: pshepard on May 07, 2020, 06:51:42
can you please give us the example of laptop that didn't sucks? Because you basically just hate all the laptops
my hp 17-caxxx and lenovo 330-17 do not require extra cooling.
but you are right, i found that laptop market is the worst market i know. by far the worst. i can wright a book why think so.

william blake

Quote from: Surfer on May 07, 2020, 08:27:26
i'll tell you how my gaming laptop should look like.
-military or industrial or casual look, no stupid names, no stupid logos, no stupid rgb ,no stupid plastic grills or something. not black not white not these annoyingly familiar colors.
-thick enough to carry a couple of 100x10 mm low rpm coolers inside. and enough copper.
-6-core cpu, maybe 8. 45w max, geforce 55w max. both configurable by software down to 1/3-1/2 of the max power. so cpu+gpu total consumption 40-100w.
-waterproof and dustproof keyboard.
-400-500 nits screen. slightly matte. maybe -va not ips. 5ms response. 120+hz
-double m2 ssd
-included in package, designed in the same style and color: mouse, speakers, pad(not cooling pad, mouse pad), dock with some ports, case to pack all s*** above in it.
-dead silent in browsing. +3+5db louder than environment in gaming.

RZ1192

Quote from: william blake on May 07, 2020, 09:10:44
Quote from: Surfer on May 07, 2020, 08:27:26
i'll tell you how my gaming laptop should look like.
-military or industrial or casual look, no stupid names, no stupid logos, no stupid rgb ,no stupid plastic grills or something. not black not white not these annoyingly familiar colors.
-thick enough to carry a couple of 100x10 mm low rpm coolers inside. and enough copper.
-6-core cpu, maybe 8. 45w max, geforce 55w max. both configurable by software down to 1/3-1/2 of the max power. so cpu+gpu total consumption 40-100w.
-waterproof and dustproof keyboard.
-400-500 nits screen. slightly matte. maybe -va not ips. 5ms response. 120+hz
-double m2 ssd
-included in package, designed in the same style and color: mouse, speakers, pad(not cooling pad, mouse pad), dock with some ports, case to pack all s*** above in it.
-dead silent in browsing. +3+5db louder than environment in gaming.

You're not looking for gaming laptops then.

Alex544

An ignorant comment by blake? Wow what a surprise.

Literally every gaming laptop would benefit from a cooling pad, at least for the elevation it provides for the laptop that actually allows for airflow. The ones that wouldn't benefit are the ones that are tdp-limited by the manufacturer aka craptops.

Alex544

Quote from: william blake on May 07, 2020, 08:37:21
Quote from: pshepard on May 07, 2020, 06:51:42
my hp 17-caxxx and lenovo 330-17 do not require extra cooling.
but you are right, i found that laptop market is the worst market i know. by far the worst. i can wright a book why think so.
Of course a 17" with 15w CPU wouldn't care about extra cooling.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview