News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

EnergyStar confirms Core i7-1065G7 and 32 GB of RAM for the Surface Book 3 but no Ryzen 4000 Renoir options; third Surface Go 2 SKU confirmed too

Started by Redaktion, May 03, 2020, 02:30:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Featuring a Core i7-1065G7 and 32 GB of RAM, the Surface Book 3 SKUs that have flown through Energy Star are sizeable upgrades over their predecessors. It looks increasingly unlikely that there will be any Ryzen 4000 Renoir options, though. Energy Star has confirmed the existence of a third Surface Go 2 SKU, too.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/EnergyStar-confirms-Core-i7-1065G7-and-32-GB-of-RAM-for-the-Surface-Book-3-but-no-Ryzen-4000-Renoir-options-third-Surface-Go-2-SKU-confirmed-too.463569.0.html

jeremy

The only remotely acceptable excuse for the SB3 not having superior AMD chips is if TB3 is included. After all, MSFT will have to go out of their way to ensure the integrated TB3 controllers do not have the correct retimers/redrivers (versions of which are already necessary for modern USB-C features, save for the few that are USB 2.0 only).

Of course, we can be reasonably assured MSFT will continue pushing their proprietary Surface Connector, which is fine in its own right and has the uniqueness of being the main remaining magnetic latch charging connector, but it seems to come at the cost of TB3.

Oh, well. MSFT seems bent on the Surface lineup having all the worst attributes of MSFT systems.

Ryan Fang

TB3 is unsafe, I rather not have a seized laptop be able to have it's memory read by government authorities. With TB3, a seized laptop could be placed in liquid nitrogen to preserve the memory, and TB3 could be used to read the memory without removing ram chips, which would be difficult to do at low temperature. A besides, surface dock is nice, a USB-c dock would be nice, but no thank you TB3, a security issue.

Joel

Ryan, that's awesome!  I've never met a spy before.  How many times have you had a laptop seized?  Glad to hear they couldn't get anything from you because you avoid TB3. Stay strong and keep up the good work!

dttbn

Quote from: Ryan Fang on May 03, 2020, 03:39:18
TB3 is unsafe, I rather not have a seized laptop be able to have it's memory read by government authorities. With TB3, a seized laptop could be placed in liquid nitrogen to preserve the memory, and TB3 could be used to read the memory without removing ram chips, which would be difficult to do at low temperature. A besides, surface dock is nice, a USB-c dock would be nice, but no thank you TB3, a security issue.

A frozen laptop? Wow that's awesome.

You could though, I don't know, maybe shutdown the computer? Wouldn't that be a simple countermeasure?

Also, this freezing memory modules attack vector wouldn't be worth the troubles and difficulty, it's easier to just beat you with a stick until you reveal your passwords

Pablo240

This is pretty disappointing. It's one thing to bypass Ryzen, but by the time this ships Tiger Lake chips will be availableto OEMs. 

They've waited this long to refresh the surface Book, now they'll be a tough sell by the holiday season when other flagships are offering much better performance.  Plus all the Ryzen 4000 laptops launching now.

Billz

Bring on Ryzen or I can wait. No rush to buy big expensive items at the moment. I can wait another year.

Mister2

Energy Star confirms that I will not be buying a surface book this release.

Sorry, OEMs, I need more power than what the Intel chips provide.  I've owned 2 laptops with the 1065g7 and they don't cut it for my use.

Sigh, someday...

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview